speed sensor

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by VFR Dave, Apr 27, 2015.

1. VFR Dave

VFR Dave New Member

United States
    Map
    My fifth (in 97,000 miles) speed sensor is about to fail ( the speedometer needle is jumping around again). Every time I replace a speed sensor my speedometer works as good as new again, until the next failure. I have performed all of the checks in the service manual, and nothing but the sensor seems to be broken. I have checked all of the connections, many times now. Can anybody please help? Thank you.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I had the one on my '09 go out about a year and half ago, but has been good so far and seems odd that yours keeps failing. Have you done a test on your electrical system and inspected the grounds and harness connection points for hints of electrical problems? How long does the sensor work until it gives signs of failure? Also, what year is your VFR?

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    What part is failing? On my 5th gen just the cheap plastic coupling that slips over the countershaft sprocket but failed, and that was just a few dollars to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. VFR Dave

VFR Dave New Member

United States
    Map
    My bike is a 1998. I have owned it since new. The first sensor lasted 32,323 miles. The second was replaced at 48,474 miles. The third sensor was replaced at 62,475 miles. The fourth sensor was replaced at 92,436 miles. The bike is just shy of 97,000 miles now. I have checked everything that the Honda service manual recommends, including all of the connections. I have never failed the plastic drive nut - never even saw any unusual wear or damage to it. The sensors just keep giving out, and I have to accept that all five sensors can not possibly have been bad, and that something on my bike is causing them to fail. Thanks for any advice.

5. VFR Dave

VFR Dave New Member

United States
    Map
    Are there multiple grounds on this bike that I should check? I don't think it's a bad connection, or a short, because every time I replace the sensor with a new one it works as good as new, immediately. I have replaced the stator on this bike once, and the rectifier / regulator three times. The third time I replaced the rectifier / regulator I bought an after market unit. I also installed a VFRness (Google it if you need more info) in hopes of an improvement to my charging system. The VFRness has only been installed since 92,436 miles - which I just checked my service records, and I replaced my speed sensor for a fifth time at the same time, so this will be the sixth speed sensor that has failed on this bike.