How do I ride this thing?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RobVG, May 2, 2015.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I bought a 2006 VFR last weekend. I have put around 200 miles on it. I’m still learning how to ride it and have a “few” questions.

Where is the sweet spot- the rpms you normally cruise at? I find on the back roads that 4k to 4.5k the bike runs smoothly and I don’t have to shift much- just roll it on. One of our exalted members (with the same bike) says 5k is good for him. I have to ask this because I have stock exhaust and can’t hear what the bike is doing over the helmet noise.

Also the bike will shudder a little bit at anything below 3k unless your in 1st. It’s not difficult to get above 3k in 1st but it's slightly aggressive in a town full of hungry cops. I’m almost afraid to ask this but was the shudder just from shifting too early? I mean I can ride it smoothly if I keep the r’s up a bit.

I have a hard time keeping it from "lurching" from 2nd to 3rd when I'm off the throttle and letting the clutch out. I've tried to give it some gas when letting the clutch out and it helps a little but I haven't mastered it yet. Suggestions?

When I don't feel like blipping the throttle while shiffing coming to a stop, am I just getting too old?

The bike handles great especially compare to the 700 but I think the 700 might turn a little quicker. I keep riding them both, just don’t have the heart to let the old girl go yet.

P.S. I don’t mind looking stoopid- obviously

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The v4 does not like to be under load under 3k rpm.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :smash:better get some sliders when you fall down

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks Tink, I kinda figured that but wanted to make sure.

5. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    As a general rule I keep the engine at 4k or above, in second gear I'll let it drop below, since the meager torque is actually usable at that ratio. As far as performance below 3K, I mean the bike idles at 1400rpm, I'm pretty sure the only time I spend with the rpms below 3k I'm using the clutch as well or coasting. But I really don't understand the complaints about sub 3k torque, this isn't a tractor, don't expect it to pull like one. As for shifting, it mostly just takes practice. This bike has the nicest transmission I've ever used on any vehicle, but the engine is responsive and torque-y enough that slow deliberate shifts can be jolting due to the rpm mismatch. Best advice I can give is to be quick with your shifts, don't try to be smooth by being slow and cautious, I find myself missing the matching rpm by a mile when I do that unless I drag piles of clutch. Pretend that you're going to make the shift without the use of your clutch at all, and then use the clutch to smooth it out.

I'm tired, did I make any sense?

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    If you can find a deal on a PowerCommander III or newer, that will solve the jerkiness under 3K. As an older rider, I have learned to improve my pace over time. Now I do my twisties in 5th gear and try and use the torque coming out of corners 4-5Krpm. There is one stretch of road that I wind it up to 10K in 1 & 2 off the traffic light, just to let the VTEC work, and keep the cobwebs out.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Just Pinch it.....and roll on. She like it hard....!

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    When I am shifting up, I normally take the RPM's up close to the point that the Vtec kicks in and shift then. If I feel spirited, I will really get on it but I seldom come close to redlining it. These things have an awful high red-line. The only reason I keep it below the VTEC stage for shifting is that I believe this is a fuel saving. When I don't care about the fuel economy, then I don't care about avoiding the VTEC.

I learned the art of clutch less shifting out of necessity a few years back. (tendinitis in the elbow, affects the strength and pain threshold of the wrists). Clutch less shifting is really quite easy and actually, with a little practice, and very little, it can be quite smooth too. Generally I don't do this from 1st to second but it can be done. You just need to be more aggressive in the shift. Others here have mastered downshifting without the clutch as well. I am not so talented so stay away from that.

What I find about running at about 5K, is that if you want to open it up, there is lots of torque left at that RPM. Just hammer it and away you go until you find it is time to up shift to the next gear.

Just get out there and ride the bitch. I learned to ride on mine. And it is still running. They are forgiving if you are hard on them. Kinda like a cheap down town hooker.

9. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    That made a lot of sense PawnBoy. I read it a few times. "Slow deliberate shifts" is what I've been doing. I guess I need to learn new habits. The transmission definitely has a sharp, tight, clunk to it- unlike the old mushy 700 where sometimes I don't know if I made the shift until the clutch is let out.

I was able to smooth out the jerkiness after the first few miles. I almost turned around and brought it back to the PO but I had enough correspondence with him that I couldn't imagine him effing me. Besides, the bike was pristine and came with farkles. So thanks Allyance for verifying the bike can run rough if not ridden right.

"Just Pinch it.....and roll on. She like it hard....!" She sure likes a good pounding that's for sure. Vtec is very noticable, she comes alive and it only takes a split second to get the r's up to turn it on. I've been taking easy while learning how to ride it, haven't seen triple digits yet but it's hard to remain disciplined, like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    That's just it Randy, I've never shifted w/o the clutch. I was always scared to cause damage. I have a few books on riding technique that I haven't read yet. I'll have to check them out.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    don't forget sliders -save a lot of money and maybe your foot. I shift just before vtec kicks in, but when I go fast its All vtec, I have lowered the gearing by rear gear +2, that makes for a very fast bike as the stock gearing is too high.

12. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Do the PAIR mod & it will smooth out a lot of the sub-3000 rpm jerkiness.

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sent you a PM.

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I can't believe we made it to post #14 with no picture of this "motorcycle".

:worthless:

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe stop trying to ride the new bike like the old one. IMO under 3K rpm is lugging the bike in 4th-6th. Reprogramming and tuning may help but lugging an engine is lugging

Your clutch may be getting flakey. The other owners may have been clutch "riders"

Downshifting withoot the clutch is not real bright unless ya got mucho pesos for fixing a gearbox.

Yeah, I know. The fast guys do it all the time. That's why they are the fast guys and we ain't.

The answer of course is one of those auto tranny 750 Hondas from the 70's one or two Moto-Guzzies, a Boss Hoss, or one a those shitty Honda 1200's that get crappy mileage ;)

There may even be a few HarleyMatics oot there that I don't even want to think aboot. They give me bad dreams as it is..

16. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Chain too loose will cause extra jerkyness as well. Make sure it's properly adjusted and don't go too tight with it either.

frame sliders, contrary to unpopular opinion will not help your shifting.

17. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map

Pics? I thought you'd never ask...

SDC10478.jpg SDC10480.jpg SDC10481.jpg SDC10483.jpg SDC10485.jpg SDC10486.jpg SDC10489.jpg SDC10492.jpg SDC10495.jpg SDC10496.jpg SDC10498.jpg

18. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Done in such a stunning fashion that I must forgive you.

19. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Nothing good happens below 5000 RPM . . .

20. Morpheus46

Morpheus46 New Member

Australia
    I beg to differ. Since I operated on the standard mufflers to ahem, liberate some noise, I ride it only up the the 6500 vtech change point. Below 6500 she sounds like a v8 with extractors fitted. Past that it loses is resonance and just sounds harsh and flat. Of course it goes better then but you are in plod territory and I want to keep my license.
    My old 3rd gen had no such issues. You could run it happily at any rpm you wanted. From idle to red line it was clean and smooth with torque on tap. Ahh for carbies again!