Shifting stall

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dgmart, May 19, 2015.

1. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Recently bought an '86 VFR700 that sat for years. Trying to get it back on the road. Bike won't shift into gear. She'll start in neutral and run but when I shift into first, she jumps and stalls, even with the clutch engaged. My neighbor is coming over this afternoon with his multimeter to check power and continuity but I wanted to possibly narrow down the issue, if at all possible. I have read through many posts and found that it could be "neutral safety switch", "safety switch" (on the clutch lever), or the "clutch diode". I couldn't find any post that matched my symptoms to a T, so I was hoping to get some direction here. Anything helps.

Thanks in advance.

2. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Clutch isn't grabbing, this is why it's lurching forward and stalling. Clean and/or rebuid master cylinder (mind the little pinhole in the bottom next to the bigger hole), and check the slave cylinder for smooth operation.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Put it in top gear, motor not running , pull the clutch and rock it back and forth till the plates free up

4. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Thank you both. I will try both ideas. However, I have a feeling it may not be the master cylinder or slave cylinder, as I bled the clutch system "successfully". I could be wrong in thinking that if the system was successful in bleeding and refilling that this is not the issue.

NormK, is there a risk of snapping something by rocking it if it is stuck?

5. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    I tried this and it seems to lightly "pop", loosen up and then get tight again. I don't want to keep doing this if it is wearing something out. Thoughts?

6. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Clutch system has recently been bled. Line is clear of bubbles. I checked it again this evening and same result, no bubbles of any kind. Do you still think it should be cleaned?

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    If you remove the clutch cover you can visually verify if the pressure plate is moving and if it is you will be able to remove the clutch plates at that point and free them up, which is what NormK is suggesting but withoot taking off the cover and disassembling the clutch. Aboot a 1 beer job.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

If you could do any damage rocking it back and forth, imagine what damage you could inflict with the horsepower a V4 twisting the gearbox mainshaft

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If the bike was seriously beat-upon and abused by the PO, there is a chance that the clutch plates are warped, in which case nothing but replacement will cure it. It's not unusual for clutch plates to stick together if the bike hasn't been ridden for awhile, and the advice you got here to rock the bike is good. If you're doing electrical tests, remember to test the clutch switch (and wires) too.

10. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Valid point!

11. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Thanks for your help guys. I will try rocking it again this afternoon after work to free up the plates. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll drain oil and remove clutch cover to access clutch plate directly. Knowing the previous owner personally, I seriously doubt the bike was mistreated. However, it did sit unattended for 13 years... which could be viewed as neglect (mistreatment)... hrm. :noidea:

12. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Thanks all. It was the clutch plate stuck. It is freed up now. What I did:
    1) have it in neutral 2) roll forward 3) pull clutch and shift

The first few times it didn't budge, but it slowly freed itself up. Took about 20 rolls to finally free up. Toe Cutter had it about right... 1 beer job.

Oh, I almost forgot that I did to a quick slave cylinder disassembly and cleaning/lubrication, so that I could be sure it was functioning properly. It was gunked up and a little sluggish.

Now on to other issues. Thanks again and I hope this thread is helpful to someone else down the line. I love learning how to do this stuff with my own hands (through the help of many helpful and knowledgeable friends)!

13. robles

robles New Member

Input it in leading gear, engine not running, yank your clutch i465 black and also rock this between the two till your clothing get back.
    [​IMG]

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Geeze, some Canadians sure do talk funny, eh ?

15. robles

robles New Member

Put it within prime products, motor certainly not jogging, yank the clutch system in addition to rock and roll the item backwards and forwards until the plates get back.
    [​IMG]

16. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    Got it resolved a few days back, as stated. Thanks everyone. The issue WAS the clutch plate. For those reading this forum at a later date with the same issues, please heed the above advice regarding a stuck clutch plate using the "rock and roll" method.