Road Trip or Ship It?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by saceur, May 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Ok gents I've got a bit of a dilemma and I need your help. Thanks to some young punk running a red light, i lost my baby :disturbed:

[video=youtube;ISnFUbe3gS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnFUbe3gS8&list=FLhwzbFw1p5BBlg0gPf-uyHw&index=2[/video]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fortunately I wasn't as banged up as the last time and I'm able to jump right back on that horse. I found a REALLY good deal on a 2014 VFR800 in Texas and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Question is should I have it shipped back to Cali or ride that puppy back? The cost for both is pretty close.

SHIPPING
    I found a company that will ship her back to me for about $400

ROAD TRIP
    Bus fare to Marshall TX - $160
    Gas back to Cali (7) - $150 (base on CA prices)
    Lodging (TX & AZ) - $100 1 day layover in AZ for the 500 mile service
    Food (Texas BBQ) - $80
    Joy of the ride - $Priceless
    Road Trip Total -$490

The upside to the road trip, beside riding a brand spanking new VFR, is the 1600 miles on the bike take a big chunk out of the required min miles to register 49 state bike in CA. The downside is there's a forecast for some crappy weather in EAST and Central Texas for Friday/Saturday when I plan on making the trip.

So gent, I put it to you, Road Trip or have it Shipped? Thanks in advance for your input

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Sauceman

Sauceman New Member

Map
    Road trip!

Glad your ok, good thing for a helmet cam, they never lie.

cheers

3. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Yeah when the cop got to the hospital he told me the kid said that I had run the light. I just giggled and told him "oh yeah? Well, let's just see what the GoPro says." After a Hit&Run busted me up in 2010, I never start my bike without starting my GoPro. If you ride, you see all the stupid shit people do in their Death Boxs and I think we should ALL have a silent witness with us at all times

4. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    ride it out

5. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    Definitely ride it

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    you ride if you can, go slow=your not in top shape any more

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    What a piece of $hit that guy is!! He could have very easily killed you and instead of being a man and accepting responsibility for what he did he tried to lie and act like it was your fault. If I was you I would sue the $hit out of him.

8. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Funny thing is the THREE cars in front of him ran the light so there was clearly 6 seconds of red B4 he got to the intersection.

Even without the GoPro footage there were plenty of witnesses and anyone with common sense could tell with all the damage being on the left sideof his car, it was more likely HE was the one who ran the light.

Going to miss my dark candy apple red 07 but at least I get a VFR that went back to Sport Touring and not that sport hybrid aberration that was the 2010-2013 models

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Sucks about the accident, glad you are OK though. I would ride it back. A road trip story about a new vehicle pick up is always more interesting. Plus you get to have Texas BBQ!

saceur likes this.
  10. cavman 69

cavman 69 New Member

United States
    Map
    it's a pretty boring ride across I 10, but it beats the shit out of sitting and waiting for your NEW bike.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I counted four. But hey. What the fuck is two seconds anyways? Another thing to remember. Most places you are required to stop for yellow lights unless it is not safe to do so. So you can tack another two or three seconds in your favour because that oncoming left turning bastard had the yellow light as well.

12. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
  13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    How much better a deal is the bike in East Texas than finding one in the LA area?

Were you able to buy back your bike that got totaled? Depending on the "rules" especially when getting smacked and it's the other guys fault and proven so, sometimes the buy back is not that much and it looks like the parts on your total could be sold.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Great your okay, that little mother fooker, Im sorry man.....bite me punk.
    Oh, I would not be in such a rush and spend some time looking at craiglist and ebay....but if your getting a great deal, have the time....shit why not.
    ROAD TRIP.
    Make sure you ups all your gear so its there for the trip home.
    Good luck

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ebay , west Virginia, new 2014
    $9,900. 0 Milage.
    White

16. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    After watching the video I gotta ask why did you look right as you were accelerating? I mean if you are going forward unless there's some kind of nuclear bomb going off at least look forward. I totally fault the driver for running a red light but at least if you were looking forward you would have been able to react in time and stop and you wouldn't be having to buy another bike.

It sucks I know but I've been riding 8+ years with no accidents because I never assume that everyone will follow the rules. I don't even ride right next to a car because they might switch into my lane.

As for ride vs ship it, I would say ship it but now with the california rule of minimum mileage, well, if you got the time to spare go for a ride! With the bad weather, well, you could just ride around it and take a long way home. Those miles gotta be added somehow, you poor guy :D

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I would definitely ride it! Unless you get a reputable hauler it's going to be a crap shoot. If you get a cheap hauler ask them how long it's going to set in a parking zone waiting for someone else to pick it up. Plus any damage to the bike, you most likely will have to fight them to get them to pay. I know of one and have read many horror stories with shipping cheap.

There are some very good smaller haulers, but it's hard to find them. You may luck out and find one. If you ship I hope you do find a good one. Search the web for haulers and learn the difference.

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    There is some merit to this Joey. But IMHO, his actions were correct defensive driving techniques. It would appear the camera was attached to the helmet so the head moves, so does the camera. The camera will not move as much as the eye will obviously. So this movement may appear amplified.

When I took my basic driving course in boot camp, it was drilled into up, Get the big picture. So you are looking everywhere all the time. A considerable contributing factor to many intersections collisions is someone blowing a light, like that tool did. Except, it is more often someone coming from the cross street. Especially people turning in front of you from that side street. So OP's looking that way, whether he is aware he is doing this, is quite proper. I would suggest that many, if not most, do just this without even thinking of it. I do this very intentionally. Maybe not as noticeable as OP but I look. I look both ways even if I have the green light. I am even glancing at side streets who have not traffic light in their favour at all. It could be an inexperienced child who makes the mistake, and that would be tragic. I have developed that habit and have not intention to change that. This has allowed me to avoid many collisions that otherwise may have happened.

It is very true that most if not all accidents can be prevented by some action by either party. OP may have been able to have prevented that accident had he not looked to the side. However he had a reasonable expectation to be able to proceed in safety and within his right on his well established green light. His looking left or right on another day may have allowed him to avoid someone coming out from the cross street against their red light, which appears to me, to be far more common.

Saceur. Sure glad you managed to survive this relatively OK. I am envious of your getting an 8th gen. I have to wait until mine dies before that happens. I think I am going to kick it and become compost before that happens though. I would fly and ride. A cheap rain suit (100 bucks give or take) will keep you dryer than a popcorn phart. Puinlock Visors keep your vision very clear. I have not experienced it, but have heard a couple horror stories from people here who have shipped and regretted it.

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    In regards to shop or trip, get the VIN and call the DMV. My 2005 is a fifty state bike and I bought it in Vegas. You should be fine. Besides, by law, the dealer has to state the accurate mileage and report it to the DMV in Texas, which California has access to. I don't believe that there are even 49 state bid anymore, especially Honda.

20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    What is this "50 State" or "49 State" bike thing you speak of? Not familiar with that.