Home made valve adjustment tool

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by backon2, May 25, 2015.

1. backon2

backon2 New Member

Thought I would post this as anyone seeking to adjust their valves would likely comb through everyone's way at home to see if they want to try it and what they did for tools.
    Me I used a deep well 7mm 1/4" drive socket and on a lathe I cut the diameter down. I also faced the end to allow the "insert" to sit closer on the square head of the adjuster screw.
    For the "insert", using a 4mm nut and a square jewelers file, cut a 3mm square in the bore and bonded it in the socket with some epoxy.
    After it was all done, remove the nut and reclaim you socket.

Attached Files:

2. backon2

backon2 New Member

By the way, my bike is a 1985 vf500f.

3. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I did something similar but I just used chemical metal instead of your steel nut. The way that used to get suggested was the square recess found on a Robertson's screw.

4. backon2

backon2 New Member

Jeremyr62, being as we are from separate English speaking countries, I am not familiar with a "robertson's screw". What is it and where are they common in use?

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
  6. backon2

backon2 New Member

Ok, I understand. Here in my area people refer to that as a square drive. I had actually thought about trying to find a hardened screw with a head that would fit my adjuster screw, among many other ideas. I had never heard of the name before. When you go into one of our big box home improvement stores the little bits to those screw heads are sold as a sq1, sq2, sq3 etc. I also see them becoming popular with small electrical switchgear. Thank you for the info, I always like to learn something new.

Last edited: May 26, 2015