Rear seat cowl tabs number: 1. broke/2. breaking/3. ok...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Wheatchex, May 26, 2015.

1. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    Has anyone had any experience with the rear seat cowl tabs breaking off? I went for a 350 mile ride friday and found that halfway through the trip the rear tab had broken off. When I got back home one of the side tabs was almost broken off and the third tab appeared ok, but probably was not much longer for the world as well. I assume that the tabs breaking off are due to fatigue flexing and not just snapping off. Is this normal for the tabs to break off after a certain number of miles/time? My VFR is a 2007 and Ive put on 9k more miles since buying it a year ago with 8k on it.

Brian

2. DarthFritter01

DarthFritter01 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure if this is common, having just bought mine in December. Did you carry anything on top of it? Maybe the precious owner had someone sit on it. Someone tried climbing on the back of mine with the cowl on, luckily I stopped them before they could get their ass down on it. I have an extra cowl for a 6th gen if you are interested. It's red, Kinda scuffed, but no cracks and the tabs are solid. Got it for a fair price and wouldn't gouge you too bad ;-)

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Seat cowls have to be positioned correctly or the tabs are subject to breakage. The fitment on different year bikes is different. The good news is that the tabs can fixed especially if you have one that isn't completely broken and gone to use as a template. The plastic is ABS and making a new tab just requires a chunk of busted fairing off a wrecked bike

A cowl on my mach 1 91 in 1991 was an aftermarket item at 100 pesos..

4. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    Understood about positioning them properly. The holes in the tabs must line up with the pins on the seat bottom.
    No one to my knowledge had sat on the cowl and I have not strapped or set anything on it.
    Fortunately I have a wrecked EX500 that I could try making a tab out of the busted plastics. I did price a new OEM Honda cowl and they are about 100 bucks.
    Thank you DarthFritter for the offer. I may take you up on the spare cowl you have.

Brian