Recall Wire Harness - No Low Beams

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by treasurediver69, May 26, 2015.

1. treasurediver69

treasurediver69 New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently had the local dealer inspect my bike and during inspection, and VIN check with Honda, showed that the Wire Harness recall had not yet been performed. Sub harness recall kit was installed and now I don't have low beam headlights. Dealer said that the recall wouldn't have anything to do with the front lights and that the switch set (high-low beam/directionals/horn) was faulty. I should have known better than to except that explanation but I did.

I replaced the switch set myself and I still don't have low beams. A mechanical engineer friend used his multi-meter to test voltage and continuity and found intermittent or low voltage to the low beam bulb connectors. Further investigation turned up a mismatch of wires from one side of the blue connector to the other, See picture attached, Its hard to see all the wires but most evident is the lack of a ground wire on the sub-harness.
    Sub&Main-Harness.jpg
    Does anyone have thoughts on this or have pictures of their blue connector? Has anyone ever noticed mismatched wires or should they match?

Thank you,
    JRB

2002 VFR800 (non ABS)
    22,571 miles
    3rd owner
    NE USA

2. Niwde001

Niwde001 New Member

Hi there so im also the third owner of my vfr....i bought it with only 7xxx miles on it pefrfect condition...im in california..so after like 2 months the front lights went off...i did my research amd found out about thw recall issues...i call honda and they toldme to take it to the dealer and thay would pay for the repairs....so it took the dealer almost 1 mo th to get it fix..however they replace the main harness and the aub harness...for freee yey...but todaya when i was coming to work.(7/26/2015) 2 day after i got it from the dealer...the cluster dont show when i use the high beams or the turn signals...so i call honda and great they are close today....called the dealer and the aervice dep is close ...so i have to wait and call them back tomorrow....so to answer yor question..they shouldve replaced both the main harness and sub harnes....cheers

3. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Did you ever find a resolve to your low beam issue?
    My low beam is out, relays are good, wiring harness is good, fuses are good ... I'm stumped.

4. treasurediver69

treasurediver69 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi there. If you have already tried replacing the switch set (high-low beam/directionals/horn) than you could look at the light blue connector (sub harness to main harness connector). A friend of mine, who's an electrical engineer noticed the main harness should also have been replaced during the recall inspection because there was some additional scoring within one of the pins of that main harness connector. I was already upset with the dealer for missing this so I did not want to take it back to them. My friend was able to replace the burnt scored pin inside the light blue connector with a new pin, and without having to replace the entire main harness. Low beams then started working again.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other things you could check but I wouldn't even know where to start as I am not a mechanic or electrical engineer. :)
    Others on this forum might be of more help.

Good Luck,
    Jb