Bought a 1986 VFR750. Wont stay running now.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Tiltboy, May 26, 2015.

1. Tiltboy

Tiltboy New Member

Hello everyone! My name is Tiltboy and Im a newbie to the scene looking for some advice. I bought my second bike, first was a 2006 Ninja500, and looking to fix some things with it.

Little background on the bike.

I purchased it a week ago in Dallas, Tx from a young man who owned it for about a year. It test drove great and had nothing majorly wrong with it from what I could tell. I drove it to the hotel and was planning on riding it back to Houston(3.5hr ride) in the morning. Parked the bike and it wouldnt start again. Needed a battery. So I purchased one from the Walmart down the road and hoped on in the morning and rode back home.

I get half way home when I spring a gas leak at the gas station. I lifted the tank and the vacuum plug on the underside sprung a leak. I replaced this cap and continued the journey home.

The next day I get up to ride it to work and it makes it half way there then dies again. I jump the bike to get it going and it dies again at the light. I let it sit overnight while I charged the battery and it got home fine. It then sat overnight and the next morning wouldnt stay running.

I put the choke down, it starts and holds idle at 1k rpms for about a minute then dies.

Any ideas? I know very little about bikes specifically other than working on my ninja(cleaned carbs and other basic work) so specific help is appreciated. Given that it made a 3.5hr ride just fine(generally speaking) I dont think the carbs need any work.

The bike needs a chain, a recifier/stator(not sure which exactly yet), brakes and Im assuming plugs as well as an oil change.

What else should I look at? The tires are new. It needs paint but that can wait.

Thoughts on the specific problem? Belts and brakes are the first to be replaced after this is fixed.

2. NormK

NormK New Member

You need to do the drill, you are just the next in line of the millions of VFR's that fail to charge, at least one a week turns up here

3. Tiltboy

Tiltboy New Member

What does "do the drill" refer to? Sorry for the inexperience.

4. NormK

NormK New Member