Highway 150 to 33 ride!

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by Lint, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    After chatting with another member here last night on Facebook, we came up with a ride through Highway 150 to 33 in Ventura County. I am working on a map of the ride, etc, but I want to put this out there for anyone local and local-ish that wants to ride. It's a beautiful ride and mostly just open sweeping turns, with some tight stuff thrown in to keep you on your toes. We don't have to keep a MotoGP pace as there is a lot of beauty to see. I'm thinking of meeting at a place for some morning noms and coffee, then rolling out.

Please tell me when would be best for everyone. I have a request to have kickstand up before 9 am which is easily doable for me because I live in the area.

Get back to me and lets make this happen!!!

I'll update after I find a cool route. Another option is to ride3 up to Cold Springs Tavern for their great Tri-Tip or to Deer Lodge for the same. Cold Springs Tavern is an old original Wells Fargo stage stop and is up in the hills.

http://www.coldspringtavern.com/ From Moorpark, Ca: http://tinyurl.com/nfv9run

http://deerlodgeojai.com/ From Moorpark, Ca: http://tinyurl.com/pm3s8dr

If you have suggestions for the ride, post 'em up, I definitely open. We could spend a few days exploring this area as there are so many places to ride. I can even have people from Ventura Ducati Owner's Club join if you want to mix it up with V2 and V4 and just some really good folk!

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I just did this route on Saturday. I took my dad to Song Dog Ranch to visit his old friend and ranch host. There's a really cool route to take, either on the way there or the way back if you go all the way to 166. It goes through Frazer Park and is a great ride in either direction. If going as far as 166, there's 'The Place' on 33 that is a good lunch spot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I bet you mean song dog ranch. :biggrin-new:

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    That's what I mean about so many places to ride. This area is kind of a Mecca.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

LOL! Fixed it!

6. Cafox

Cafox New Member

Doesn't seem like to many people are interested in the ride. I have a couple friends that might go. I am in no matter who goes.

7. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Cold Springs Tavern has been a must-stop place for me when I'm in the area for the last 20 years or so. Mattei's to the north is another one as well as the only place to eat in Casmalia -hitching post- before heading to Santa Maria for tequila ice cream for dessert.
    If you want to see something unique when heading north on 154, make a right at Painted Cave. Go up the hill and visit the state park, keep going on the same road and make a left at E. Camino Cielo, right on 154 and immediate left onto Stage Coach to get to Cold Springs Tavern.
    Riding N San Marcos Rd from Cathedral Oaks Rd is a lot of fun. It has a few switchbacks and hairpins. If you ride N San Marcos pass, get to Painted Cave crossing 154.
    There a couple of roads out by Vanderberg AFB to test the top speed of your bike. No hazards and no cops.

I'm in if it happens on my day off, which is during the week. Oh, and a round of drinks is on me.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, probably should have mentioned that I'd be in but most know me enough to know, I'm always up for a ride. Other than next weekend and the first weekend in July, I'm open.

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all, I know I kinda bailed on this thread. I've had a lot going on. Let me get through this weekend full of birthdays, etc and I'll work on this.

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Pick up the pace Lint. Drop the excuses!

Went back to look at the map link. I rode part of that back in 2012. I was camped at the Santa Paula KOA right next to that fucking noisy peacock. Anyways, I rode east to Ojai then turned north on Hwy 33 and rode that hwy until I thought I might be getting lost, then turned around and came back. Nice ride for sure.

Wished I was in a position to join you guys and gals.