I Hate Tar Snakes (Liquid road repair stuff)!

Discussion in 'USA - North' started by JimHanus, Jun 3, 2015.

1. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Anyone else have bad experiences with the liquid road crack patching stuff? Liquid tar that they squirt into road cracks, then it dries to patch them. On my Honda F2 with Shinko tires (which I love) I had an occasional slight slip when riding over it, but nothing to really worry about. My 2001 VFR has Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires, and that tar is literally like ice. Going over it at anything other than straight up will cause a slide. A few weeks ago I went around a curve full of patches and nearly went off the edge of the road. Yesterday I went around a curve that had a bunch of repairs going all the way across the road about every 10 feet. Only thing I could do was back off the throttle and ride through it. Each repair was only 4 or 5 inches wide, but I slid over each one, going wider and wider until I was past. I've never experienced anything like this before (I'm in Michigan), and it's EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Anyone else have this happen?

Jim

2. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    yep its a common "fix" but I've never seen the strips that wide. The hotter it is the more greasy they feel not much you can do but slow down or find a new road to play on that they haven't "fixed"

3. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I've experienced it occasionally. Some are okay, some are very bad.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Have the same problem here in CA and my PR4's, all you can do is try and avoid the roads.

5. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Wish I could, but it's on every road. It's so bad I'll even slip while changing lanes on the freeway. Very scary.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    The guy that used to run the storage warehouse where I put my my boat inside during the winter was a Harley dood. He went out and bought the whatever it is top of the line with the screaming eagle package, blah blah blah. Driving home shortly after having various work done to his bike, he has a tar snake stick to his tire, pick up off the road, and proceeded to spin around violently thrashing his bike and all his chrome. Think I remember him saying something like $6K worth of damage.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Hit one coming out of a low speed corner, only time I have had traction Control kick in!

8. JTB488

JTB488 New Member

Yup, damn tar snakes! Few years ago they did that sealer and pea gravel repair by me. They had to re-do the whole road because something was wrong with the sealer. When ever it got hot out it would turn to slick like goo. Even cars where going off the road!

Where in Mich are you JimHanus?

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I just sent a Bill -$420.50 BB road construction project- a Bill for road damage to my car-four blown struts. repair bill, toll receipts with a pic of damage-to BB road construction . I type like the jumpy 6 inch drops in the road. Figure out that shit-will you.:tyrannosaurus:

10. Big3

Big3 New Member

the stuff they use here is slick even when its 55* out

11. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Yep, I rode out to skaggs spring rd in Cali last week. Huge let down. 2nd half was covered in tar snakes in preparation for chip seal. Bah...

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I believe there is different consistancies of tar used depending on where you are or what the climate is. Or price or who is screwing who. Anyways. A few of us make regular trips down to the Winthrop area of Washington. IN one locations, they really are not too bad, but continue 15 minutes up the road to Twisp, and holley fooken Jesus. You will get a rectal workout for sure.

They are also a bitch on wet highways. Can you picture riding your bikes on a roadway made of smooth glass with water on it. I hit one at a very high rate of speed coming home one night in medium rain. Front wheel began wobbling violently. My ass just grabbed hold of the seat and bit a huge hole in the cover. Fortunatley the front wheel corrected itself, but not before I deposited a couple long releases of anal gasses. I think my saving grace was the same thing that contributed to the wheel wobble in the first place. The wet roads allowed enough slip, that the front wheel was able to correct and track smooth and straight again.

I slowed down!

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I hate tar snakes. The worst incident I had with them was when I was going 2 states over from me. I was a day late and had to make time. Just west of Indy I was running 90mph and got in to a rain storm. I had no problem running in the rain at that speed, until... I hit a section of highway with tar snakes all over the right lane and the bike went in to a violent front tire wobble. Scare't the shit out of me. I cut left to the other lane that didn't have them and slowed to 70mph. I went back over right and the same thing happen again.

I had Dulop 501's on the bike and the front had a center line with no tread within a 1/4" of it. The other sipes stopped stop of it. So it was kind of like a slick in the center 1/2". Those are the only tire that have done that to me.

My bird doesn't like tar snakes either. It does slide off of them then catches quickly, feels very weird.

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Do they have tar snakes in Ireland?

An encounter with said slithery beasties with bias ply tires will forever endear the lot of y'all aboot radials.

15. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Near Port Huron, North of Detroit.

16. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    They have been working on the road my house is on for a week. Damm tar snakes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015