Gen 2 carb mounting helpful hints ??

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by squirrelman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    New boots and i've already wasted over an hour and a half trying to get carbs back on after a cleaning. I've done this job a dozen times on different gen2's and never had an easy time. Never !!!

I've looked around using the search but found nothing. So i need someone to direct me to a thread with helpful hints and suggestions for installing gen 2 carbs, PLEASE !

FRUSTRATED !!!!

2. keensali

keensali New Member

Even with new boots, I would heat them gently and apply some oil to them as well. If it takes a while to get things in place, I will give them more heat while they are mounted on the cylinders. I set the boots on the cylinders first and then put the carbs into the boots. I tried putting the boots on the carbs and going the other way, but it never worked for me.
    Right or wrong, I set the fronts in first, but not all the way in. That way, I can see the backside of the rear boots while I start to set them in. I have been known to insert a very dull flat narrow screwdriver(or what ever...) to gently pry the boots around the rear lip of the back carbs. If that makes any sense at all...lol.
    Once I get both the front and rears in the boots part way, I put the big push on the top and they pop in every time. Still a pain in my ass, but it works. I have done it with two people and it was a good 30% easier.

3. rosok

rosok New Member

Canada
    Map
    Definitely one the harder jobs on the V4, I never look fwd to it. I just picked up a wreck for a few parts I need for my track VFR750, and I'll be doing carbs soon. Thanks Keensali for the tips.
    On the side, are new intake boots still available for these bikes?!

4. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I dropped my boots in near boiling water for ten minutes before I refitted the carbs.
    Put some silicone grease on the spigots and around the boots.
    Seated in less than 30 seconds.

5. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    I seat the backs straight on then the fronts I tilt at a 45 with half on the head and half on the carb then just roll forward and they seat.

6. keensali

keensali New Member

rosok, to answer your question, yes, you can still order them new online or at your Honda dealer.....THANK GOODNESS!!!

7. cslap

cslap New Member

United States
    Map
    I use golf club grip solvent and a lot of foul language. Never fails.

8. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I polish the carb spigots a bit with 600 grit and lube with Vaseline, all clamps loosened fronts first and patiently work the rears in gradually. Not really tips just how I do it.

9. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    I (very cautiously) used ratchet straps to assist in the carb installation a few months back. Prior to doing this, I tried heat, lubricants, and more and it seemed that nothing could give me the clearance that i needed. My carbs were a hair away from popping into place and no amount of man-force could get it to fit, so I resorted to the straps. I made sure to use a book/blanket to cushion the top manifold of the carbs as well as making sure the ratchet straps were clear of any other moving or fragile parts of the bike. Carefully snugged it down and it popped right in.

Even if you have completed your installation, I hope that this is useful to someone else.

10. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks midias, for the "tip it at 45* angle" suggestion. Doing that, and putting some engine oil on the boots made it work. Was a pain up until the end. Having a second person to help with those band clamps and positioning was nice! Thanks to all of the ideas, as i read them all, but didn't do them all. I am leary of putting my boots in boiling water, even for 30 seconds, let alone 10 minutes. I was getting close though.

11. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I think they get much hotter on a running bike than maybe 90c in hot water. Hard to imagine what hot water could do to the boots that fuel, oil, and 120-140c heat haven't done already.

12. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    You are 100% correct, thx1138! After looking at your post, I misread where you said "near" boiling water. These boots most likely are subjected to boiling temperatures plus.

13. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Worked for me, also with the bike on a stand, I used the garage door opener rail as a handle and just stepped right up. They dropped right in.

14. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map

Glad it worked for both of you. It is my favorite strategy or both my VFR and Magna