3 CAV Memorial Ride for the Fallen

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by 34468 Randy, Jun 20, 2015.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Have you ever thought that you were kinda out of place somehow?

IMGP1819.jpg IMGP1821.jpg IMGP1822.jpg
    Today I participated in the 3 CAV (Canadian Army Veterans) Memorial Ride for the Fallen. I have wanted to do this before but haven't had the opportunity. My joining a Meet-up group afforded me this opportunity this year. I guess there was somewhere near 100-150 bikes in this procession which traveled from Boundary Road in Vancouver, along Hwy 1, the BC portion of the Highway of Heroes, past the Highway of Heroes Memorial Sign and into Langley for a short service. The ride was probably 3/4 hours long. As we passed under several overpasses, we were saluted by many people and the ever present Firefighters with their flags and rigs. That was quite touching to see.

I am not a military veteran. My parents were both vets of WW2. Our military people, especially the lower ranks doing what needs to be done, get ultra high respect from me. They have a special place in my heart.

The term Highway of Heroes seemed to have just fallen in place somehow buy grass roots movements. Ordinary Canadians insisting on recognition of our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, friends and loved ones, who paid the ultimate price. This dated, but accurate news piece explains a lot of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6t6HLt7vA

But getting back to the initial thought in this thread. I was the only non cruiser type bike there. Not only was my bike extremely different than theirs, it stuck out because of its colour.

We pulled into the memorial in Langley and all parked on a foot path for this short service. I gotta say, this was the first time I ever saw a Harley on gravel where I was not either calling a tow truck, and ambulance or both. Low and behold, shortly after we entered the highway at the beginning, one bike broke down to the HOV lane shoulder. A Harley for sure.

Now that I have attended, I am on a notification list. I will be there next year God willing.

BUT NOT ON A HARLEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6t6HLt7vA

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Good show! For just a minute I thought you were starting another thread aboot falling over..

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Good job Randy! Personally I think your bike should be in front, it looks nicer, it stands out more and even has a big Maple leaf on the side.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I agree, should of passed all them there Hardley right to the front......looks like a good time and great support. .cheers :)

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    But if I were in the lead, who would notice the break downs and call the tow trucks?

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    With all my aloof behavior here, occasionally I do have a serious moment. I can honestly say, in my previous life, I had never knowingly written a member of our Armed Services a citation. When asked by an MP one time during a specific traffic accident investigation why I was not to this one member, the answer was simple. My discretion. Firefighters were given my same respect.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely Randy, good for you.
    Did your fellow officers do the same?

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Don't really know. I suppose some of them might. This is more a personal "thank you" from me. But on the same hand, they were warned not to push the envelope. I won't have my gratitude being taken advantage of.