Pricing for a 1997 VFR750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by RedRider39, Jun 30, 2015.

1. RedRider39

RedRider39 New Member

Hi Guys,

Looking at this 1997 VFR750 http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/5079078930.html looks like the price of $3999 + tax & license seems too high? Looking for some help as to what you guys think is a fair price. I'm thinking around $3200 otd would be a fair price for this bike.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

2. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Inspect the bike. Price is all about condition. If it is an immaculate bike it will be worth far more than a dog.
    As always go with cash in hand as a powerful negotiating tool on price.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Like he says.. This bike is a dealer bike. If you are not savvy aboot VFRs in general take someone with you that knows. Expect every trick in the book on a dealer bike sales pitch. You are on their turf. Look up on any of several sites as to what a similar bike in similar condition sells for. This includes if you look, condition, wholesale, trade in, purchase from a private party and what a dealer will ask.

The bike looks clean. A smart dealer will pay a detailer to make the bike look good or sometimes the dealers have lot boys who do this for ten bucks an hour.

Ask to ride the bike. Ask for any paperwork that came with the bike from the PO. Have the dealer air up the tires before you ride the bike. Look for extras and farkles. They are worth aboot half of retail. Installation does not count.

Dealers love financing used bikes. Waving cash in front of a dealer sales dude is not going to impress him or her or whatever..

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    If I were you, I would wait and find another one. Thats just me though, CA may have that as the typical mileage as these bikes do get ridden. Bear in mind its not astronomical miles as these v fours run forever, the price is $1000 too high imho. Cheers

5. john750

john750 New Member

Overpriced, at least by standards here in the UK.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Way overpriced!! Are you looking specifically for a 4th Gen VFR because you should be able to pick up a newer 5th Gen (1998-2001) with linked brakes and fuel injection for somewhere between $3000 and $3500. If you are looking specifically for a 4th Gen VFR (1994-1997) you should easily be able to find a comparable machine with half the mileage of the one you posted for less than $3000.

Just to give you an idea there is a 4th Gen at Honda of Chattanooga, TN with 8k miles on it for $3299 and I'd be willing to bet they are negotiable on the price. Older VFRs are not in very high demand so you should have the upper hand when negotiating on price.

7. RedRider39

RedRider39 New Member

Thanks guys for your input I felt like the price was too high at 3999 but wanted some expert reassurance.

I'm going to go look at it today anyways as a starting point for condition and go from there. I'm not looking for any specific gen although I do like the look of the 2007 RWB.

Oh by the way I have cash in hand so I hold the cards if buying from a dealer take my offer or see you later!

8. Badbilly

United States
    Dealers are not impressed by the old Giveth cash and take it away schtick. They love financing especially if a buyer takes the bait and opts to use the dealers finance company..

The card to play on that is get your best price with financing, then before you sign anything or say anything to the sales dude and most likely the sales manager or finance dude and you have the price on paper, then do the cash thing.

Dealers do all this stuff day in and day oot. They are real good at it.. Unless you go in armed you are gonna get screwed for as much as they can get.. Getting pissed off is another big mistake when dealing with dealers.

9. Badbilly

United States
    "Whatever" in this context would be a trans salesperson.

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    If you play your cards right you might also be able to get the dealer to throw in a free stick-on Mohawk for your helmet.

11. RedRider39

RedRider39 New Member

I'll get one and send it your way since you seem to be a fan of those.

12. Alhazred

Alhazred New Member

Ukraine
    Map
    It does not have a full Two Brothers exhaust,you can see the big flange on the stock header.