Mods, Maintenance, and Observations

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Jeff_Barrett, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, it's a vacation day up here in Canada .... Happy Canada Day!

I figured I'd do some mods and maintenance before the family swung by to use the pool, have a bbq, bonfire, and fireworks.

OEM Front Sprocket:

The original owner had an aftermarket sprocket on the front. Even though the teeth were in excellent shape, it was rocking on the output shaft in the radial axis. Not good. I used some JB weld to take up the slack temporarily - it worked good enough until an OEM came. I slapped the OEM on the bike today and I cannot believe the difference!

I will never buy an aftermarket sprocket again. The OEM as some of you know is rubberized on both sizes and dampens most vibrations. Amazing!

PAIR Valve Removal, Snorkel Removal, and Flapper Mods:

So, I've had the block off plates for a while now and been meaning to do this. I just could never work up the motivation to do the work until today. The stock exhaust would pop a lot on deceleration - which I know was a result of the PAIR valves fooling the O2 sensor.

At any rate, I did these mods and took it out for a spin, and let me tell you, it's worth the time to do these and very easy. No more flat spot at 5K RPM, next to no popping on deceleration, and the bike even sounds better (more throaty). I also noted almost all the jerky low RPM throttle is all but gone.

The whole thing took about 2.5 hours ... I'm sure you could do it in less time, but I had to hunt for my tools in the motorhome and back of the garage. It was a beautiful day here so I decided to work on the driveway. :)

2. Tews19

Tews19 New Member

I need new sprockets and chain. What chain do you recommend since OEM is the way to go for sprockets? Any retailers you suggest?

3. Bernieswanson

Bernieswanson New Member

United States
    Map
    I have always used top of the line DID chains paired with SunStar sprockets. Never a concern.

4. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ive been using Regina Chain & Sprocket Kits with no complaints

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Regarding the front sprocket, I went down 1 tooth on the front because 1st gear was too tall for taking off quickly. So I had no choice but to get an aftermarket but I don't get any annoying vibrations. You can get a good chain and sprocket kit from sprocketcenter.com if that helps.

6. Vinman

Vinman New Member

Map
    @ Bernie and aimbot. What kind of mileage are you getting out of your DID and Regina chains?

7. Bernieswanson

Bernieswanson New Member

United States
    Map
    I have yet to wear either out. If fact, the chains rarely need tightening, maybe once a year. Again I get one rated for 1000cc and have them on 700 to 800 cc bikes. 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and 6th gen VFRs.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I grease chains on every other fill up and rarely touch the adjuster on as any of the stuffh i own. You have to remember to adjust on tight spot of the chain. You already knew that though. Speeling corrector on fone amazes me. Cheers and happy 4th

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sorry about the delayed response ... DID 530VX-110 ... it's an X-Ring chain. Great quality and reasonable price.

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I went with the DID 530ZVMX. Ordered this by mistake. It is apparently rated for a 1200 cc engine but it sure won't hurt using it on ours. Chain and sprockets from Sprocket Center http://sprocketcenter.com/ was $274.00 CDN shipped to my door. Just checking my records, I have put over 18,400 MILES on that set. Had to recheck my numbers cause I couldn't believe that. But the chain and sprockets are still fine. I know I had adjusted it once for sure, maybe twice.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Oh! For what it is worth. I believe the "X" ring chains are superior to the "O" ring chains. I believe the x ring, by virtue of its design of the ring, would be better at retaining the factory applied grease, and keeping the contaminates out. MOFWIW.

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah, X-Ring chains are definitely superior by a long shot.