Working on cornering

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RobVG, Jul 13, 2015.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Some observations.

Seems one of three things happen to me in corners. One- take the line and grin when I come out because I nailed it. It feels awesome! Two- too low an entry speed- leaves me limp. If I'm the right gear I can roll it on and pull back up but no where near as satisfying as doing right. Three- come in too fast an go wide. Bad feeling. Kick myself.

I don't brake before corners, just try to judge speed. They do this in schools, don't let you brake all morning.

Sometimes varying the throttle (not chopping) helps when there are radius changes. Seems to work okay.

Any thoughts, tips?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You'll find Keith Code's dictum helpful: One turn, one lean angle.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Well. I am a champion racer so here I go with all my experience and expertise behind me.

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is just how high these bikes rev. I tend to use the engine as much as I can to control the speed when I am hitting the twisties hard. I willl use my brakes though before the cormer but rely on the engine through it and onwards. Pick a gear that will hold you back but at the same time has lots to give if you crank on the throttle. I think that to throttle up while in a corner tends to jam your rear tire down into the pavement for traction...within reason. The engine will take it. I like to really get on with this when I ride up Mt. St. Helens. MY FUCKING OATH you gotta do that if you live anywhere within 1000 miles of that.

But most important. learn how to deal with target fixation. It is not a falacy. I know first hand.

I also try to move my head. Not only look at where I am going, turn my head as much as possible into that direction and try to keep your head level with the horizon.Remeber Eddie Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop? Folly yo dick. Well folly yo nose.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Some good suggestions above. If you can get to a track with decent instructors you will learn a millions times faster than years of twisties and canyons. A proper set up suspension goes a long way learning too. Having your suspension not set up right will have you fighting and dealing with things that take away from you learning good technique. Trail braking will help set up the corner, help the suspension by loading the front tire making turn in easier and as you start releasing the brakes in the corner centrifugal force helps the suspension out by not unloading to fast. All of those things working in unison makes for much faster corner speeds. This should be learned on the track. But when you start getting it down the thrill is well worth the track fee. No brake drills on the track are good too, especially on small cc bikes where you can really rail through corners.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I come from an MX background, so a lot of my technique is the same as when I used to race / ride MX bikes.

I find going into the turn in gear that puts me just above where V-TEC kicks in (so it's engaged) and then holding that RPM and slowly rolling it on is where I need to be to feel in control and precise. Like Randy said ... find a gear where it's not screaming, but still within the powerband.

On gentle corners though, this obviously isn't necessary.

I only use the brake before going into a corner, mostly though, I just use the engine and transmission to control my speed both before and during the corner.

I also start my corner wide(left side) and finish in the middle or tight on the right side accelerating hard out of the turn. Feels sooooooooo good.

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Randy is King of cornering, he calls it a drop.:loco:

7. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the input guys, I usually don't have all the valves working. I'll give it a try.

Thought of you yesterday SOW, when I filled my tank to the top. Dude, it helps you tip in. :eek:nthego:

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    https://youtu.be/G1rlQ0NmbWs

I brake into nearly every turn. Watch the above and do track days. It's brakes, it's engine braking, it's your line. There is a lot to learn and it's totally worth it. Every thing you learn makes you safer, faster, and more in control, which keeps you aliver!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    yes it does tip in with more gas and falls completely over- a vfr bites the dust.

10. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Take caution when using engine braking cresting a hill.
    Lots of variables there ie. upward vector on rear tire.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have yet to track my VFR. I have thought about how to deal with vtec, I think for me I would keep the bike howling in high rpms and keep all the valves working. On my CBR track bike I feel like my wrist is directly connected to the rear wheel, great input and feedback. If on the VFR there was a transition at vtec it would really bother me. One day I will try hustling her around the track.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Like the Gatorman says.. Learn from the pros at a track school.

Any unicyclists out there with tips on cornering?

My mach 1 91 is not a V-tec bike. but like the jack up that comes with some of the older BMW's, V-tec is a repeatable and therefore a predictable occurrence eh? This may be why God invented tachometers.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I find I run off and mow the grass to often when staring at the tach. :)

14. Badbilly

United States

Removing the brakes on a VFR will save some weight and maybe even squeeze a few miles/gal out of a thirsty engine. If you do this try to avoid riding down Queen Anne Hill.

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't like to brake on turns either-maybe a little-then I wear another part out

16. Badbilly

United States
    All The Grass. All The Time? I'm expecting a new race sanctioning body to evolve in the near future. The AMA. American Mower Association..

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Today, I paid attention to how I corner ... I discovered something I didn't even realize I was doing.

Before going into the turn, I was actually already starting to accelerate!

I also found that in more instances than not, I was actually starting my turn in the 5500 RPM range .... and hitting VTEC immediately upon returning upright. My VTEC doesn't transition nearly as harsh anymore since removing the snorkel, removing the PAIR valves, and doing the flapper mod to the airbox.

18. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Okay I have read this several times and have been wavering back and forth to comment or not. I have never been on the track and as of now only done street riding.

There is a lot of good info in this thread, but not knowing your skill level it is hard to tell you where to start. I would always recommend an advanced riding class or two or three..... It is always good to have an observer watching you and telling what to fix. We all have bad habits whether we know what they are or not. You cannot fix them if you don't know what you are doing wrong.

I found that even after the advanced riding class that doing things slowly and consistently the right way will go a long way to going fast and consistent. For my skill level on the street if I have to brake coming into corners I am over driving the road or the bike. And I can still embarrass other riders either in front or behind me.

We also must keep in mind these three things, Fear Factor, Risk Management and Skill Level. Some folks have a high fear factor and poor risk management and then a skill set that does not match their fear factor. That is a catastrophic.

Be safe out there.

19. Badbilly

United States

Few here race. That is a whole different can of worms. Track and trackdays are mostly what is mostly referenced. Riding Schools other than the state subsidized rider courses held on parking lot for the most part are useful at both levels to be sure. Track schools are held on racetracks and are mostly for learning to ride better and yes, faster. The racetracks are the optimum environment for this. The bikes are inspected by the instructors for everyone's sake. In some schools, showing up with worn tires sends you home. Being an asshole and telling the instructors how the cow crunches the hay, also sends you home. What is going on is everyone is going the same way on similar machines, no crossings and guys who ride much better than the average guy are watching every move you make, bad or good.

Track days for the most part are groups or individuals who rent time on a racetrack to ride in an environment that is unlike street riding as noted above. Track days are many times self goverened. Acting or being an asshole will also send you home some times not in great shape if you piss the wrong dude off..

All of the above make for better and safer riding for all of us IMO.

Well, maybe not SOW who hears voices and harleydoods who somehow are few at these events. ;)

20. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I've been thinking about getting a GoPro camera, but I swear, those things cause crashes- just look at Youtube.

I raced one season, took Cali Superbike school. Evidently I didn't learn anything....