New guy here and advice needed.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Dneprdude, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi all, My name is Matt and I live near Wilmington, NC. I have been riding about 27 years and have owned and wrenched on a number of bikes from old Triumphs to TS400s to Moto Guzzis. I currently have a Dnepr MT-11, which I restored this spring and a '92 BMW R100GS (which I am selling). I don't ride off road much down here, so I decided that a VFR would be best for me considering speed and comfort. I like the mid-nineties VFRs, but have always had a soft spot for the '86 750s (love that R/W/B).

My questions, as I am sure has been asked by others, if you had to pick one or the other considering the usual pros/cons, what would it be, a later 4th gen, or an 86 or 3rd gen models (aesthetics)? There are some good deals on CL for both and I have read posts and website till my eyes water and just need a little push one way or the other. Thanks for the help.

P.S. If you want an excellent GS lemme know. :smug:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Matt. Welcome. I got a 94 after reading up on vfr's. Now I have an 02. The 4th gens are sweet bikes. I just wanted a 6th. I have mine for sale in the classifieds.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The 86 had a small 16" front wheel, and it makes it hard to get descent new generation tyres.
    It was a great bike, but a little bit nervous on shitty roads because of it.

All VFRs are great, but the later the model, the easier to get new or quality second hand parts.
    My personal favourite of the earlier ones would be the 3rd gen. But I do own an 01 that I love.

4. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the replies guys. The 3rd gens have just as good as style as the 2nd gens I think. I think even with a mid 90's model, I could always play with the graphics if I wanted to. I just remember seeing the 2nd gens when I was a kid and thought they were cool. Similar in style to the FZRs of the day. Simple clean lines. There's a set of 86s for sale in MD for maybe a good price, one they guy bought new and the other he bought as a parts bike. They haven't been run in I believe 5 years, so there would be carb rebuilds and perusing the rest of the bike for sure (probably needed electrical upgrades). I have other stuff to fiddle with and work on, that's why I'm shy to inquire about the pair. I have searched for the tires, fuel pumps, rectifiers, and other parts that seem in need of addressing. They are there, just not cheap. There are quite a few 4th gens around within a few hour drive, so I may start there and ride a couple and see what I think. Thanks again!

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Go for the gen4, so much better than an '86. Not faster but more mechanically modern.

6. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    I think that's the route I'm gonna take Squirrelman. I just want something to ride that I don't have to rebuild or work on. I got the Dnepr for that, haha. I have a sale pending on the GS, so I will have the funds. I am meeting the fellow half way in Rocky Mt, Nc tomorrow. I'll call some VFR listings after the deal seals. Thanks for the advice. Here's pics of my rigs now.

Attached Files:

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness Matt :wave:
    Make yourself at home :thumb:
    Ride safe and ATGATT

8. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Sold my GS today. :glee: Going to call around this evening. Thanks scuba.

9. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Not that it matters much, they're all excellent, but the '86 is the quickest and the most rewarding to tame.

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    What size your GS (1200 or 800)?
    I have a soft spot on the 3rd gen. Good luck with your hunt :thumb:

11. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    It was a r100gs. 1k cc. 92 model. Before computers. Tank bike.

12. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Going to see a 96 model on Saturday. Super maintained and in awesome shape. I'll keep yas in the loop and post pics.

13. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Saturday has passed...

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'm guessing he bought it and is still out on his first date....

15. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes the first date was long. I picked her up in Rockingham, NC. The PO Mark was nice enough to ride an hour east and meet us there. After we talked for a while and did the NC title notary crap we talked some more and went on our ways. Nice fellow. We made a day of it and went north to the zoo. It was hot, but my little guy had a great time. We. Made it home around 9 that night. Good trip.

The next day I couldn't help but to pull the side panels off to fix a few hairline stress cracks. They were small so I figured I do it now before they develop any worse. (Don't worry I've done them before). It rained all day yesterday and looks similar today, so I will just go to the plate office and get that done and finish up the body work. It's the same bike from the competition accessories YouTube.https://youtu.be/i_L__y8DVn0 Thanks for the inquiries. Cheers.

Sorry the pics is the POs. Didnt want to show half the rear off for first impression. Lol

Attached Files:

16. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the world!! Nice find!! Keep the updates coming....

17. KentuckyThunder

KentuckyThunder New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice looking ride, looks like it's in good shape from the photo. Hope you get to enjoy it this week. I'm looking forward to a ride to NC later this summer. Love those Smokies when I stay off the heavily traveled roads. I think a ride to Maggie Valley is coming.

18. Dneprdude

Dneprdude New Member

United States
    Map
    Took it for a real but short ride today. Feels great and I like the torque curve. Hands got a little numb, but I will get used to the riding style or get a tank bag. Lol. There weren't many curves in the road (roads around here in general), so I will have to bust out the map to find some. She runs smooth as silk and that cam noise. The exhaust note sounds so nasty too. Anyway, I will try to put some more miles on if it doesn't rain this week. Mother-in-law in town as well.

Kentuckythunder, I got a couple buddies in Louisville. One may still ride, but not sure. Yeah I need to get my butt to the mountains.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015