tank protector

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by cmlease, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cmlease

cmlease New Member

I just got a 2014 Red VFR800 this past weekend and am loving it so far. I want to pick up a tank pad to make sure i don't' accidentally scratch the tank or anything. Anyone have any that they suggest for top/sides?

2. ictghost

ictghost New Member

I wanted a factory look and bought a set (top and sides) which were for the Honda ST1300. I don't know if they would work on the 2014, but they were perfect on my 2007 and have been there ever since. I think I paid around $75 for them back then. There are probably cheaper options though.

[​IMG]

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You can try this stuff:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

You can get it in a brush on liquid, or spray on product. It comes in a variety of colours, or clear. The clear dries to a matt finish though. But your original paint showwes through quite well. I would be inclined to put a few coats on your tank though. The beauty of this product is, if you don't like, peel it off and leave your original paint behind unmarred.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Great stuff. For a new bike like that I'd get the five gallon size in either camo or dayglo and do the whole bike. There could be a little odor when the the stuff burns off the headers but it's shouldn't be that noticeable after a few hundred miles on the bike.

A less expensive method is one I saw on a Harley forum using fake fur and Velcro.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I also saw where someone did the saddle bags on his BMW. Actually, I gave him the plasti dip. He did not want to do the whole bag so masked off what he did not want done, then also masked off what was needed to make this look pleasing to the eye. He did a nice job, and it turned out looking fairly good. You could definately see the difference between the paint and the plasti dip, but do the job right, and it lookes quite OK.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    http://www.mag-knight.com/

I have one on my black Mach 1, those pads are the best thing about that bike imho, have seen other doodes using them on various hondas too. Fur works on some bikes btw, turns them into a Furby or something obscene. Cheers ; )

7. Badbilly

United States
    Looks like good stuff. I was hoping there was something in camo or chinchilla fur. I bet Plasticoat would protect this stuff real good too..

8. Badbilly

United States
    I hope there was enough left over to do a matching handle on his torque hammer. When Google gets around to providing a self riding/driving bike. Plasticote could be used to opaque oot helmet face shields. At least until it starts peeling off.

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I woukd imagine that eventually, that stuff will start to peel. But then just peel it all off and do it again I suppose. I have read where people had difficulty peeling it off. Yhey suspected they did not apply enough coats of the stuff. When I used it, it peeled off fairly easily.

I don't use anything these days to protect the paint on my tank. Last trip down to R3, it appears I had some sand or something caught under my tank bag and scratched the hell of it so it's not worth the effort until I get it painted....again. Gotta wait until I collect a few of my CPP cheques. Checks for y'all.

10. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I don't know if this stuff available your side of the pond?

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/oxford-of817-paintsaver/1261

It is easy to use on reasonably smooth surfaces, but takes real skill (and careful use of a hairdryer) to soften the film enough to apply perfectly to shapes like a fuel tank. If you plan a DIY install, then you may want to order enough to cover at least twice the planned area.

SkiMad

11. Badbilly

United States
    3M sells an 8mil film that is sold by folks under several names. 3M sells the stuff in rolls and installers and online suppliers have precut shapes for everthing from rock and chip guards to headlight protectors..

Have fun with the 3M site.. it's big..

12. Badbilly

United States
    I sent my torque hammer to SOW.. I will try some of this stuff on some vice grips I have. Lord knows what he is using it for.. ;)

For long lasting rubberized coatings, I use a company in Seattle that does all the plating for Kenworth.

13. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    This is the one I have on my bike. Looks good, real carbon fiber without the thick extra clear covering like most others.

eBay carbon tank pad

14. Badbilly

United States
    The genuine Honda protectors to fit the ST's are high quality. The 3M film is great for the leading edge of the front fender and the apex of the triangle formed by the fairing parts that always get chipped up or loaded with goo from tar snakes and misc. roadkill.

The film although great for headlight protection and works well is not as good as the pre-cut and fitted Lexan shields from Ventura.

15. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

My 07 came with the pre cut 3m stuff already installed (on the tank only) by the po, and it has held up well. It does a great job at protecting against scratches, is shiny, and looks like a factory product. That being said, I've had the bike for 3 1/2 years and it is starting to discolor just a bit. I just went to thetankslapper.biz to check it out for a replacement kit, the tank only pre cut pieces kit was $15, the kit for the whole bike was $fidddy. Sadly they don't show it for the 2014/15 model.

16. Badbilly

United States
    Maybe cover up the discoloration with some of that rattlecan rubber stuff..;)

17. Motoman827

Motoman827 New Member

Hey Dave - how do these protectors adhere to the tank?

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Get these .... I know several guys that have them and they are AWESOME!

I'll be ordering a set for my bike this winter after it gets new paint ....

http://techspec-usa.com/

19. Badbilly

United States
    The ad reads "Carbon Fiber (fibre) type.. Had a similar one on the mach 1 91 for years. Looked good. lasted until I chucked it with the new paint but carbon fi ?? Nope. The backing sticks to steel tanks using the same technology as is found on refrigerator magnets. Magnetized Iron Oxide suspended in a type of plastic.

A real carbon fiber protective sheet withoot being sealed in with some sort of clearcoating would tear holes in most riding gear..

Bottom line..? When wheeling and dealing on EBay..Caveat Emptor and read the nannoprint.

20. Badbilly

United States
    So do ya get a shit load of decals too? Looks like good stuff if they are anything like bedliners for trucks. A wise man once said that those who do not know history ect. probably made up shit like the dude who wrote that tank protectors and knee grips have been around since the 40's (1940s) Try the teens and package trays on some old Brit iron.

Moi? I'll Take a pass on the snakeskin...Got shed of the Harley long ago..