Old School Racing

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Gator, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  2. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Cool

And an upright riding style to go with them.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Why anyone would or could be interested in that old time shit is beyond me.. Did anyone notice any signs for earplugs? All that black leather too. Bunch of hooligans IMO.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Everything is beyond BB! BB is the new word for moron!

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol, I'm sure Billy loves a lot of these old bikes. I really like the old 2 strokers. How anyone could not be terrified hauling ass on and old stock suspension Kawi H2 is beyond me. I had one for about a month way back in my youth. Sold it after I realized that the fantastic motor lived in a bike that could not stop and handled like crap. That led to my first in line 4, a KZ 1000 with a Kerker header. Oh what a sweet sound.

6. Badbilly

United States
    All those dudes that ride that old shit have to be fags. Some of those old crumbling machines don't even have rear suspension. That's why the riders are gay.

Short one on that Kawasaki Triple.. Being gainfully employed when those monsters first breached our shores, I was in the market for a new bike. The local dealer had some of the Triples and was essentially a Triumph shop. The sales dude was quick to drool aboot the wonders of the bike so I took a test ride. My total time on any two-stroke was on singles. I think I was in second cog when the MOFO came up on the pipe and lofted the front more than I wanted it to. The rest of the handling and not mentioned much, the brakes were shit too. I took it back and told the sales dude the damn thing was dangerous. He chalked it off as me being a slow fast guy.. Fast forward to buying a Triumph.. Same sales dude apologized and had not ridden said Triple at the time. This may be rumor but the bikes being sold, came into the Port of Houston and were said to be 80-90 HP.. Later models were detuned. Great engines and ya still see the engines in frames like Trackmasters going real fast in vintage racing.

For my next theory, I think SOW and Norcalboy are one in the same..

Cheers..

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The triple I had was well sorted. Well at least the engine, re-jeted and a nice set of chambers. I had rode brand new stock ones a few times and this one was considerably stronger. If you did not cover the rear brake you could easily loop the monster. I did loop my RD back in the day........... Amazing how much better they run on a cool damp morning. lol

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You don't like some of the old bikes in that video? How about the cb 750's with open headers? That is music to me.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Like em all!! Most of the iron shown are running racebikes. Lots of hard to ID rides too. Even the Aeromacchis. Thankee Jesus the Italians didn't let Harley mess with the bikes other than some HD stickers..

When the 750 fours came out. I was in the Ventura area doing some work stuff. Damn near bought one and was gonna ride it back to Houston. The dealer there let me take one out for as long as I wanted.. The only fours I really had any first hand knowledge about were the Arial Square Fours that had ignition, cooling and leak problems. Very damned impressive that one.. This was Hondas first bike at least here that was not too small for me. The 360' twins were great bikes but way too small for me. Those early 750 fours were good looking too.. Well, maybe not the paint jobs.. ;)

Never had a street two stoke.. Rode a bud's Gamma a couple of times. That one was a handful too.

One of the great noises of all time (IMO) was the big Honda Six with open megs.. Saw two of them at Texas International near College Station take some laps on the big oval. The crashwalls are concrete and steel and the oval is I think a two miler. The locals must have thought it was the apocalypse come to get them..

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  11. Badbilly

United States
    A not so good connection here today.. Error message on this one.. Sidebar.. MS is converting to a new OS and this may be the reason..

I was ride coordinator for my club for several years. The club does a yearly out of Seattle to Winthrop via Highway 20. Late October, so we call it the "Freezin your gas on the pass" (or ass) ride. Two of our members ride 850 Commandos. Both sort of fast guys and very competitive.. an exerpt:

Smokin Nortons in the pass
    Crazy Al and Doorstop Dave haulin ass.. ect..

Before the ride as HMFIC, a few things to go over and some ground school for the new guys. One new guy was in tow on one of the big sixes.. The Norton dudes take off ahead of the pack when we hit 20. New dude on the six takes off at a good pace. A couple of weeks later I get some pix from the new guy.. Shots of the Norton guys coming at him. WTF??? He is not only passing the two Norton dudes but going way out ahead , stopping and shooting pix.. Holy Shit! New guy is officially known from that day forward as Fast Dave.. A couple of years down the road I passed the RC baton over to Dave. Dave has a brother who is a nuke sub skipper and is damn fast too.. Good guys both..

The bikes count bigtime in some cases.. The riders are the larger factor. We stuck one of the fast guys who races regularly on a stripped down but otherwise stock GW 4 in one of the vintage heats at PIR. He cleaned house..

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    So many good roads out your way. Been on 20 many times.

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

Gator that was our first 24hr bike! We raced it the first three years. Not terrifying at all, especially with all the gussets we welded in. You just had to be MaGilla gorilla to muscle that thing around. Aaaaaahhh yes that two stroke sound and the rattle when you pull the wrist pin out of the bottom of a piston when the center seizes then you start to lose power..........

Loved the vid even the parts falling off 509. lol.

14. Badbilly

United States
    Loved the course marshall's reverence for the part that fell off.. Probably a soccer player.

15. NormK

NormK New Member

Billy, my first encounter with an Aeromacchi in the sixties cost me a motor in my A10 BSA. A group of us were heading out to a hillclimb event and this little pip squeak, Jappanese looking thing went past us. That was an insult to British Iron and so I went after him. Chased him for 30 miles before we got to the hillclimb gates I pulled alongside him, pulled the clutch and the motor locked straight up, and that stinkin little Aeromacchi just sat there idling like it had just been ridden around the block

16. Badbilly

United States
    Several of the 250s and 350s in my club. One or maybe more of the 500cc models with the exposed flywheel. There was a significant rule change in AMA flat tracking about 1960. Reduction in displacement and brakes for Novice riders. Several were killed in a short time at Ascot.. A few Aeromacchis showed up as flat track bikes and seemed to work well. Working well aka not blowing up.. Had two BSAs. A Gold Star flat tracker and a borrowed B33.

We don't have at least to my experience the type of hillclimbs y'all have. By that I mean paved courses. One exception is Pikes Peak which is now paved all that way to the top.. Our version is dirt. Many of the bikes are highly modified in all respects and run hot fuel. Lots of footage of now and before on Utube. Then ya got the most famous example in "On Any Sunday" of Malcolm Smith doing the impossible.

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    it would be more interesting if they raced Honda scooters-some are quite fast.

18. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    A friend of mine around the corner has and used to race an Aeromacchis which he built from scratch. It's setting in his living room now as an art piece. You can see half of it at the bottom of the link page. http://www.solodynasystems.biz/solo_dyna_systems_starter_.html

19. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    My black Honda scooter is fairly fast so I have to agree with SOW on this one.

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Talking about the Aeromacchis got me thinking about MV Agusta and when Harley bought them. Had to look up the history of Aeromacchis, Harley bought 50% of them in 1960 and then the whole company in 74 when it was AMF Harley. Hardley's infatuation with Italian bikes.