Bike goes into neutral when changing between 4th & 5th

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Joe B, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Joe B

Joe B New Member

I bought the bike (VFR1200F - MY2014) off the showroom floor in March 2015 (0 kms) and it currently only has 2200kms on the clock.

When riding I normally keep the bike between 3000-4000rpm, except for the few times when I have needed the acceleration to make a quick overtaking move.

On at least 3 occasions in the last few weeks the bike has gone into "neutral" when I have changed gears from 4th to 5th gear as I'm overtaking.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer next week, but I just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue.

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    When you say it has gone into neutral, do you have to work your way back up through 2nd, 3rd, then 4th? Or does it slip and then go into 5th after you hit it again? My thought in that case would be the wrong oil. Something that has friction modifiers like automobile oil. Big no-no. If it is going into real neutral and you have to go through the gears, that is scary as shit.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Miised shifts can be a combination of many things, from the actual shifting mechanism to internal transmission part wear...unfortunately, they all involve the transmission. Factory Pro makes an excellent shift star and detent arm kit that will clean up niggling issues with missed shifts caused by these parts ....but they don't make one for the 12.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'd do what Norcalboy suggests. Chuck the 1200 and buy a bike one of those shifter kits will fit on. Norcalboy is gaining on SOW for the position of Queen of Information.

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Now that, was funny...

6. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Oil will affect it if its too thick. too heavy, friction modifiers will not do that.
    It really can only be bad tolerances in the shifting mechanism components, or something not alaigned properly, but what ever it is the bike is under warranty, so take it back and keep written records of everything you do and enything they tell you.
    A problem that is recorded and doesn't go away after warranty is finnished, is still covered.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Be persistant and keep records of when you go to the dealer etc...good luck.

8. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    I think most all of us have experienced a false neutral at some point and on some bikes. You have a new bike with low miles. Probably not a mechanical issue - more likely a shifting technique issue. Be more deliberate and shift with more authority.
    The trans shifting should also smooth out with more miles.
    Oh, and get the oil changed!

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the problem is mechanical and the warrantee is still in effect, then the dealer should make good on the problem. The first tactic they will attempt is to lay it off on poor shifting technique which may in fact be the case. Go in armed for bear.. Google: false neutrals motorcycle transmissions. Oh shit, you guys don't have bears except in zoos. I guess the next best critter that is badass in one of those bigass lizards down there. I hear they are a great population controller and insurer that the tourists go home.

10. Joe B

Joe B New Member

The bike had its 1000km service 21st May, so the oil type certainly should be OK (I've not done any work on the bike - it's only 4 months old).
    As to shifting technique, I always give the shift lever the same "firm" upwards movement.
    When this problem occurs, the display/instrument panel changes from 4 to a - (neutral) & the rpm display will jump from around 4000 to about 8000, but a second upwards movement of the shift lever will "kick" it up to 5th gear.
    I was wearing a helmet cam when this happened last week, so I'm not going to put this crap down to shift technique with the dealer.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I will keep the forum updated as to what the dealer has to say and what they do to the bike.

11. NormK

NormK New Member

Something else I think could end up a problem is the low revs you are using. I think I read that some Germans have had several 1200 engines fail and the cause has been put down to riding with the revs too low, 3/4000rpm. I could be wrong but I'm sure that was the guts of the story. It is in here somewhere

12. Joe B

Joe B New Member

Well, it looks like the problem is me ... not the bike.
    After talking to the senior mechanic, the issue is all down to me riding at a too low an rpm.
    As the problem is not consistent, the mechanic was telling me that the bike should be ridden >5000-7000 rpm and
    it is especially required when using the higher gears.
    On the way home I kept it to around 6000rpm & was doing 140kmph in 3rd (in an 80kmph zone) ....
    At least I know that there is nothing wrong with the bike.

13. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Shit, hope you don't use 6th gear on an 80 zone then.
    Don't worry too much, engine and gearbox will loosen up with more kilometers.
    Oil type will make a difference to shift, some oils make things on some bikes better or worse.
    On my 5th gen, I rarely go bellow 4000rpm, and don't shift till around 6000.
    If I'm having fun on the Old road, I keep it above 6000 and shift around 9500.
    Don't worry about what gear your in, just keep it above 5000.

14. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    Very good suggestion from mechanic for operational health of the VFR. But I question that this will eliminate the false neutral. If the issue recurs you might try adjusting the shift lever down from where it sits now. This should make the shift quicker and more complete - especially at higher road speeds.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Good luck,
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  15. haygood

haygood New Member

United States
    Wow. I ride between 3k-4k all the time in my '99 VFR800. Should I really be cruising around town a 5-6k?

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    You're fine ... 3k is a little low and you're probably getting a little lugging .. but I'll often boot around at 3,800-4,800 rpm on relaxed riding.

If I'm a little aggressive, I'll keep it between 5,500-6,500 (before VTEC ... I'm 6th gen) on average.

If I'm feeling a little owly, I'll keep it above 6,500rpm .... :)

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    My two cents is this: I would rather rev the motor freely than lug an engine in incorrect gear. 3-4000 is low to be cruising around town, 5-6 is pretty perfect. Funny thing is all bikes like this rpm range, don't ask me how I know this, but I do :loco: Peace and happy/safe riding.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya the vfr likes 5-6 but I think it really like 7 -10,000 the best because the engine is using all 16 v instead of 8v where it may actually be unhappy-old man speed. It does not like 3-4.2 rev-bad for engine. Listen to the sounds-more noise-happy engine.:vtr2:

19. haygood

haygood New Member

United States
    OK, I'll step them up a little. I tend to do a lot of poking around in traffic, so I'm generally shifting at 4 and hardly using any power. I probably don't use more than half throttle below 4k unless I am taking off from a stop.

20. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    For traffic ride in 2nd, for around town, use 4-5th gears, and remember that 6th gear is an overdrive and you can shift from 5 to 6 at 9000 rpm or higher. Don't be afraid to rev it freely, adventually you will get good at matching RPM to speed your traveling. Cheers...