Thinking About Buying A 1994 Honda VFR750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Stephen6096, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

Hey, I am new to this forum and I am seriously thinking about buying a 1994 Honda VFR750 and am going to look at one tomorrow morning around noon. I am mechanically experience on airplanes and cars even though I am young, but have little to no experience with motorcycles.

I was wondering if anyone had information on what to look for and what to check before, while, and after test riding it. Also are there any weird quirks that can be hidden by doing certain things that I would need to look for and are there any major problems with the bikes that if they have I will need to avoid.

Some info on the bike. It is a higher mileage bike then what I am looking for at about 50,000 miles. It has a ding or two in the gas tank which I can easily fix. It has been dropped one time which cracked the fender on the left side and that is all. It is not the best fix ever on the fender but I can fix it correctly and make it look like new. The bike was plasti dipped to avoid having to paint the bike after the fender repair.

The current owner is the second owner and has only had the bike for about 6 months I believe. He does not have any info on the bikes maintenance records. Only thing he has had to do it change the oil and said the bike runs real strong which I will verify after riding it.

From what I have seen other bikes of this type and in about the same condition, it is going for a good deal which is why I want it but I figured I would ask on here first to see if there is anything to look for when purchasing.

Any and all help is appreciated and I hope you can all pass your buying knowledge down to me.

Thanks in advance, Stephen.

2. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the forum Stephen. The 4th gens are pretty bullet proof design. I have one. For sale in the classifieds. Shameless plug. Anyway put it on the center stand and check the chain for kinks. Should rotate the wheel without problems. The R&R was probably already replaced by now. Good luck and let us know.

3. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    They do seem to be very reliable bikes. The rectifier/regulators were the only significant problem I'm aware of, but that can be upgraded with newer MOSFET designs and a VFRness wiring harness. Take a DMM or voltage tester to see if the alternator and battery are happy.

Just thoroughly check all the regular stuff that wears out...tires, chain, sprockets, brakes, oil, coolant. Be sure there isn't any oil in the coolant or vice versa. If the bike hasn't been used much recently, budget for a carb overhaul. It's possible that a bottle of Techron or other comparable fuel treatment will help.

I'd listen carefully for valve tapping...these are shim-over-bucket tappets and require an occasional valve lash check. Used trim parts are still available, although they do tend to be expensive.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The bike was plasti-dipped because the front fender was broken? The seller has had the bike how long? No records at all including the oil changes done in six months by the seller?

I'd take somebody with you that knows bikes before handing over any pesos.

5. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

Sorry about saying fender, I meant the left mid fairing.

6. Badbilly

United States
    Not a big deal.. The big deal is using that stuff to cover up some busted plastic is in my mind along with the other MIA is an indicator of not so great condition.

The bikes are great. This one???

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Unless you are getting an absolute steal on the bike and paying less than $1000 for it I would look for something better. You can find plenty of 4th Gen VFR's with less mileage and in better overall shape for between $2000 - $2500.

Rollin

8. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

I couldn't find but one for 2,000 or less in the shape of this one or comparable. That one was already sold so this one im describing is my choice.

Im gonna pay 1,700 for it due to the fact that the thing runs near perfect. Mechanically the only thing wrong is the chain has one or two spots in it that are a little bit loose. Other than that it starts and runs perfect in all gears. It is a great fitting bike for me personally. It has fairly new tires and comes with an extra front tire that the previous owner gave him that is new and never mounted. The fairings do have some cosmetic issues but they are all fairly easy to repair with just minor sanding and bondo or similar work.

It also has 2 dings in the take one barely visible the other a little bit worse which is also a simple fix.

All in all I think it is a great deal especially for the price since that is about all I have at the moment.

I have to drive it about 2 hours home which is the only part that kind of sucks but I guess it will give me time to get to know the bike.

If anyone has any comments about what I paid or tips on driving them please let me know.

Thanks, Stephen.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. Badbilly

United States
    What ya need to figure oot is whether you're in love or in heat.. Sorry, but IMO, that bike is gonna be problematic. Again, the bikes are great but this one doesn't sound all that good.

A couple of things: A loose chain on a VFR us usually just loose and takes a couple of minutes to adjust if you have the pin spanner. Tight or kinked calls for a new chain and sprockets.

Bondo or any of the Bondo product lines that are epoxy or polyester ain't worth hoot for ABS fairing repair.

Fine for that tank that's dinged. When all that gets fixed the bike will need a repaint. Just the paint unless a couple of $.99 each rattlecans from WalMart is in the plan, will cost you roughly 200 bucks .

I think most of the old hands here will suggest you keep looking.

Tips on riding are best addressed as a minimum by taking a state sponsored riding course.

10. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

First of all you didn't ride the bike, at least I don't think. It rides great and is mechanically sound. Yes the plastics are a bit messed up but easily repairable and can be done very cheaply at home. The plastics are the only thing wrong and a chain that is a tiny bit loose. Reprinting can be done by me also which takes cost down to maybe $75 in supplies.

So in all I'll put at most $300 into it and have a fun project along with a great looking bike after a few weeks.

And by tips on driving I meant any weird quirks on the bike. I've taken both the basic and advance courses.

Thanks, Stephen.

11. Badbilly

United States
    I guess that puts me in my place.

12. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd absolutely buy it! Great bike. My 4th gen has no handling quirks that I can think of, other than a good chance of a speeding ticket.

13. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, you get it? If you did, pics or it never happened. :cool-new:

14. Badbilly

United States
    Hang in there till this kid stuffs another thou into replacing worn parts and busted stuff and goes broke. All ya have be is llttle patient.

o

15. Badbilly

United States
    Patience!! He may be on the side of the road somewhere with a failed R/R ,a busted chain, a bottomed out shock or a flat or two.

16. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

Well arent you just mr. negative. What have I ever done to you other than post about buying a bike and getting peoples opinions. Sorry I posted on the form. Everyone else on here is nice and you are over here wishing for people to break down or get hurt. Shows what kind of person you are.

17. Stephen6096

Stephen6096 New Member

Yes, I got it and have already put almost 300 on it due to the drive home. The fender are not even broken as much as I or others thought. Most of them just need sanded down some in the bad spot from where the previous repair main just swiped some stuff on there and never sanded it down. I dont know how well the paint is under the bike, but either way once I sand it down, I will be repainting it anyway. Changed the oil today and replaced all the other fluid even though they looked like they could go another 1000-2000, but thats just something I do any time I get any kind of vehicle. Shifts great and rides/sounds as smooth as a new bike.

Might be a little banged up but nothing a day or 2 of work wont fix.

I will try to get some pics of it in a day or 2 if I remember.

Thanks, Stephen

18. Badbilly

United States
    I like the part where the bike is two hours ride from where this dude lives and he has 300 miles on the bike. That is almost as fast as the mach 1 91. ;)

We may have here the Son of SOW.

19. Badbilly

United States
    If I was nice it would totally ruin my status as Troll of the year. I hope to be re-elected by a huge margin unless usurped by Donald Trump.

20. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on the new ride Stephen! Sounds like you got a plan and under control and not much to get her looking good. I am sure you will be enjoying it thoroughly, especially in coming months when it cools off a bit. We await your pics.