electrical problem...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by arabianjules, Aug 1, 2015.

1. arabianjules

arabianjules New Member

Map
    I picked up an electrical fault on the VFR on friday on way up to my parents. started as headlights on, turn on idicators = bike cuts out, all dash display still lite as normal, turn off headlights, bike starts and runs.
    Then went on to just turn headlights on, bike cuts out, with a `buzzing ` noise from behind clocks.
    with headlights off, indicators work fine, although i did notice on way home yesterday the indicator light on dash seems to dim? while blinking.

Any thoughts and tips would be gratelly appricated thanks. :|

02 VFR VTTEC UK SPEC.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Clean, burnish, wire brush, whatever works all ground (earth) connections. Strange things can happen when circuits backfeed through other devices to find ground.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I am not sure if this changes by year but if these bikes are all the same then wiring may connect the headlight and the kill switch. There is one physical link to explain the relation between headlights and turns and the engine shutting off. Look for damage and potential shorts along the wiring from the headlight to the kill switch.

Open both of these switch boxes and clean them with electronics cleaner. Corrosion here would probably create an open circuit and not a short, but that depends on how the switches are wired, which I do not know.

4. NormK

NormK New Member

Also do "theDrill" never to early to check that stinkin connector between the stator and rec/reg, if that is starting to fail, and it WILL, it will take out all the charging system

5. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

I asked this same question a few months back as I had this happen too. Checked all my earths and everything was fine. All I can think of is the kill switch short so that is now to be checked.
    Picked up another problem yesterday .... FI light came on but when I got home it started to flash in random sequences. Nothing in manual.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Bad grounds

7. arabianjules

arabianjules New Member

Map
    ok, so had a quick look today, just the seat off, on holidays tomorrow so i dont want to have the bike in bits just yet.

measured voltage across the battery; 12.7v engine off, 14.4v engine on, so it must be charging?

switched lights on, and all ok! then indicators all ok!.....result, i thought

stripped down RH switch gear, had a look and wd40`d it, while doing so found the the 2 pipe connectors/loom connector nuts loose? and tightened them.

tried bike again, cut out as soon as lights to dipped.

so i will take fairings off etc when i get back and investigate some of these plugs you have mentioned.

Thanks.

John.

8. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi John

Hmm sounded like I had come across this before, so I checked using the VFRW search facility and found this thread.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/49037-Bussing-relay-headlight

There seems to be some overlap with the issues you report - especially the buzzing noise behind the clocks, on a similar spec VFR.

So if it was my VFR I would probably have a quick check behind the screen for loose connectors or relays not fully plugged into their mounts ... if that does not resolve the problem, before putting things back together, I would take time to dismount the buzzing relay and test it is not defective.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

9. arabianjules

arabianjules New Member

Map
    thanks mate,

now you mention that, i did change the indicator relay a few months ago.......surely not?

John.

10. arabianjules

arabianjules New Member

Map
    Bikes fixed! :triumphant:

thanks for all the help and pointers on here, it seems there was a great thread on Bikers oracle; http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=72751

anyway, got pointed in the direction of the yellow earth plug behind the lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as can be seem, a bit `furry` to say the least, and had a burnt/damaged pin

[​IMG]

stripped it down, cleaned it up, and tried the bike, all good! so popped the front fairing on to wire the lights in to try it again, ALL GOOD!

happy bunny. :chaingun: