Handlebars won't unlock from ignition

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Dsimpson, Aug 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dsimpson

Dsimpson New Member

I just signed up to VFR world and I could go for a ride this morning due to a ignition/handlebar issue.

I can't get my handle bars to unlock on my 2006 VFR 800a.
    Never had this issue before.
    I did notice that my original key is in bad shape and wondering if I get a new key it will remedy this issue.

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Are you sure there is no tension on the front wheel? It can put pressure on the lock making it difficult to turn the key. Happens to the best of us from time to time.

3. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Just out of curiosity, have you locked and unlocked it before.

And...Welcome to the World!

4. Dsimpson

Dsimpson New Member

Yes I made sure there is no pressure on the handle bars...I just am in the middle of a trip and on the way down I locked and unlocked it repeatedly with no major issue.
    Sometimes when I go to lock it you have to make sure the handlebars are to the left full before it will lock but nothing major.
    It's been sitting for a couple of days and went to go for ride and no go. I have tried every way that I can think of and no go.
    It's on the center stand so there is no pressure.
    The key goes in fine just won't turn...at all. I'm afraid it will snap off and then I've got another issue.

5. Dsimpson

Dsimpson New Member

The key is visibly twisted and I'm hoping it's as simple as getting a new key.
    Of course it's a holiday here in British Columbia so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    try some graphite lock lube-the key thing is very touché, I put that stuff on all the time and it does work

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'd try wiggling the key up and down a little in the barrel as you turn it. I got new keys cut and until I'd used them a bit, they were very sensitive to the exact right position or they wouldn't turn. I presume you've tried wiggling the handlebars a little as you turn the key?

Have you tried (gently!!!) to straighten your bent key a little?

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If you don't have any graphite lube, just take a pencil and rub a bunch of the graphite lead from the pencil all over the key and run the key in and out of the ignition several times. It really Does make a huge difference. I do this fairly often on all my keys.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

Hi and welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:.

Others have covered the obvious solutions to problems with ignition keys/locks. If the key won't turn, take the bike off the side stand, turn the steering full left to release any pressure on the locking pin before pushing down and turning the key. If necessary you may need to jiggle the steering slightly. If the key still won't turn make sure it is the right key - does it free the seat release - compare with the other key? If you do have two keys, then it is worth trying the spare as sometimes locks wear and adapt to the keys being used and you may find a previous owner always used the same key.

A replacement key may help especially if one key is actually damaged - but it may be a costly solution if your VFR has the Honda HISS system as new keys will need to be coded by the dealer to the ECU.

Let us know how you get on. In the meantime please swing by the Introductions part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here.

Take care

SkiMad

10. Dsimpson

Dsimpson New Member

Thanks for all the help. I tried all the suggestions ( learned a few new tricks) but was not able to get my key to move. I took it to a locksmith too get a new key cut and he said that there was some wear on the key that indicated the tumbler might be having issues ( you think :) )I picked up some graphite lube and tried the new key. This did not work.

I then phoned the local Honda dealer and asked how I could remove the ignition and they said it couldn't be done as there is anti theft bolts, and they advised me to drill out the tumbler so that I could free the pin that was locking the handles. They also said that I had to disconnect the battery as I could blow a fuse.

I used a 3/8" drill bit and eventually got through and was able to free the pin and the handle bars were free. I then called a tow truck as Honda said there is no way to hot wire this bike ( I'm sure there is and I have insurance to get a free tow so I didn't pursue).

I'm currently waiting for Honda too instal a whole new ignition:(

11. Dsimpson

Dsimpson New Member

Also I tried going to the introduction page to fill some info in but the page won't load.

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You just can't catch a break can you?