Wheel stripes?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by KentuckyThunder, Aug 4, 2015.

1. KentuckyThunder

KentuckyThunder New Member

United States
    Map
    I've searched threads here but I'm not seeing anything, may have missed it. But - has anyone done the wheel stripe thing on their VFR, particularly a 98 red VFR800? I'm thinking of doing it on my black wheels and am wondering if anyone has done this and what color did they use? How did it turn out and do you have pics?

I've done it before and was happy with the finished look, but I've found that once you put that tape on, it is hard to remove after a couple of days, making it semi-permanent.

Soooo, if you did it, what color/tape brand did you use, where did you get it and how happy were you with it? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I grabbed some reflective striping from http://www.reflectivelyyours.com/ I actually put black tape on my black wheels, so it's not noticeable except when light shines on the wheel. I was thinking about going with a different color but I went with a more of a "stealth" look. Hopefully Duccmann will chime in and post of pic of his wheels as he has red striping on his, it looks real good as his bike is a red '02.

Without light reflecting on the wheel...

[​IMG]

And when light is reflecting...

[​IMG]

You can see a slight reflection on the center stand too in this pic. I had put a small strip along this and even the back of my top case.

[​IMG]

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The idea is that the tape sticks to the surface. What might be more worrysome is poor prep or poor cleaning, applying the tape over some embedded brake dust and the tape not sticking. All kind of colors, widths and price points on "striping tape". Another factor is that more aggressive cleaning products are sometimes used on wheels that collect brake dust and chain lube and the cleaning products can affect the adhesive on the various tapes.

A better solution IMO would be to use paint. There are "striping" paints oot there in many colors that will do the job and can be applied by methods other than spraying. "One Shot" is a popular choice.

Singling oot specific VFR wheels and a particular type or brand of tape may be counterproductive. Wheel surface profiles differ in different years as do the factory coatings on various wheels.

Bottom line here is, there ain't no one size fits all. Kinda like all zebras are different.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    uploadfromtaptalk1438787119965.jpg
    Changed it....it was a bitch getting the old red tape off after being on for 4 years...
    My neighbors heat gun helped immensely

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

6. KentuckyThunder

United States
    Map
    Thanks, guys, appreciate the photos. Think I'll go with red stripes on the black wheels. Tapeworks has some interesting stuff if you haven't visited their site...www.tapeworks.com.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Ha! By sheer coincidence, they have an 8 spoke wheel for one of their photos!

[​IMG]

8. hotshoe1200

hotshoe1200 New Member

United States
    Got mine from Tapeworks. They sell a cool little tool for quick and easy, foolproof installation. Good tip for installation is to clean your wheels with alcohol or adhesive cleaner. Let's see if I can post some pics: IMG_20150510_131916_921.jpg DSC00021.jpg

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Now thats a first,
    ON YOUR LEFT :)
    Wheel looks great

10. Motleyfan

Motleyfan New Member

United States
    That's my 07 RWB model that I did 2 stripes on.

Nick

11. KentuckyThunder

United States
    Map
    That Avengers/C.A. wrap is pretty cool, haven't seen that before. Nicely done. The wheel stripes look good too.