God speed justin

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by duccmann, Aug 24, 2015.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Terrible year for racing, Justin Wilson dies after being hit by debris in Indycar racing and two were killed in MotoAmerica.

2. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
  3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I just finished it from yesterday, stopped watching at work with 20 laps to go....my neighbor said something about someone in a coma around 8 tonight....shocking...just googled it...just like top fuel cars, and race boats, the answer is a sealed cockpit
    Remember Massa in F1 getting hit in the forehead by a spring and now this. One of the most craziest IndyCar race I've ever seen...

4. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    I know many will disagree, but a tragedy isn't always a reason to change. Seeing the human is a big part of the appeal, and if IndyCar needs closed cockpits, then MotoAmerica and MotoGp shpuld apparently be shutdown. I am the biggest of IndyCar fans, but we have to remember that danger is a central part of the sport (if it wasn't dangerous anyone could do it). Don't get me wrong, I hate crashes because I love racing; but its a sport of skill and bravery. Justin himself was nearly paralyzed by hitting a pothole in the infield a few years back. Should we have IndyCars with a 12 inch ride height to avoid that?

One last point. The need we have to make changes to eliminate danger is the same rational the folks that would see your motorcycle outlawed to protect you subscribe to. RIP Justin. He died doing what he loves, which is more than most of us will be able to say.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States

This. How many folks have died at the Isle of Man? It'll be a sad day when the "know what's best for everyone" folks shut it down.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Your right you get hazard pay and your doin what ya love.....pin it

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    So long as these events do not pose an unacceptable risk to the spectator, I think most of these people who perform in these events are aware of the risks they take. I am sure it is part of the lure for them.

This reminds me of the tragic death of Nodar Kumaritashivili. A real tongue twister. He was the young Olympian at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics for Georgia who was killed during one of his practice runs down the luge when his sled hit a support pole. I believe he too, like all Olympians in hazardous sports, knew there was a danger involved but weighed out and managed the risk as best he could. Unfortunately he was going just too fast for the track.

Sad, but this is the life of many sportsmen. RIP

8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    You guys got it right.
    I hate that it happens but not everything in the world can be controlled.
    The advancements in motor racing safety over the past 10 or 15 years are pretty impressive.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yup, hazard pay for risking there lives every race.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  10. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Your right that racing is dangerous and always has been no matter what type of racing. "A" tragedy is not a reason to stop. Many tragedies may be part of the reason to do so. Here's an article I stumbled across about Justin and this writers point of view.

Here's a quote:

It's already too late to undo the tragedy and mayhem of the last two decades. Going back to 1996, eight drivers, six fans, and one track official have been killed at IndyCar events, either in the current series or its predecessors, the Indy Racing League and CART-Champ Car.

One death is too many, but compared to two other major series, Formula One and NASCAR, IndyCar's mortality rate is simply unacceptable.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/08/28/column-after-another-tragedy-on-track-it-time-to-pull-plug-on-indycar-racing/

I think he does have some good points. I don't really think they should kill Indy cars, but they need to make it safer like some of the other racing organizations. You can only do so much to make a dangerous sport safe but things can be done to do so.

Check out Darrio Franchitti's crash that took him out of racing. Notice all the debris going in to the spectator stands. This coarse is an added danger because there is no run off room at all. Something goes wrong and you will crash.

Happens at the 2:30-3:00 minute mark.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...&mid=863FFA9FF95AA1248499863FFA9FF95AA1248499

I was a big CART fan and Indy cars of the 500 only. When CART went under and Indy car was the only game in town I drifted away. Even today I don't really watch Indy car because it's "Spec" car racing AFAIC. Spec car is boring most of the time and stifles innovation.

Justin RIP

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Honestly, I think Indy is one of the best series out there, but Im parcel to road courses. That last race was mayhem from the green flag, 8 wide down the straights. ..
    Looking forward to this weekends race

12. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    You really can't compare IndyCar to F1 or Nascar. In F1, the cars are seldom near each other and in Nascar, well, I really don't call that racing. Maybe we should make baseballs cushy too.