So, you just want to skip ATGATT this time, huh?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Lint, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I went for an evening ride with the Ducati Owners Club and a newly made friend crashed. He's been riding for a long time, so it wasn't inexperience. Hit a big patch of gravel that was in the middle of the turn. He was wearing a Dainese two piece suit, correct boots and gloves, and I think a Shoie helmet. The bike high sided and I was the second bike back. I got to see his bike in mid air in a big cloud of dust. He got up and walked away from this. He's sore, and tomorrow will be rough, but the gear saved his ass. The rider is the guy in red.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    In a couple weeks, I go on an annual 3 or 4 day ride with a few friends. Two years ago, one of them hit a deer in full flight while he was rounding the curve in the high 50's low 60's. He and his bike then hit a tree and tumbled down a deep rock covered embankment. He climbed this bank ot the top, got on his badly bent VFR, and rode about two hours to Spokane Washington where we loaded up him and his bike and came home in my truck. We were able to do this cause.....you guessed it. ATGATT. Bike was a write off. He was black and blue but no broken or fractured bones.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I do not suppose you have a picture of the turn? And what speed were you all going?

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, shit happens...sometimes.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    Are you a cop?

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    WTF that reads like a cartoon story, for a minute there I thought you were going to say, "and then a piano came out of nowhere and landed on him...."

7. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Randy is one, well, retired, as far as I know

8. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    No, an engineer.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Glad ta hear he walked away....what canyon Chester?

10. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I figured he was curious, like me, to know if speed was a contributing factor. Moving fast enough that dodging the gravel patch wasn't an option.

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The pace was decent, but it was more the location of the gravel, transitioning from one turn to another. I did not get any pics of the gravel, as my battery was almost depleted and no one else took pics of it. His front tire held, but his back tire didn't. Basically, it was just gravel in a really bad place.

This should take you to the spot where the gravel was one big strip across the middle of the road, about 30 feet long and about 2 feet wide. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.382...4!1slsZmTiBwte7VTuHCWtztSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Ya. I guess it does read that way. Even more funny. Was the first day of deer hunting with bow in Oregon. A couple bow hunters happened by and helped us winch the bike out of the ditch/ravine. They then walked into the bushes on the uphill side of the road and found the dead deer. Thay threw their tag on it. Sounds unbelievable? I have pix. Had a beer and burger with buddy just yesterday and we laughed over this once again.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Regarding the cause of the highside I'd like to know what the rider was doing exactly. When the tire slipped did he cut off the throttle or kept it open? Or did he jump on the brakes?

I had 1 or 2 close calls in which the rear tire slipped while in a curve and I think what helped me out of it was I kept the throttle constant and didn't panic. According to theory if the bike feels like it's going to lose it it's best to stay at the same throttle, the tire will eventually regain traction. If it won't regain traction then you'll end up doing a low-side which is much better than a high side.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dusk, shadows could of played a bad hand

15. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Too funny! I wonder if this friend got half the deer, it's only fair, he totalled his bike :lol:

16. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Speed is the first thing that comes to mind. But also I want to know everything about what happened, as a learning experience. The technical person in me just likes details. As one of my prior bosses, a laboratory manager says, "It's all in the details."

I actually find it funny that many people do not care about such details. I live in a different universe I suppose.

17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Of course it's just a guess since the guy isn't here to tell us what happened, but I'd say that he was under power through the gravel. The front end made it, but the rear, being under power, slid sideways in the gravel then caught as it came out of the gravel, and BOOM: highside. That's my guess anyway, and it's purely supposition.

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Sorry to mislead. They two hunters were total strangers to us. The guy who went down the embankment is a friend of mine. Don't think he wanted anything to do with Bambie after that.

What was equally amazing was the many offers of help we got from people. Not only getting the bike out. We were in the middle of no where where there weren't even any hydro lines around let alone cell towers. But pulling into small towns fro fuel after that on our way back to Spokane, we had a couple offers from total strangers to go get a trailer and trailer the bike for us, back to Spokane rather than Jeff riding it. Gotta love small town America. They're great peeps.

11 Bike in Ditch.jpg 12 Looking up from bike to raodway.jpg 19 Dead deer towards scene.jpg

Ride safe everyone.

19. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    That almost happened to me today. I went down my old street I use grew up on years ago. A power company bought the whole street back in the 70's and took the houses down except for about five. As I was going down the street I was lollygagging and looking at all the woods where house once stood looking for where my house used to be.

Now I was only going about 30-35 mph but I wasn't paying attention to the road or a head of me. I just get a glance of movement and look up and see a 6 point buck standing in front of me just off to the right. He jumps in to the street and some how he does a Lebron James spin around and heads for the woods like lightening.

I was just on the brakes but couldn't have stopped in time to keep from hitting him. This kind of scared the shit out of me for a moment! I ought to take my own advice and keep 100% focus on riding. Yes I was ATGATT. I did find my old homestead.

20. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    I am with you, but keep in mind such details may not be available in a reliable form.