Toolkit, what is part 89211-KJ2-000

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Knight, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I am assembling a mobile tool kit for a 5th gen. I would like to know the purpose of the attached. Here is the descriptions:

89211-KJ2-000
    WRENCH, BOX (8MM)

89211-KJ2-000 8 mm socket.jpg

I read on one blog that this part is for the preload on Gen 2-4 bikes, but cannot identify why it is in the 5th gen kit. Also, the Honda description calls this a box wrench. Is that description wrong or are all of the pictures showing a socket wrong?

If this is indeed a socket, what is it used for? Would a typical nut driver be long enough for the same task?

Also, is it necessary to carry a spark plug socket? If I am meticulous with maintenance, can I expect to have a problem with a plug that must be fixed on the road? I have iridium plugs.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I don't remember seeing that in the tool kit for my '99, but then I've not looked in it for 10 years or more. Personally if I were assembling a tool kit for traveling in the US or western Europe, it would consist of a few common sized combination wrenches, a small crescent wrench, a couple screwdrivers, the chain adjustment tool, a credit card, and a cell phone.

A tire repair kit would be a thought, but I've had one flat in 50 years of motorcycle touring so I'd risk the odds.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Got that all thanks.

I thought of a crescent wrench but will I need one if I have the wrenches listed in the kit - 8, 10,12, 14, 17, 22mm? I only ask this because it is always best to use a fixed wrench over the adjustable if available. Maybe the crescent is one of those tools that if I come across another broke down biker, I can help them out, no matter what bike they have.

I was also debating a flat kit thanks.

What do you think of a compressor? I always carry a Chinese $20 compressor in my car. I have had several leaks over the years, and that helped me get to the tire repair place without changing to the spare tire. I agree the chances of a flat or destroyed tire are slim, but the chances of having a leak are significant.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The main reason for a crescent wrench is for the odd time that you need to remove a bolt that has a nut on the back side.

Pashnit.com has a pretty nice tire repair kit but it's awfully pricey, I figured if I ever started to carry one I would probably spend the money on the one from Aerostitch. My experience with leaks is about the same as with flats: very rare. I've picked up a nail or two over the years, just never while I was on a trip, maybe three times total that I can remember.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah gotcha. It would be nice to double up on the combination wrenches for this purpose, but the crescent wrench solves this with many fewer wrenches. I will add this to my list thanks.