Problem: Occasional starting problem.

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Ahoivala, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Ahoivala

Ahoivala New Member

Hi

I have vfr 750 94 and i have this mysterious problem. Let me describe what have happened.
    Had had some troubles with old battery. Did not start that smoothly as it use to, but it did start. (atleast i tought that was the battery problem)

-I did ride 100km and stopped for gas, after that it seemd like battery was empty, totally dead. So i changed battery, worked perfectly for few days.

-For few days it worked smoothly, before it died. I stopped after 40km, and when tried to start it nothing, could not get it going. It felt excactly like battery was empty. Tried to jump start and that worked, so i did ride back home, 100km.

-After that it worked again for like few days, it started normally and felt good.

-And this morning, it was dead again, tried to jump start and worked.

So, there is some mysterious going one.
    Seems like, occasional it fails to start as warm and cold. I have no idea what is going on. If it would be charger, it should not run at all? Right? Do any of you have an idea is there some kind of woke up for charger? Could that be slack, sometimes it charges, sometimes it does not? Or could that be reley problem? Or could that even be ignition switch problem?

2. rjgti

rjgti New Member

look for the drill on tgis site, it will help ya out

3. NormK

NormK New Member

I was getting a bit concerned because there hadn't been a charging problem here for maybe 3 days, as rjgti says do "TheDrill" Honda wants fucking for these constant charging problems

4. bintings

bintings New Member

United Kingdom
    This sounds very similar to a problem I had a a month or so ago. Long story short, I had a radiator cap leak causing a loss of pressure and which would empty my coolant tank so it could be worth checking yours. I assume this led to my bike overheating which caused the recitifier to stop charging the battery? (Still don't really know what happened). Also the cable connecting to the rectifier had a burnt sections (a wire connecting to the alternator) I cleaned it out and haven't had problems since. Check my thread : http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/49089-Battery-not-charging?highlight=. If you scroll down it links you to 'the drill'.

5. Ahoivala

Ahoivala New Member

Update

Well, i started to check all the releys, fuses and plugs. And what did i found was totaly meltted fuse right nex to starter motors reley. So im going to change the reley and fuse, and hope for best. Im not sure that it is reley that burns fuse, but, let see..

6. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    You're just one short repair away for replacing that stator and R/R. Pun intended.

7. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    The relay doesn't burn the fuse, it's just from the wiring connector getting a bit dirty. I know it sounds hard to believe, but all these Hondas have this particular problem. Once those connectors corrode a bit, the resistance goes way up. Those wires carry a lot of current, and can easily create enough resistance heat to melt the connector. Good thing you caught it early - I've seen it on mostly every V4 I've had. Once I bought a burned VF1100c for parts - it had caught on fire because of connector melting on the starter relay block.

Also check the three-pin connector between the rotor and the regulator...you might find the same problem there.

8. Ahoivala

Ahoivala New Member

Hi. Thanks for the tips, i changed the relay coz fuse was melted to in it so badly. Well, that "fixed" the problem. And now bike starts like it should, but i started it, let it run few mins and checked the if any of wires start to warm up. Well, that yellow bustard from regulator to rotor was getting warm. Did not have time to open rotor end, but at in regulators end it looked quite nice. there is three pin connector at right side of bike, where it gets warm. and that connector looked bit brownish. Tried to clean it with break cleaner but did not help. Tonight im going to open that rotors end and let see what is going one there, all fingers crossed that it is about wires, not about rotor.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    you should solder all the connectors with crimps,solder, shrink tube. I had an issue when the bike got hot years ago, turned out my starter motor needed a little over haul (brushes.)

10. NormK

NormK New Member

Solder and heatshrink those bloody stator wires before you cause yourself $500 worth of damage