Biker Wave Protocol

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by renns, Sep 27, 2015.

1. renns

renns New Member

So I've been away from street motorcycles for nearly 25 yrs. I recall back in the last century that HD riders would as a rule never wave to me on my various Jap bikes. Fast forward to this summer when I pick up the VFR, and start back on two wheels again. Now I'm finding many of the HD riders do wave, perhaps more than 50% of them even. Is this typical across the continent? Are the HD riders just giving up on the discriminating wave given how many cruiser-style non-HD bikes on the road now? Do you guys give the HD riders a wave in advance to see if you get a response, or only wave if you see the wave initiated from the other bike? I wonder if they cover that in these new-fangled motorcycle riders training courses!

I've gotta say we've been having some amazing fall weather this year. The sky is clear as well, so the blood moon should be out in full in a couple hours.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    A fair number of HD riders wave here in the East Bay.

3. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    I have more Harley riders wave than gold wingers. Those guys never wave.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I wave at all riders once I'm out of the city. We're an ageing population, and I think there is a demographic shift for us erm, more mature riders away from sports bikes towards the big ADVs and cruisers that are a little more gentle on older body parts. So now instead of thinking, "there's some sleazy biker-dude on his H-D, don't even make eye contact", I now wave at the accountant/lawyer/grandfather out enjoying the two wheeled life. And they pretty often wave back!

5. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Quit waving at HD riders long time ago. I snub them now like they snub me. I probably would wave back if they waved at me, but kind of hard to tell when not even looking at them as I go by.

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I'll wave at all bikes with an engine. Waved at an e bike a few weeks ago by mistake. Hand was out before I realised and the bastard didnt even wave back. That was worse than a harley snub. If they dont wave back I just assume that they need both hands to hold on with.
    I had a guy at work ask me what the 2 fingers are for. He said bikers stick out 2 fingers at each other when they pass each other. I told him it signified the 2 wheel solidarity of brotherhood. A sign of respect for harley riders of long ago that had to keep both hands on the bars or risk being shaken off. I felt guilty after and told him the truth.
    I even wave at young kids on bicycles, they give the biggest grins when they wave back.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Awhile ago there was a poem,
    About some riders waving.

As time goes by it seems,
    The scene is always changing.

It told (the poem) of scooter wavers,
    Waving like a fan.

Of different signs ricerocketeers, make
    Waving if they can.

And those who chose to never raise,
    A warm or friendly hand.

It told (the poem) the poet's tale,
    His style of waving: back
    To all who chose to wave at him,
    He always would wave back.

A small exception there that was
    If we look back.
    Was not to wave at all the dudes.
    At anytime..
    With milk crates on their racks.

The poet takes license here writing in the spring,
    Oh mea culpa me
    I wrote the awful thing.

Of new wild groups of riders,
    Sub members of the clan.

Who never choose to lift or wave or raise a friendly hand,
    who don't salute or give a hoot.
    A growling group of tyrants bandits of the road.
    Bedecked in all black cowskin,

From top to tippy toe.

Where’s the dad- gum camera Ma,
    The thunder herds a-comin.
    Race-roaring down the down the slab
    Below the radar's hummin.

The names may well be different,
    The crankpins are the same.
    The sound is unmistakable

The dudes look
    Much the same

The newbie badass bikers join the long long ride.
    Who are these Iron cowboys,
    Who will not raise a hand?
    Sort of like you N me partner,
    Paying down their loans.

Cruising down the blacktop.
    Most on Harley Clones.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I even waved at a vespa a couple times. But scooter broncos never seem to wave back. Don't know why. Hog riders are more likely to wave back than those on scooters for some strange reason.

9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    gotta love when someone waves across like 8 lanes on a divided highway. It's like, come on... I'm trying not to get murdered here, not watching the other side of the interstate.

10. Badbilly

United States
    What this looks like is that the Brits wave at scooters with their feet. We should wait until one of the dudes from UK confirms..

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...ecorated scooters&hl=en&imgrc=Wl8XyZ5ok3xBgM:

11. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'll wave at anything that technically qualifies as a "motorcycle" under the law. We're all sharing the road with a bunch of unskilled, distracted drivers of 3000lb metal boxes. I might not agree with their choice of ride, but I'd rather they be riding than driving, and each motorcycle out their increases our visibility and safety...I think.

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I wave most of the time but if shifting no I don't!

13. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Being a novice I am detached from any "Harley vs. us" history. I wave at everybody and everybody waves at me. I can only suspect from observation that the exceptions were concentrating on something else. There was one guy riding most likely a Harley who nodded his head, almost like it was a chore, instead of waving. That's just fine as well.

Kids are the greatest. The neighbor kid shouted "cool helmet". Other kids ran to the sidewalk with eyes wide open in awe. Got to wave and recognize the kids. They may be thinking that we are fighting crime.

14. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Fuck Harleys. Fuck scooters. :flip: That's what they get.

And welcome to NJ.

15. renns

renns New Member

Great peom, Billy! And Randy - snubbed by a Vespa...that's gotta hurt. Or was the pilot holding her Starbucks at the time, and couldn't risk full bar release?

16. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    If I get the feeling like I am aboot to be snubbed I will wave like Big Gay Al on a Friday night just to throw them off a bit.

17. killer rabbit

killer rabbit New Member

All sport bikes wave, all Beemers wave, most wing-dingers wave, scooters don't wave, all trikes wave, HD rarely wave and when they do it is only so they don't want to look like a dickhead but never wave when they are with other HD as they would lose face when they pull over for another pitcher of beer. I don't wave on divided highways, curves, or busy city streets but always do out on country roads or in town on streets that are not busy. Oh, and I wave at anything with an engine and less than 4 wheels.

18. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? A brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

Those Honda guys are enough to make me sick. They have one called a “Dream” yea right. Well, they’re not getting a wave from me, Dream on that. Or the Goldwing. I have yet to see one made out of gold, and most of those riders are too old to wave back anyway, so no wave from me.

Those guys on ‘crotch rockets’ just scare me. I’m afraid if I wave at one, they might try to wave back, loose control, and involve me in some type of accident. Nope, not waving at those things.

What is up with a motorcycle with a side car? That's just silly. A motorcycle is meant to have TWO wheels, passengers sit behind the operator, not off in their own little world. Well, you can take it from me, they’re not getting from me when I pass.

And TRAILERS on motorcycle. I know God didn’t intend for motorcycles to haul trailers around so they’re not getting a wave from me.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the 405 parking lot.

And another thing. What is up with guys on blue motorcycles. They think they are so cool. Well, they’re not getting a wave from me I’ll tell you. Hate guys on Blue motorcycles. Hate, Hate, Hate.

That goes for those bright yellow motorcycles as well. What, they don’t think we pay them enough attention so they have to paint their bikes that bright color to stand out. Well you know what, I make a point of not waving to them either.

And Green bikes. Who in their right mind would paint a motorcycle Green. Well, I’m not waving at crazy people I tell you.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor, helmet stickers, racing gloves, and hiking boots.

Yeah, I don't wave at Yamahas either.

*On a serious note, I do wave to anyone as long as I feel is safe to do so.
    *re-post.

MrBikeyMcBikebike likes this.
  19. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You get passed by Harley guys? Oh the shame of it, hang your head Mofo....

JK ;)

20. Badbilly

United States
    Those dudes have some kind of hanky code they use. SOW probably can fill you in. Or wants to..