Right side exhaust only?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rockandride6, Sep 29, 2015.

1. rockandride6

rockandride6 New Member

This is a horribly dumb question, so I apologize.

Why would I only be getting exhaust through the ride side pipe? I have the fmf apex cans and just noticed (finally cold) that my right side can was the only one with exhaust coming out. Revving confirms this. Also, upon a closer look, the right can has significantly more soot in it? Is this normal? Am I crazy?

I apologize for not doing more research before posting but I'm about to embark on a long trip.

Bike is (from what I'm told) all stock minus fmf cans and a power commander 3. I build old cbs so I'm a bit out of my depth.

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    If you can, take a picture of the Y at the back of the cans. Make sure there us in fact a Y there. I know that 2 Bros had a setup called The Stash that was right exit only, but I thought they were the only ones. Next thing I would do is to take the cans off and see if there is a blockage.

edited for spelling correction

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. rockandride6

rockandride6 New Member

So I had to ride my bike to work yesterday, and sure enough when I got home the left side exhaust can was barely warm compared to the right side. The left side "arm" of the Y seemed warmer, though it was hard to tell. This isn't a great photo but below are two shots of the exhaust.

The left side can
    78D526F0-D912-4A01-90B7-EFCE174CF557_zpso9p5hzde.jpg

The Y
    3F2A25A6-D775-4C20-832F-9ACE62C83C67_zpsbfpohszh.jpg

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    It is just a poorly designed Ypipe. Honestly Splitting a pipe up to go to two separate straight through mufflers is a terrible idea and only there for aesthetics. You need two restrictive mufflers to be quiet while still flowing well. You do not need two straight through mufflers, though it would help if you were running the db inserts.... And this is why I have 2 bros ;)

5. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    My previous 6th gen had FMF Apex cans (that I bought and installed). The problem is indeed with the Y pipe...or in FMF's case a T pipe. The hole drilled in the side of the pipe for the T connection is actually smaller than the pipe that is welded to it, so all the exhaust takes the easy way out by going straight. It's just lazy workmanship. You could have an exhaust shop redo the connection to a true Y that evenly splits the flow, or just live with it like I did. Looks like you have them mounted backwards like I did with mine...looks way better than how they're meant to go on.

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

Also, CandyRed, the FMF's did not come with inserts or db killers of any kind, they are just straight through with lots of packing.

6. rockandride6

rockandride6 New Member

Thanks so much for your insight! Good to know. Out of curiosity, do you think there is a significant performance hindrance and/or longterm damage possibility with it as it is?

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    lol no its fine

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

From the looks of that wonderful piece of engineering, I don't think the second muffler was ever really intended to be truly active....hence the smaller hole.

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Just for looks

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Just wondering, did you just buy the bike? The reason I'm asking is did you just notice this or was it ever flowing threw both at one time...