Will different year forks fit the 1998-2001 Rc46?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Speedfreak14, Oct 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Speedfreak14

Speedfreak14 New Member

Some idiot pulled out in front of me and i hit him and my forks are all banged up. Hoping there not too much damage to where i can jus replace the forks. Will older forks work? Im guessing newer wont since newer viffers have different sized fork tubes. Will older ones still work?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The 5 Gen uses 41mm tubes so that might be a place to start looking however, the lower tubes have specific mounting locations for the linked braking system hardware, so be aware of that. If your lower tubes are still OK you can probably use the stanchion tubes from another bike with them thus retaining the mounting locations.

Otherwise if you go with a completely different set of forks, you will most likely have to do a de-linking of the linked braking system and that leads to all sorts of other fun stuff to deal with. Check eBay for the forks you need, I was able to pick up a pair of 5 Gen forks for around $200, you may get lucky and find some for even cheaper. Although not sure how badly your tubes got bent, if not too badly, you can get them straightened. I hope this is helpful.

3. Speedfreak14

Speedfreak14 New Member

Yea thanks for that info. Im trying to deal with the indurance first to see what they say abd then i will be able to rip it apart and look at the damage closer. Hopefully it is not that bad. I really loved this bike. Still do.

4. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    If you have ever considered a suspension upgrade, it would be a good time to send a message to member Jamie Daugherty... he may be able to straighten your tweaked forks, or he may have replacements available (example I sent mine to him for cartridge kit install, and he felt that my stanchions were too nicked up to reuse but sold me a used set he had on hand for a very reasonable amount).