First Oil Change

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by baker5, Oct 19, 2015.

1. baker5

baker5 New Member

Canada
    Hello,
    I'm attempting my first oil change on my Gen 8. I know there is a write up on this in the owners manual which I will follow but are there any handy tips anyone can pass on? I want to be very careful not to mark those nice fairings. I figure if I do it versus a shop I'll help to ensure this and save a few dollars.

Also, a couple of things. 1. Do the lower fairings lift out of the upper fairings easily at the clip/hinge location? 2. Regarding those four tabs at the bottom nose of the fairing, are they easy to press out an put back? They look very delicate.

Thanks.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I'll let someone else answer the fairing questions, just want to let you know getting the old filter off may be your biggest problem. The lower radiator doesn't swing out of the way very far. I had a problem with the old filter being over tightened, and all my wrenches slipped on the flat spots. Here is my solution:
    [​IMG]
    I drilled a couple holes in wrench and put two self tapping screws into filter. Came right off! Don't try and fight it, there is very little room to swing a tool.

3. baker5

baker5 New Member

Canada
    Thanks. I have the OEM filter socket. Hopefully this helps. Are you suggesting you have to disconnect the lower rad in some way to get access?

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just undo mounting bolts and swing back on the hoses, won't move far, but enough. Have large pan under bike as you have to tilt filter to get it out. A little simple green when you are all done will take care any oil on the pipes and cases.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Honda Rant - people complain about Ducati maintenance, but at least Ducati designs motorcycles that can be easily maintained. I never cuss when I change the oil on my 748, but changing the VFR's oil sometimes turns the air blue in my garage.

6. Abandoned Track

Abandoned Track New Member

United States
    Thanks for asking the stupid questions, I am right behind you on the 1st oil change. I will post anything I learn that is not covered here.
    That is a good tip on the oil filter wrench - I have the same issue on a different brand bike.

7. Pete47

Pete47 New Member

I'll be coming up on my first oil change as well so I thought I'd ask since it's sort of on the same topic. What's the preferred oil for the vfr? Conventional or synthetic? Also any recommendations on brand?

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's BEST to pre-fill the filter b4 mounting it up. A dry filter takes up to 1/2 quart +, and only a small amount will dribble out when you hold it horizontal. This prevents a few seconds running with zero oil pressure, hell on bearings.

9. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    Hello everyone from a new Canadian member/8th gen VFR800 owner!

I suppose I am reserecting and old thread, but perhaps there's some value in providing another noob some confidence! ;)

Just did the 1st oil change on my 2014 8th gen 800. The bike was bought new from a dealer 2 weeks ago and had just passed 500kms (300miles?) which is the indicated break in oil change interval. I had a Honda filter and some Amsoil synthetic on hand for the change. I removed the left side lower cowl (fairing in my mind) which was simple if you follow the owners manual. I snuck a filter wrench tool I had from my previous Honda OEM filter purchases in there to help loosen the filter. Let me say, you all are correct, I think the hulk himself had out that filter on. It required quite a lot of tourque to get it loose. I thouht the bike would fall over! Once the filter is off, easy peasy. My only concern was that I seemed to add almost 3.2-3.3 litres while the manual indicates 3.1 and the old in the windows is still below half of the "safe" zone. Hope I didn't add too much oil.

Also, although the break-in oil looked fine through the window, the oil that leaked out look like thick diesel fuel mixed with strong coffee. It was dark and cloudy. Not sure how normal this is. I didn't "baby" it during break in, but drove rather normally, if not slightly conservative for the last two weeks. I did a few hard launches up to fourth gear in the first few miles and then made sure I never sat in a gear at the same RPM for too long. I am assuming these are delivered to the dealer empty and that they don't fill them with oil until sale, but who knows.

Didn't have a chance to ride it last night but no leaks after running it and storing it in the garage overnight.

Remember, have fun, don't be afraid of maintenance and get out there and ride! :)

10. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Was the bike on the center stand, on level ground, or otherwise upright when you checked the level? (I am guessing that your service manual would state this like prior bikes.) You would otherwise overfill it if checking while on the sidestand.

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I let a dealer do the first oil change and I did the second one and put in a brand name synthetic. Getting the fairings off is easier than the 5th or sixth gens. My filter was not on tight and I was able to get it out from behind the headers without taking the radiator brace off. It absolutely can be done but it takes patience. I may not do it that way next time because I'm not known for patience. Overall, it's not a hard job, just a PIA. You will find that Mobil 1 will make your bike shift much smoother compared to dino and I've always been able to feel a slight HP increase with synthetic. I don't think dino oil is necessary to break a bike in nor does a bike need a break in period beyond reasonableness for the first 600 miles. That's just my free opinion. Also, the pins are not really delicate unless you're a gorilla.

12. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    Hi there!

Yes, bike was on the centre stand, however, the garage is not level. I put in about 2.8l and ran the bike for a minute then shut it off. Tried to manually level it and chekc the level and it was always sitting on the lowest end of the safe zone. So I added more and I'd say it's in the centre of the safe zone now and I feel we added at least 3.2 or 3.3l.

13. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    DriftingAlong, have you ever seen oil loss with Mobil 1 on your bikes? The reason I ask is that I have with my VTEC Celica and that seems to be a common thing with some of the Japanese car 4's, possibly the VTECs in particular.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Your fine. Ride it and have fun.

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    No. I use it in a Honda Civic and it uses zero oil. I've been using Mobil 1 for decades with no issues and I run the snot out of nearly everything I own. I'm not a brand loyal person but Mobil 1 seems to have something for everything I've ever owned so I just keep it simple and buy it.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Knight is talking shit again.. This dude spends 100 pesos an hour for his "mechanic" to change his oil so he won't get dirty. Following wrenching advice from a dude that doesn't wrench anything is a fools errand.

Been running Shell Rotella T in my 25 year old VFR for years. Never a problem.

A little investment to save a bunch of pesos down the line is a Scotts oil filter. All stainless steel including the seal. Just wash it and it's good to go. Been on my VFR aboot 15 years. Never a problem.

They throw in a nifty strap wrench to remove and re-install it too.

17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you want maximum engine life, get into the habit of pre-filling the filter element with as much as 2/3 quart of oil. Slight spillage as it goes on won't be a big problem. Without this step the main and rod bearings run almost dry for several (up to 15) seconds before full pressure is built up.

18. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice idea about the pre-filling. I've got a new filter waiting to be installed and I'll try it.
    On the other comments in the thread - the filter itself is hard to get unscrewed with poor access around it. I use channel locks and crush the old one unmercifully to get a good grip. It's not a pretty operation, but I'm throwing it away so who cares?

19. Badbilly

United States
    Checking the oil level via sight gauge or dipstick after a change of oil and filter without running the bike or as SQman sez prefilling the filter, is not going to be accurate.

Knat needs to check his dipstick.

20. Badbilly

United States
    For fairing removal on a "gen" 8, best to get info from an owner. Fairings on VFRs go back to the mid-1980s and there are many differences in the way they are mounted.