Honda to make a new road going v4

Discussion in 'VFR in the News' started by Thumbs, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Motorcycle News in the UK published details today of an all new bike Honda will make if "the RCV sells many, many machines"

The announcement has followed after Honda published 5 new patents for a road bike that's based on the RCV, the engine will be a 1000cc V4, with a cast rear subframe, cast swing arm pivots and headstock, thus making the engine the widest part of the bike

Honda have provisionally allocated the name RVF, a trademark which they have jealousy guarded but never used in Europe and which they have applied for new rights to in Australia, if production goes ahead the first models will be on show at the end of next year

Whilst not actually saying this will replace the Fireblade, 'inside sources' are saying there are no development plans for the 'Blade after 2017

So it looks like Honda have finally accepted what WSB and BSB have already proven, the Fireblade has had it's day, they feature no higher than 6th and that's riding the thing beyond it's limits

The image shows a basic layout, the rear subframe and the front end view .... I'm already saving for one:glee:

[​IMG]

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    That is the best news out of Honda since 2008.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    That article gave me wood. Looks like they are thinking ahead.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's rumored that this is the bike they plan to give Hayden for 2017, but who knows?! Sounds reasonable though, considering the article mentions lack of further development of the Fire Blade (CBR). I always thought it very odd that Honda stopped making V4 racers for public consumption, yet their MotoGP racers have all been V4 motors for many years now. Maybe they don't want the competition going out an buying one and gain secrets? I mean would you grab a Fire Blade (CBR) to see what Honda is doing? :wink:

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Honda is good at teasing us, this has been going on now for what a good 8-10 years, that said, I believe in there's hope. So now lets see what comes of this. Heaven knows I'm all about it.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well if it does come to fruition, I know there will be a 5 or 6 Gen going up for sale. Well taken care of and both with some decent mods too! It will be bitter sweet, that's for sure.

8. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Glad you wrote "If it comes to fruition" Daryl, cause you know with our luck, Honda will produce this awesome bike and then only sell it in Europe:mad:
    John

9. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Or price it where impractical for us to own.

10. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Either that, or we'll get a version with 70hp and no access to the go fast doo-dads.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Have faith. I think the longer the sleeping giant takes the bigger the eventual hay maker they will swing and be way ahead again. Reading about how the frame has no welds and is one piece cast aluminum using true engine as a stress member of the frame is very interesting. They must have been watching Ducati and in typical Japanese fashion taking someone's basic design and making it smaller, lighter and cheaper to manufacture. More patents too. If they can deliver a 2017 RVF 1000 weighing about 430lbs with 180 hp sub $19k full electronics and decent suspension all will be forgiven.

James Bond likes this.
  12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

This will excellent fairy godmother (ha ha). Faith,.....well, will keep my fingers crossed. I do appreciate your optimism.
    John

13. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Sad to say, Honda has let me down for so many years that I have little faith in them ever delivering something remotely of what we are asking for. Say what you want to about BMW, but they listen to what a rider needs much more so than Honda. Honda has the engineering, they have the knowledge, and they have the resources, but for some reason, they just don't have the desire. I have been trying to figure it out for years. One could say they spend too much time on cars, jets, robots, that motorcycles have lower margins, however, BMW and others seem to manage just fine. Honda....

[​IMG]

Glenngt750 likes this.
  14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    about. freaking. time

16. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    "...If we get many, many orders for the RC213V-S then perhaps we can look at a cheaper version that could sit between the Fireblade and the RC213V-S.”

I assume that means not only performance but price. I get a sinking feeling that "between the Fireblade and the RC213V-S" still means most won't be able to comfortably afford one.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with Gator, maybe I should hold off getting to crazy with the 5th...... if one looks at the Aprilia RSV4 sales, there's room to go one better at a price that works, if it wasn't for this 5th gen falling into my lap as it did, i was close to pulling the trigger on the Tuono version. but a Honda would be so much preferred.

18. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    So if I shoot you in the balls and steal your VFR you should feel lucky then?

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Or, you could just buy the Ducati Panigale 1299 for that today and have 25 extra horsepower. I've ridden it and it's a great bike. When I was going down the freeway I was going 75mh in 4th gear and the Duc was barely breathing. It's wicked fast. Why buy an imitation, if that truly is what Honda is doing?

I want Honda to innovate, not imitate. Look at the Honda Crosstour, the Porsche Panamera ripoff. Porsche innovated, Honda imitated, poorly! I've seen this time and again with the Japanese brands, especially in cars. I want Honda to go back to it's leadership position of lore.

20. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]