Supermoto Build

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NorcalBoy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I fully understand that this a VFR site, but I wanted to post up a thread on my latest Honda build. I posted some one off pics of the build progress in the "What Did You Do To Your VFR" thread and a couple people were interested, so here goes....

I bought the bike from a teenager in the Santa Cruz mountains 3 or 4 years ago. It was a 2006 CRF450X that looked to be in very used condition, but it came with the mythical CA license plate with the correct VIN and title that could not be revoked. It had to be bump started when I went to look at it...battery was dead, finally got it started and it ran, sort of, but didn't make any of the noises that usually indicate serious problems. I made an offer $1200, kid wanted $3,000, it was refused, and I drove away......kid calls me on the phone 20 minutes later and ten miles down the road to say he reconsidered and that he would take my offer. I turned around, paid him and threw it in the back of my truck. Prolly should have just kept driving.....

My intent was to just clean it up, make a few ergonomic and cosmetic changes and ride it out on the backroads of the California Coast, Skaggs Springs Road, mainly.

Well, I got it home and started tearing it down and realized what I had gotten myself into...the thing was worse than I had thought.....This wasn't gonna be quick and it certainly wasn't gonna be cheap. Most of the threads in the aluminum frame were crossthreaded, or non existent, and some even had imperial bolts, that had cut their own threads.....I pulled the carb and exhaust off and realized that the young lad had done some DIY port work on the head.....the intake tract was ruined, but it was cetainly polished to a mirror like finish....the exhaust studs were stripped out......the inside of the carb was filthy...basically the top end was destroyed and would have to be replaced. At this point, I realized that it was going to be all or nothing......I could throw away $1200, or I could sell the thing as parts and with the plate, maybe get most of my money back....I decided I would fix it up....stupid decision.

The more I tore it down, the more I realized how fucked up it really was.......as well as, how fucked up I was to have bought such a mess.....everything had some type of flaw or injury that would preclude me from ever bolting it back on the frame.....after 3 days of teardown, I was left with the bottom end cases, some of the transmission, the main frame, forks and shock. The forks and shock were toast, but I had the cores. The rest I gave away to the elderly hispanic guy in my neighborhood who collected aluminum for recycling...Not a great start.

I sold the existing supermoto wheels on Ebay in a couple days and started putting a list together of what it was going to take to rebuild it into something respectable....I felt really bad for the bike and how it had been treated. So I got started.

I don't have many pics of the bike originally, but this should explain some of it:

xyz1.jpg

xyz6.jpg

I started by having the frame checked to make sure it wasn't bent, then I TIG welded all of the stripped and rounded out areas of the frame and re-drilling the holes and re-tapping them all for stainless helicoils. I did some light die grinding on the inside of the headstock so that a punch could easily knock the bearing races out in the future. For some of the smaller holes, I installed metric stainless nut certs. After fixing all of that, I sent it to a powdercoater and had it pc'd metallic aluminum.

This is how it turned out:

Frame 002.jpg

Next, I proceeded to have the suspension components evaluated and put a budget together to have everything refurbished by Mike Battista at MB-1 Racing in Corona, CA. Mike Battista has many years as a factory Honda Showa suspension guy who has been the suspension tech for guys like Ricky Carmichael and Ben Bostrom when they were at Honda. He also knows quite a bit about supermoto suspension and has access to stuff from Japan that can be hard for the average guy to get.

I wanted to run a true radial front brake caliper and 320mm rotor so I hunted around for a couple weeks until I located a leftover Extreme Riders radial lower fork lug at Race Tech, also in Corona, CA. I paid the man on the phone $550 and had him set aside the radial lug for me to come pick up.

It was settled...A week later, I swung by Race Tech, grabbed the fork lug and then continued on to MB-1 to drop off the components at Mike's shop. Approximately three weeks later I got a call from Mike's wife telling me that he had completed the suspension.....I grimaced as I asked what the final damage was.....I didn't feel too bad after she told me I would still have two nuts left.

Here is the final invoice, not counting the two new lower fork tubes I had to buy because the originals were nicked up and scratched......

SheldrakeRedacted-page-001.jpg

SheldrakeRedacted-page-002.jpg

Instead of explaining everything that got done to the fork and shock, it's easier to just put up a redacted invoice.....let's just say they are very close to Showa A Kit components internally. Basically, the only original parts left are the upper fork tubes and the shock body....not too bad, full factory components for $2700.

After picking them up, they looked like this:

Showa Works Kitted Forks 011.jpg

Showa Works Kitted Forks 012.jpg

I will continue on with the next installment tomorrow.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well at least you know why the kid called you back and took your $1200! Looking forward to seeing more of the build.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This will either end up as one of those "Emptor futui " deals or a long story aboot the second coming, Norcalboy style.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Glad to see it's pissing you off already, it makes me happy.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After getting the frame and the suspension done, I started the process of determining what I wanted to do to the engine and ECU part of things.

I started off by ditching the 450X model cylinder and head that were ruined in the name of progress. I went with a cylinder and head from a 450R. Using this combination eliminates the air injection pump and all of the associated plumbing. My engine guy just happened to have a 2006 450R head that he had started working on and never finished....so I bought that head and a new 450R cylinder from Service Honda.

I wanted to be able to use pump gas as the fuel, so the components have to be matched to get the most torque and HP without detonation.

I decided to go with a CP piston with a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The piston dome was reworked and coated with a ceramic thermal barrier and the skirts were slightly modified and they got coated with a lubricity coating. the coating work was done by Embee Performance in SoCal. The piston was lightened slightly and balanced after the coating was done.

Before:

unworked piston.jpg

After:

CP jewelry.jpg

The combustion chamber on the head was modified to unshroud the valves and copper berilium valve seats were pressed in to replace the stock material. I also went with Faction stainless steel valves. I like the Faction valves because they come with undercut stems and are nitrided. I used Faction stainless valve springs which are heat treated and stress relieved. They were installed with titanium retainers and special seats that were machined by my engine builder to help with controlling reversion and chamber sealing.

Faction full kit.jpg

A DLC coated piston pin was selected to finish off the top end bits

DLC Piston Pin 002.jpg

The cylinder combustion chamber was reworked and coated with a cermaic thermal barrier and the intake and exhaust tracts were reworked with the exhaust tract also getting a ceramic thermal barrier coating. This coating was also done by Embee Performance.

HeadCchamber.jpg

HeadEPort.jpg

For the bottom end, a Falicon Super Crank was purchased. I also purchased an adjustable cam gear from Falicon so that the cam could be timed to get the best mid to top power. Ceramic bearings were used for the crank main bearings and for the small end bearing.

A complete DP clutch kit was used, as was a Factory Pro shift kit with shift star and detent arm. The rest of the stuff inside the cases, seals, gears, etc. was replaced with OEM Honda stuff and all of the metal pieces were cryogenically treated by 300 Below Inc. out of Decatur, IL.

DP Clutch.jpg

All of the engine cases were soda blasted, surfaces matched, and then dipped prior to assembly. The cylinder was decked slightly and the bore was checked to verify roundness and the assembly started. The exterior engine caes were sent to a powdercoater to have them coated white, like the HRC kit cases for the CRF250R. A Splitstream high volume water pump impeller and spacer were added to the new water pump to increase the cooling capacity and keep the temps under control. Ti Case bolts from ProBolt were used for the water pump housing.

New Bits 012.jpg

After the cam was degreed, the cam gear carrier was tack welded to the camshaft to ensure that the timing couldn't slip and allow the valves to have interference with the piston.......

IMAG0016.jpg

The engine was assembled with stainless tapered socket head bolts from ProBolt for the center case bolts.

Crankcase bolts.jpg

A Ricky Stator 110 watt stator and RR were installed to handle the electrical needs.

A Vortex Digital Programmable ECU with a handlebar mounted switch for selecting between 2 maps will handle the ignition mapping.

Airbox Boot 003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I went to Chris Parker of CPR Fabrication in Costa Mesa, CA to get a set of his "bullet proofed" (All seams TIG welded for strength) radiators and integrated oil cooler kit. Chris is an amazing fabricator and all around good guy. He is also the guy behind all the Pibull components for KTM's.

The kit consistes of the radiators, a specially modified left side case and the connecting hoses. It's a super clean setup. This also helps increase the oil capacity over stock, which is an added benefit to cooler oil temps.

Oil Cooler Rads 001.jpg

I had the kit sidecase powdercoated white to match.

I also had Chris help me out with an aux fan mount for the right radiator. I'm using a slightly larger IMS tank and the tank shape encroached on the area where the stock fan mounts were located, so the stock mounts were removed and this mount was added to lower the fan so everything would fit.

fan2.jpg

Chris also machined the Hammerhead case guard to accept a 15 tooth front sprocket

caseguard3.jpg

A RevMX oil filter cover and Scott's stainless oil filter were added with STM engine plugs and a 510 Racing dipstick. A Tokyo Mods manual cam chain tensioner was also used.

the build 004.jpg

The Rocker Cover was pc'd black and I sourced a set of Ti rocker cover bolts from Mettec in Carson City, NV.

PC'd Rocker Cover 003.jpg

This is the finished engine, mounted in the frame, from the left side:

PB070048.jpg

That's a lot for now, I will post up some more later.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  7. Badbilly

United States

How could anyone get pissed off at some dude that buys a POS and starts dumping money into it. If there were any emotion there at all it might be one of those WTF moments.

Do we detect maybe a few pesos spent in anger management therapy or have you discovered that app that sends subscribers three accolades a week?

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There is more of your life I have taken from you that you will never get back. thank you for the donation.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Not to worry, I can afford to give to the psychologically needy.

I am reminded of a day I was looking at one of the HD hardback catalogs in which one could assemble an entire bike including farkles for aboot ten times the price of a new HD..

If there is to be a cost analysis, be sure and include the shipping costs of all this stuff you are buying and sending off to be modified by the real pros.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After getting the engine assembled and installed in the frame, it was time to deal with the airbox and how to get the fuel to it.

I went to Service Honda and got a 2008 Keihin FCR as the base platform. The carb was broken down and the following bits and pieces were added:

R&D Power Pump 2 Accelerator Pump Cover W/Adjustable Leak Jet
    Athena Dual Spray Venturi Jet Kit
    JD Jet Kit W/Red Needle
    R&D Flex Jet Fuel Screw
    50 Pilot Jet
    172 main Jet
    Tokyo Mods Carb Vent Kit
    Stainless Socket Cap Body Screws
    Zip Ty Racing Magnetic Float Bowl Nut

[​IMG]

The carb was installed with Motion Pro Cables, a new OEM throttle assembly with billet aluminum throttle tube and Tokyo Mods cable separators

[​IMG]

PB070043.jpg

I located the HRC competition modification bulletin for the airbox, sourced a new airbox from Service Honda and went about doing the airbox mod.

HRCAirbox.jpg

I used a heated exacto knife to cut the plastic. Initially it looks a little rough, but with a little effort I got it all cleaned up and it turned out pretty decent.

Stock airbox:

Airbox Step 1.jpg

Stage 1:

Airbox Step 2.jpg

Step 3:

Airbox step 3.jpg

Final:

Airbox Final B.jpg

Next I went about modifying a new airboot for the box. The stock box has a tube from the crankcase and rocker cover breathers that penetrates the box and dumps the hot oil mist into the box. I didn't want this oily hot air being dumped into the airbox, for obvious reasons. So I removed the piece of rubber from inside the air boot and cleaned it up so that there were no interferences inside the boot. I also used an Applied Racing Block off kit to plug the remaining holes that used to be part of the air pump (emissions) setup.

Before:

Airbox Boot 001.jpg

After:

Airbox Boot 002.jpg

Airbox Final C.jpg

I sourced a Twin Air filter kit. This kit eliminates the backfire screen typically mounted in the airbox and gets rid of the intake tract obstruction associated with the stock screen. The filter is flameproof so it won't ignite if there is a backfire. It also comes with a billet cage and mounting bolt. Although the flow increase is probably minimal, every little bit helps.

[​IMG]

Because the original subframe was slightly bent, I went to Service Honda and got a new one and had it pc'd to match the frame. I went to ProBolt to get Ti mounting bolts to finish it off.

PB070050.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Ah, the internet. Where losers come to bark and shake a fist at those that can and do. Enjoy the show, there's a lot more to come!

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    All I can say is WOW, very detailed build. Can't wait ta see the finished bike.
    Great thread Norcaldude

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thanks, Duccman!

14. Badbilly

United States
    We know you're just chewing at the bit to tell everyone how much this bike is going to cost. A real fast guy would dump a whole bunch of useless farkles on a bike like that and race it rather than a platform to impress the other dudes in the stands between heats.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Thanks BB..

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Keep trying, pathetic loser. Hope you like the rest of my thread!

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    What are the HP and torque #'s you expect? And how much does she weigh? I'm really interested in the power to weight ratio, looking to be a blast. Have you ever seen an EFI job done on one?

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After finishing the basic engine, carb, and airbox install, started working on assembling the front end

I went with Applied Racing R/S triple clamps to hold the forks. These are 22mm offset. I have a set of 14mm offset RWS clamps, but they make the front end sketchy at higher speeds and are best suited to very tight cornering with lower speeds. As the bike is going to see some around town, I went with the Applied clamps first.

These clamps also come with the appropriate adapters to be able mount the stock headlight shell. I had the mounts pc'd white and went to Mettec for the Ti clamp and headlight mounting bolts and the mounting hardware for the front fender is aluminum stuff that came from ProBolt.

Headstock 002.jpg

TiMount.jpg

The front fender is a supermoto fender from UFO tipped with custom graphics from DeCal Works

HIDFull.jpg

The headlight is an HID kit from Ricky Stator and was retrofitted to the stock headlight shell with Ti hardware from ProBolt

HIDBack.jpg

HIDFront.jpg

I went to Highway Dirt Bikes for a customized top clamp that also has two integrated toggle switches that can control up to four electrical functions. I will only be using two, one for the aux fan and one for the HID headlight. I used ProBolt stainless tapered socket cap bolts for the clamp and used Ti for computer mount.

Clamp2.jpg

I also added their billet Vapor computer mount and had the top clamp and the computer mount anodized black.

I went with Pro Taper Evo bars and clutch perch. The hand guards are from Cycra Racing. The stock res isn't capable of handling a four piston caliper, so I went with a Brembo RCS15 front master with a Rizoma res.

Brembo and Rizoma Master.jpg

A custom brake line was made up by my friends over at HEL USA

For the caliper I contacted my friend Davide at 1 Moto Shop. He is the direct US importer for GoldFren brake products and they make a caliper that is specially designed to be used on supermoto bikes with spoke wheels. Davide is a really nice guy and helped to get the caliper ordered from Europe. I ordered the caliper with Ti pistons, black anodizing and blue piston caps.

GoldFrenBlack.jpg

I milled 2mm extra off the back of the caliper to give a little more spoke clearance. I also spun up some caliper spacers so that the caliper would work with a 320mm rotor and had them anodized blue with ProBolt stainless tapered cap bolts for mounting.

I ran into a problem with the radial caliper mount when I was mocking up the caliper....the aluminum threads on the caliper lug didn't give me a warm fuzzy....so I drilled out the caliper lug and installed stainless Helicoils to give everything a nice solid purchase.

[​IMG]

I bought a set of Excel wheels from Dubya, the front is a 3.5" x 17" with black pitbull stainless spokes, red spline drive nipples and a black Excel rim with a mag colored Talon hub.

Front Wheel 003.jpg

The EBC 320mm rotor was sent to my buddies at Quality Machine in Savannah, Georgia to be lightened. The rotor was inspected and then put on a CNC machine to have the new pattern cut and all excess weight removed.

[​IMG]

The rotor was mounted with ti rotor bolts from Mettec that are made specifically for the Talon hubs. One of the rotor bolts was machined to accept the speedo sensor pickup for the vapor computer.

TiRotorBoltWmag.jpg

This is the completed front wheel assembly with RhinoMoto axle sliders and a Mettec Ti axle nut. The pinch bolts and lower fork guard mounting bolts are Ti and the lower fork guards have custom graphics by DeCal works. The tire has been switched to the latest Contiforce Attack supermoto tire.

PB070045.jpg

I don't like the way the banjo bolt with the bleeder sticks out so far, so I have ordered matching Ti banjo bolts for the front and rear from ProBolt.

Attached Files:

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah, there are a lot of the newer CRF's, KXF's, RMZ's, KTM's being converted. They all have EFI.

No expectation of HP numbers, I guess they will end up being whatever they are. I have a rough idea, but it would be purely unproven speculation at this point. Most are used to hearing Dynojet numbers, which are questionable at best. Kinda like 108 HP VFR's with a slip on, PC and an air filter that pop up on this site every now and then, along with the associated nonsense that seems to follow from the resident experts. This one will eventually see a Factory Pro ECC997 and the final tuning will be done by them as well.

I will get it weighed when it's completely assembled......it still isn't completely assembled. I have some wiring harness fabrication that needs to get done, but I have ordered all the wire, connectors, and terminals and a new crimping tool to do the sealed connectors from Japan. Hoping to get the wiring harness done over Thanksgiving weekend.

It was built to be ridden on the street, so I don't expect any sub 220# readings. If I was going to do one for the track it wouldn't have a bigger tank, headlight assembly, electric start, battery, aux fan, etc. I'm pretty sure I could get one down into the sub 220# range with track only focus. My speculation is that the end product will be more than respectable for what it is.

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    220lbs would be nice with even a stock motor. Do you know the angle of the stock tripple? That bike turns so quick already the longer one your using seems like it would help with speed stability and still have very quick steering. Going to add a Scott's or Ohlin steering damper? There are 2 brothers from NC that I have tracked with several times at Jennings in n florida that have DRZ 400's built to the hilt. Jennings is a tighter technical track and they rail those bikes much faster than most of us on 1k's. Blast past them on the front straight and back kinked straight and a few turns later there getting close again. Loos like so much fun. You might not be doing 3rd gear power wheelies at 130mph coming out of a big sweeper but oh man tossing a Tard into a corner must be joy. One of these days I want to do one.