Maximum Mechanical Lean Angle

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by PawnBoy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Anyone know any real numbers on what angles the 6th Gen (or any other Gen too, just make sure to specify) can attain before scraping peg feelers or any other hard bits?

Also, I've seen some similar threads on other forums where this turns into a kind of flame war, warning that lean angles vary with conditions, the lean angle doesn't tell the whole story, "don't ever try this on the road!", etc, etc. These threads are also often very light on actual information. I'm fully aware of any risks trying to get there, I understand there's more to cornering that just leaning over. I still want cold hard numbers, numbers I can't seem to find. I know peg feelers get scraped, I'm mostly curious what angle the bike is leaned over at when it happens. And I'm also aware that the lean angle changes with compression of the suspension, which will vary with rider weight, and cornering force will vary with how far you hang off, etc, etc.

Regardless of all the above, does anyone have any numbers, figures, specifications, measurements, ANYTHING?

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    This is a really difficult question to answer because of what you mentioned already; suspension compression, rider weight, etc. But also with tire selection. Depending on the profile of the tire you can gain or lose another few degrees. The best way that I can think to determine your max lean angle would be to get a really clean picture of your bike straight up from the front with you sitting on it. Then on a photo editor like GIMP or Photoshop draw a 90 degree angle through the center of the bike perpendicular to the ground. Then draw a line from the contact patch of the tire to the bottom of the footpeg feeler. That would give you a reference point.

I'm betting that you would max angle of 35. That's not rider skill or anything, just an arbitrary number representing the distance from level ground to the feelers.

3. SCguy

SCguy New Member

United States
    Like you said, there's many variables. I can add, however, that after peg feelers scrape, the center stand is next.

[​IMG]

4. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Tried rotating a stock image, accounting for some suspension compression, thought it might give a good ballpark, but 51' seems pretty high.
    Angle.jpg

Took the pic from SCguy and reverse rotated it (I accounted for what appeared to be a slight angle to the asphalt), and got a much lower 41'
    Angle2.jpg

I mean, I assume it's somewhere around 45'...

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map

Expanding marriedman's solution, have friends grab handlebars & passenger grabs, tilt the bike until you tell them that the peg is touching. Take pic #2. Buy friends pizza for not dumping it.

I would do this but I have no friends.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There's an APP for that! Seriously, I downloaded a Pirelli app that allows you keep track of your riding one of the tracked parameters is lean angle. I keep forgetting to set it up before I take off, in fact I forgot I even have it! Of course you would need a phone mount and have to calibrate the static position but it might be something to look at.

7. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, there's a pile of salt and snow outside my window... If you wouldn't mind just figuring that out and reporting back, that would be greeaaat. :tongue-new: Isn't that a good enough excuse to go for a spirited ride?

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What if the stock peg feelers have been replaced with a set from a Harley Botique. They have some that are 18", made of mag alloy so the harleydoods can throw up a shower of sparks leaving HOG meets.

The true lean angle is 90 degrees. Not a great idea but it can be done.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well if you're issuing a challenge, I may just have to take it on! :wink: In all honesty, hopefully I can get in a ride this holiday weekend, well other than the short ride to Malibu I'm taking with the wife (re: No maximum lean angle), as family obligations will take precedence! If not this weekend, the next time I get a chance to do some canyon riding, I'll be sure to setup the app!

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I think you need one of these in your house for winter time...

[​IMG]

This machine was at the California Super Bike School booth at the IMS show this past weekend. I had a chance to sit on top of it and it's pretty cool. It uses hydraulics to lift and lean the "bike" giving you the ability to practice your body English. When you put pressure on the bars, as you would when you want to turn, the bike leans in that direction. When applying the brakes, the rear end raises up! A safe way to practice a stoppie! I was wondering when someone would build something like this, what a great teaching tool!

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know anything about angles, really for our bike. I have a 6th Gen and AI am also running PR4 tires. Prior to the track day I did Feb of this year, I got into communication with Michelin regarding the max lean angle of their tires. They said;

I was able to get to or beyond the edge of the rear and to the edge of the front at the track. I also discovered later that I was scraping the exhaust on the right side of the bike. http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/49649-Scraaaape!?highlight=

[​IMG]

So I guess that through my observations, it appears that the bike is capable of at least 47 degrees, or thereabouts. I also was scraping my toe sliders.

15. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I am laughing out loud right now where I sit.

Years ago we wrote an app to report the numbers from the cell phone's gyroscope. We sold it as a mechanism to broadly test your gyro if games didn't seem to be working right. LOL we should repaint the interface and sell it to motorcyclists. What do you think, would we sell a lean angle app to every motorcyclist for 99 cents?

:eagerness:

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Probably, or close to. If I had a phone holder, I would. I still may when I get one, which I not only want, but need.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Not the best body positioning, but I've improved since this. But, this will give you another visual of the bike's capability.

[​IMG]

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Brand it with the VFRWorld Logo and donate a portion of the sales to the web site and I'm sure you'd have plenty of members here buy it!

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Riding is like sex, you gotta trust the rubber.

Front 1.jpg Front 2.jpg Rear 1.jpg

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    ditch the center stand and peg feelers. raise the rear an inch and fit a proper suspension, youll have more lean angle than you know what to do with :)