New fuel pump = power?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by THRASHED, Nov 25, 2015.

1. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently replaced the pump on my 87 700. I am curious if I am seeing a power increase? I'm not sure if this is even possible. The bike seemed to be running fine before and from what I know of mechanics it doesn't seem possible, but I'd swear it runs better. It didn't seem like it was starving for fuel before but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

2. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

I "rebuilt" the one on my 86 with the kit from K&L and I noticed a little gain when put it on my Butt-Dyno as well. After all these years, they're probably just stoked to get some new parts once in a while.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    So why did u replace the pump if the bike seemed to run fine ?? I think your butt dyno is imagining things.

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    EFI pumps have an entire range of requirements different from pumps that supply carbs. The average pump for VF/VFR carbs will easily supply about ten times the amount of fuel necessary for good running even at top speed.

6. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    When I left the fuel on with the old pump I had a leak just from the static pressure from the tank. If I turned the fuel off when I parked it, it was fine and did not leak when it was running. A couple of weeks ago, when leaving work, I noticed that there were a few drips even when the bike was idling....not good. Remember, this was the bike that sat for 19 years covered in a garage, the replacement was not surprise, I just held off as long as I could.

RotaryRocketeer: Though it's too late for me, I'm interested in this "rebuild". The halves were crimped together so I assumed a rebuild was not possible.

7. RotaryRocketeer

It wasn't a full rebuild kit, but that's what the vendor calls it. It's really just a replacement for the contacts on top and the little bracket that they sit on. Just a bit of solder and they're easily replaced.

8. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    So, it was an issue with it not running, not a leak like I was experiencing?

9. RotaryRocketeer

It was running intermittently. One of the contacts was pushing itself over to the side and not getting close enough to the other to spark. I got tired of having to pull over and take off the cover and hit it with a screwdriver handle. I didn't see the post where you said yours was leaking, so my input doesn't really apply. :topsy_turvy: Bad diaphragm I'm guessing...