1986 VF500 Interceptor

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by trappg, Nov 29, 2015.

1. trappg

trappg New Member

Joined the forum to get opinions on this bike. I am considering it for a project bike but it's been parked for 15 years. It's been stored indoors - the tank is in good shape but all rubber and hydro lines appear to need attention. None of the hydraulics work - levers just go all the way to handlebars. This is a friends bike and I trust him when he says it was ridable when he parked it in 2000 so I know engine and tranny work. I hooked a battery to it and all electronics came up and engine turned over. It has 29,000 miles. Should I tackle this project? Carbs seem to be frozen. Are parts available? Any comments, good or bad are appreciated.

Gary

Attached Files:

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    What's he asking for it? That's the big question.

3. trappg

trappg New Member

The price is right. But if I have to spend hours to find parts and spend a grand to get it running, it may not be worth anything more than parting it out.

Gary

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Understand ... but what's the asking price? LOL

Parts shouldn't be too big a deal.

5. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Parts are easy to get, a lot of small parts are still used on new(er) bikes. I found a set of carbs that had been completely rebuilt for $285 on E-Bay. Now granted I started with a $400 1/2 torn down bike but the fun was hunting down parts and rebuilding it. By the time I was done I had around $1600cdn into the bike but was apprised at $2800cdn. Looking at your pictures you shouldn't have to put a lot of money into it to get it running again.

If you need the carbs rebuilt a few people on this site can do that for you.

6. atx

atx New Member

United States
    I say do it, i've been tinkering with my uncle's 86 vfr700 that hasn't been started in over 5 years and hearing it crank up was amazing.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    At the least do a compression test b4 handing over $$$$.

8. trappg

trappg New Member

I pulled the tank off last night and tinkered with the carbs but not without spraying some carb cleaner in and pushing the start button. Even with the carbs locked up nearly solid, she still fired over and ran for a couple seconds. That was promising news. Thanks for the input guys. I'm am wondering about some of the hoses that are on longer available. Seems most all rubber hoses like hydraulic lines and water hoses are obsolete. Are folks just retrofitting stuff or maybe some aftermarket suppliers are out there?

9. Addy

Addy New Member

Most of the rubber components will be shagged out, if it's got the original o ring chain on it, sling that in the bin too.

I did a partial restoration of my dad's 86 500F2 that had been sat 18 years, the carb inlet rubbers perish, hoses both water and brake lines, the clutch line was ok, but the slave piston was seized
    Even the handlebars grips began to breakup once i got it on the road and had to be replaced.
    The rubber orings in the drive chain perished too, and i had to replace the chain within a 1000miles of use.

I would also replace the float valves in the carbs as these perish and leak too.
    The brake pistons were gone, along with the seals, carbs are very delicate too, if you dismantle them, the rubber sealing o-rings will not reseal, and they are really odd ball sizes, that Honda only seem to use, so you are in to much expense to replace these.

You do get there eventually, mine needs a new rear shock and took mine on a trip to Northern Ireland last year, and i'm planning on taking mine with friends on modern bikes to the MotoGP in Assen, Holland in June.

Good reliable little bikes when you've gone through them.

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Look on Partzilla.com for rubber parts. I replaced just about every rubber part this summer on my '83 750, all Honda OEM!

11. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    The thing is you are not polishing a turd. We are all probably a bit biased on here but the VF500 is a bit of a gem. If you are going to restore a UJM, the VF500 makes a really good choice.
    And yeah, you can get parts on Ebay.