Drilling 5th Gen (2000 VFR800) muffler

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by BoulderRider, Nov 29, 2015.

1. BoulderRider

BoulderRider New Member

I haven't found a discussion around this topic, specifically, so I thought I should through it out there: I would love to have a deeper sounding exhaust. I'm not really interested more volume, although a little bit louder would not bother me. So I am considering drilling the rear cap of the OE Muffler, around the perimeter of the exhaust tube, between the conical trim cap and the tube, with a series of small diameter holes (3/16"). I'm considering drilling about 12-14 holes around the perimeter. Has anyone ever done this mod. Any feedback from someone who has actually done it will be appreciated very much.

I'm aware that I might not like the results, in which case I will buy the aftermarket muffler that I have my eyes on: Honda VFR800F INTERCEPTOR (1997-2002) DL10 Stubby 14" Carbon Fiber Round Muffler, with the high-mount mid-pipe- I would love any feedback from forum members who have this muffler installed.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sure... Drill your holes then tap them.

3. nski

nski New Member

If the muffler is built anything like the second gen pipe you can (this is what I did) cut 11/4 inch off the end of the barrel with a die grinder. Inside will be a baffle with two pipes, break the spot welds and pull out the baffle leaving one pipe. To install the end back on just cut the outer barrel ring of the end, dressup the muffler slid the end inside, drill holes for the rivets and your done. Pipe is done and only 11/4 inch shorter, but a little better sounding.

4. BoulderRider

BoulderRider New Member

Does anyone have a Delkevic High-Mount DL10-14" muffler mounted on a VFR800Fi 2000, Gen 5? I'm curious about fitment, sound quality, and how loud it is. Thx