Just bought a 2006 VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by davidgerrit93, Dec 22, 2015.

1. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

FullSizeRender.jpg

Just bought an 06 VFR. What all should I know and what should I upgrade and modify?

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome and nice bike! Looks a lot like my last 6th gen.

Here's the things to check:

1. Check the Stator / RR / Battery connectors and wires.
    1a. Solder stator directly to the the RR.
    1b. Solder RR directly to the battery (or at least use high quality soldered connectors and di-electric grease)
    1c. (optional) run a set of redundant wires from the r/r to the battery.

2. Check the wire and connector under the seat that attaches to the main fuse. It's often undersized and gets very crispy. Replace it.

3. Install a voltage gauge as a precautionary measure. If the stator or r/r start failing, you'll know almost immediately.

The charging system is the weakest link in this bike, but if you look it over carefully and do a little work up front, it should be relatively trouble free.

Modify? Nothing is necessary to modify on this bike (other than the stuff listed above) - that and there really aren't many mods / upgrades to buy for this bike.

3. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

It has a charging light system that lets you know when things are falling below the voltage requirements. And was is an R/R? confused by your wording there.

4. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    The stock seat is pretty terrible (since it mashes one's crotch into the tank).
    A Power Commander 5 (or Rapid Bike module) is needed to smooth the thing out and make it run like it should, as Honda really mucked up the fueling for emissions reasons.

5. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

Yeah it came with a power commander. I had heard that, that was a must have.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi David and welcome to a robust and helpful forum.

What is your experience with motorcycles? The answer to that can help us decide how much detail we should first offer you.

Forgive me for I just find it easy to brain dump everything that comes to mind:

You should check everything out. Brakes for binding, dark fluid, charging voltages at idle and 5000 rpm, lube pivot points, chain & sprocket condition, thermostat (fresh on my mind since mine I think mine is stuck open). Check the wheels carefully for any dents from pot holes or curbs. Check that the kickstand spring is robust and pulls it right up, and does not sag.

Synchronize the starter valves. This is an idle control circuit that bypasses the butterflies and provides all air intake from idle to 4% throttle. There are 3 adjustable valves that you will set for vacuum using a 4-position manometer or 4 separate vacuum gauges. A poor tune severely affects off-idle throttle response, warmup, and starting under different conditions.

Using Power Commander Windows software connect to the PC and verify the map against the bike year and hardware. Any receipts for a dyno run, or comments in the map itself (you have to select a function to enable the comments as they do not show up by default.) This should give you an idea if the PC was just connected willy-nilly or if it was tuned properly for your bike.

R/R refers to the regulator/rectifier which are built into one piece of hardware.

For just about anything you need to do, a search of this forum will help you find advice, otherwise feel free to start new posts.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    R/R = Rectifier / Regulator

As for the charge light, is simply a light that is either in an on or off state or does it give you an actual voltage readout? You want one with an actual voltage readout.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness :wave:
    Congratulation on your new ride :thumb:
    Merry Christmas and ride safe ATGATT
    2006 on up are Solid bike :wink:

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    sargent seat fixed my seat problem, I have the exact same bike with abs in black-a rare bike-not too many abs models.:vtr2: P1010245.jpg P1010115.jpg P1010192.jpg IMGP0354.jpg P1010100.jpg P1010088.jpg IMGP0315.jpg IMGP0322.jpg
    sliders are a must as it will fall over.

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Nice motorcycle. And props to you for opening with a pic of your bike!

Welcome aboard.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010247.jpg IMGP0326.jpg t bos carbon slip-on loses about 19pds in weight, I just have one can.

12. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

It has a different color light based on the voltage. There is a chart with it different colors and flashing means different voltages. I still need to go to the bike and see how it is all wired in. It is in my buddies shop at the moment for the winter.

13. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

Thanks for your input. I am fairly new with motorcycles. I am an aircraft mechanic so I know the basics when it comes to mechanical issues. It does have the power commander. I will have to hook it to my laptop to find out what map it actually has installed on it. Is there a certain cable I need to hook it to my laptop? Sorry, the whole power commander thing is confusing to me.

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Did the prior owner tell you what kind of map is installed in the Power Commander - dynotune or downloaded from the website or from a another source?

15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I just bought myself a charging indicator. The best way for it to be wired is direct to the battery through a switched and fused relay. You can connect to any other power source (eg instrument lights) but you might get false readings.

Once you've got some saddle time, you could look to a suspension update, the VFR chassis responds well to decent springs and dampers set up to your weight and preferences. Google Daugherty Motorsports for a well-proven option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. davidgerrit93

davidgerrit93 New Member

The Power Commander was mapped with the owner previous to him and he said he never messed with it and it as always run smooth.

17. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    It is a USB cable. I think the connectors are Type-A (normal USB you are used to) and Mini-B. If you have cell phone or digital camera USB cables, try those. You may have this cable lying around.

When you hook it up and open the software, the bike's map will auto-download.

18. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map

Well, then, unless you want to pay a dynotuner for a custom map uniquely suited to your motorcycle you might leave well enough alone for now . . .