VFR1200X and Africa Twin both coming to US. Will VFR1200X Sell?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Jan 1, 2016.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Not sure this has been discussed yet. It's nice to see that Honda USA (and Honda Canada) are bringing both the Africa Twin and the VFR1200X to North America, but I'm wondering if the VFR1200X will sell well. In Canada, the VFR1200X is priced at $4000 above the Africa Twin, so I think that will put off some buyers right away. Engine-wise, I think both will be interesting, but I'm sure that a lot of riders will think that the 1000cc parallel twin is enough engine. Then there's the dirt/street orientation. With the good press that the Africa Twin has had about its offroading ability, I think Honda was thinking that both bikes would serve different needs - the 1200X would essentially be a bike like the other big adventure bikes - mainly for the highway, but capability to handle some gravel roads/dirt roads. And the Africa Twin would be available for off-road, and trails (in the consumer's mind anyway. I can't see many people using it in this capacity other than light offroad but it'll be interesting to see what comes of it), so I'm thinking that people will see it as a more versatile bike, and I'm wondering if the 1200X's will be collecting dust.
    That being said, I'm interested in the $4000 difference in the 1200X. What justifies it? I presume that there are higher production costs, and perhaps, higher quality and better performance. I'd like to see what's behind the extra money - better wheels? Suspension? Something tells me that a lot of it has to do with the development costs of the v-four 1200 cc. If the development costs of that engine are that high, so that all of the 1200 v-fours have to be in that price range, I'm wondering why the parallel twin 1000cc does not also have as high development costs? Are parallel twins less costly to develop? Production was likely Thailand, but wasn't it engineered in Japan? Wouldn't the development costs of one be similar to the other?

2. chris.townsend

chris.townsend New Member

So what is the msrp for the 1200x? I test rode a r1200gs the summer, almost bought it, but found out people where having issues. So I've been riding my beat up 99 vfr waiting for it to die, maybe the 1200x will be my next bike. Or a motus mst-r (in my dreams!)

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I doubt they will sell too well which is a plus in my thinking-look for deep discounts like the VFR.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    They are two very different bikes ... whether it sells or not ... ??

Right now, there's a big appetite for sporty touring bikes designed for slab that look and have the ergonomics of adventure bikes. Enter the VFR1200X. Make no mistake, this is not an adventure / off road bike.

Then, there's the the crowd looking for a fully functional adventure bike that you'd take on rough roads and off road. Enter the Africa Twin.

Two very different bikes and very different crowds.

No way to tell how the market will react at this time ... ??

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    ...and cleverly available from Honda San Inc, brought to you by pressdudes just off the plane still burping up sake, sushi, memories of spinners in kimonos.

6. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I think the Africa Twin is gona be a great bike, the crosstourer (vfr1200x) is ok, I think there is a major recall at the minute because of driveshaft failure,same applies to the vfr1200,same drivetrain.
    I test rode the vfr1200x, nice bike, but if I had the cash I'd be buying the new AT.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    AT would be the best-smaller is better. that's why the 800 is so special.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, I'd be getting an Africa Twin if I had the money - the VFR800 does everything else I want / need it to do. :)

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe.. man this is going to be a tough sell here state side, KTM owns the market share. and those in the know, well, they know. IMO the 1200 just might make a better road bike over the VFR version. The African twin? come on now a parallel twin? at what price? Really? This outa be good to see play out. Honda at it's best trying to convince us what we want, NOT! Believe or not I like Honda, but that's just it. I don't love em. I want too, yet they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The Africa twin is sort of interesting. The 1200 literally does nothing for me. Boring. Late in the game and while I don't know anything about the 1200 engine, I'm already bored with their version of a full market. So much too little, too late.

Honda forgot what it means to actually lead, they only know how to follow. Pitiful. They used to mean something, now they are so far off the back burner, their pan is cold.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm all for a frontal assault on Honda Inc. until they start doing what we want them to do. Short of that, laying on the floor, holding one's breath and kicking one's feet and repeating "I want that" works in smaller groups.

The above combination of events might prove difficult if not rehearsed prior to execution in public.

12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    20151122_132749.jpg
    Even KTM rep. Love the AT :wink:

13. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow, so there's going to be a driveshaft recall on my 2010?

14. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow, regardless of what you say, I wish I had girls walking around like that on my deck!!
    I think you're right - they're late in the game for the 1200X, but they're not late in the game for the Africa Twin - if what the press says is right, they're hitting the offroad mark very well. So maybe the best balance between offroad and onroad? That would be at the head of the pack!
    Oh but the girl on the deck....

15. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    In Canada, msrp on the Africa Twin, non-DCT is $13,999. The 1200X is $17,999. DCT adds $1000 to the AT. Hmm Motus mst-r. Sounds exotic and highly unreliable! :loyal:

16. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Just found the Motus. Wow, gorgeous. What's the word on reliability? Comfort? That's the best looking sport tourer I've ever seen. Little unsure of going to a pushrod engine with that type of performance. Why not overhead cams??

17. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    $38,000 for a Motus! These guys are dead unless they move to Thailand!

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    At those prices and only getting 2 piston s -what a rip off, buy a used vfr 800 06-09 for $6,000 and spend the rest saved money buying some bad booze. The 800 is a better bike too.:puke:

19. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I think there's a recall on them all but check with your dealer.

20. chris.townsend

chris.townsend New Member

It's a pushrod bad American v, how could that be unreliable? US as Americans don't get much right, but the pushrod v motor is something we have down pat. every part is based on a ls series v8, including internals, I don't see how you can go wrong if you can just afford the admission fee to get it.