BC local knowledge needed.

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by laurie, Jan 22, 2016.

1. laurie

laurie New Member

Australia
    Hi all
    I will be spending some time in BC this July August Septrmber, and will be doing a bike trip with my Son while I am there. Ive mapped out a rough route, and am looking for info on places to stay/avoid, reputable bike hire companies etc etc.
    The route so far is Vancouver to Banff via Kamloops, Hope, Merritt. Return via Mt Robson then back dow to Kamloops and Vancouver.
    How long do you guys reckon is reasonable for those distances, given that I want a relaxed pace with plenty of stops for coffee and oggling the scenery along the way? I am guessing about 10 days, but I dont know the roads or riding conditions in this part of the world.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Laurie

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    BC has great roads and really restrictive speed limits.

Check the BC regs for how old a child must be to ride pillion.

It might be worth a few dollars to invest in a GPS that you can use in Canada and when returning home.

There are no Canadians on this forum of late. They are all snowbound. ;)

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You have a few options on travel routes. Some are boring to many such as the Coquihala Hwy from Hope, through Merrit and on to Kamloops. It is basically a freeway speed limit 120kmh. That is Hwy 5. The Trans Canada Hwy (hwy 1) runs through Banff.

The speed limits here are consistant with most other places except maybe Germany. But to do 40 kmh over the speed limit and get caught, means you risk vehicle impoundment. Doesn't matter if it is rented. Its impounded. So you will pay rent while it is on impound and also the impound fees.

Doing a trip like that is 10 days is doable but you wouldn't be doing a lot of kicking back. You should use google maps and map out your trip. GMaps will give you the mileage and time it may take. If the Canadian dollar stays the way it is, you should be able to make your money go a long way.

What brings you here? Work? Give me a heads up when it is closer to your travel time. Chilliwack is just a little over an hour fron down town Vancouver. I meet people for lunch often in Vancouver and wouldn't give it a second thought to run out there to meet you. You travel right through Chilliwack to get from Vancouver to Hope and beyond.

4. BCAl

BCAl New Member

Canada
    Map
    Another place you can plan your route is at drivebc.ca It gives you information about road work and closures. There are many routes you could take depending on what you want from the trip. If the destination is the point of the trip then the Coquihalla from Hope to Kamloops is the quickest route through the interior of BC. But if you want a good ride then there are many different ways to get to Banff. With not all routes going through Kamloops.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I don't know how old your son is or if he will be a passenger on your bike or will be riding alone. If he is a passenger, in a nut shell, he can be under 16 years of age provided he wears a helmet, rides seated on an actual seat, and can and does have his feet on the passenger foot pegs

Motor Vehicle Act BC

194 (1) A person must not operate a motorcycle on a highway unless seated astride the driver's seat of the motorcycle.

(2) A person, other than the operator, must not ride on a motorcycle on a highway unless

(a) the motorcycle is designed and equipped to carry more than one person,

(b) the other person rides

(i) astride the permanent and regular seat if designed for 2 persons, behind the operator,

(ii) astride another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind the seat occupied by the operator, or

(iii) on or in another seat firmly attached to one side of the motorcycle, and

(c) in the case of paragraph (b) (i) or (ii), the other person has both of his or her feet positioned on the foot pegs or floorboards of the motorcycle.

(3) A person must not operate or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle on a highway if the person is not wearing a motorcycle safety helmet that

(a) is designated in regulations under subsection (6) (a) as an approved motorcycle safety helmet, or

(b) meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (6) (b).

(4) A person who is operating a motorcycle must not permit another person under the age of 16 to ride on the motorcycle in contravention of

(a) subsection (2), or

(b) subsection (3).

(5) Despite subsections (2) and (3), a person under the age of 16 who contravenes subsection (2) or (3) does not commit an offence.

(6) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) designating a helmet as an approved motorcycle safety helmet for the purposes of this section;

(b) prescribing standards and specifications for motorcycle safety helmets;

(c) exempting a person or class of persons from the requirements of subsection (3) and setting out conditions for the exemption.

(7) Without limiting section 210 (7), regulations under subsection (6) of this section may incorporate by reference, with or without modification, in whole or in part, a standard or specification or an approval, certification or designation associated with a standard or specification of or published by a national or international standards association, as amended from time to time before or after the making of the regulation.

(8) Without a warrant, a peace officer may

(a) demand that a person produce a motorcycle safety helmet to allow the peace officer to determine whether the motorcycle safety helmet complies with subsection (3), and

(b) seize the motorcycle safety helmet if, on production of the motorcycle safety helmet, the peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a person has contravened subsection (3) or (4).

(9) A person commits an offence if the person obstructs or attempts to obstruct a peace officer acting under the authority of subsection (8).

(10) Except when overtaking and passing other motorcycles, more than 2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side in the same direction in the same traffic lane.

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You might also be interested in this. A few from here are going on this ride. A few from the Greater Vancouver area will be going, and if you decide you want to go along, you can ride out there with us. The Kootenays are great for riding and if you want, you can spell off and continue on your way to Banff. You will be in that general area. General area by our standards is withing a few hundred miles.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...ficial-thread/

This is your basic route to cover where you want to go. It is all scenic but there are better options for you with more scenery and less slabbing of freeways.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vanc...8862896,941139m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m50!4m49!1m5!1

The Trans Canada (Hwy 1) is not a freeway and still in some places its is two lane. A lot of traffic in the summer months. If you can afford some more time, I would travel more the southern route along the Crows Net Hwy (3). There is some really beautiful scenery up around Kananaskis AB which is east of Banff if you can swing that.

7. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    On a recent trip to Calgary to visit friends, the family and I stopped for a night in Banff so that we could take the kids up the Sulfur Mountain Gondola. We stayed at a place called the Banff Caribou Lodge and Spa.

http://www.banffcariboulodge.com/

The room was fairly spacious, comfortable and the room charges were very reasonable considering the quality of lodgings. The lodge also has a restaurant located in the lobby called "The Keg" and the food is excellent, especially if you like thei specialty which is prime rib. Room was $189 per night for 4 of us and underground parking was included. Most hotels in Banff have underground parking as parking is severely limited on street and numerous places charge $15-35 per night for parking on top of room charges. Most of the other hotels/lodges/motels in Banff were well over $300 per night. July and August in Banff would be considered the midst of high season so I'm sure the rates would be be higher but I would think the rate difference would be relative. The lodge is located on the Main Street in Banff and is fairly close to both the Sulfur Mountain Gondola and the Hot Springs, though I would recommend riding to both as the climb in elevation is fairly significant. If you decide to try the Sulfur Mountain Gondola, I would recommend going up first thing in the morning as it gets VERY crowded, VERY quickly. We arrived at about 9am (before the gondola started) and there was about 100 people let in line. IMHO the ride up the mountain is definitely worth the fantastic view of the surrounding area.

If money was less of an object and you wanted to splurge on accommodations, The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and the Rimrock Resort Hotel are both amazing hotels with fantastic views. The Rimrock Resort Hotel would be within walking distance of the Gondola and The Banff Hot Springs though are much further from the downtown area.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The OP wants to know aboot bike rentals and places not to go to too. He might want to go to a couple of titty bars too.

9. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Map
    The only motorcycle rental place in Vancouver is cycle bc. I've talked with a couple of people that have used them and been happy with the experience.

There are some great roads in BC. They are generally in good condition, well signed and free from debris. From Vancouver #99 North then West from Cache Creek is excellent. #3 from Hope is also excellent. #5 is the fastest route both in terms of speed and distance, it has some nice scenery but lacks riding excitement.

You will get stuck behind countless campers and trailers on mountain highways. Passing opportunities are limited so just be prepared sit back and enjoy what's around you or pull over and wait for open road. One last piece of advice is to ease into riding around BC so you don't end up in the ditch or worse.

10. vernonpedro

vernonpedro New Member

Map
    Laurie, if you are looking for some twisties to enjoy with your son, let us know. Several local members can offer some stunning roads. Like Randy, I'd be happy to guide you for a day on some super southern-interior roads. Also Google Destination Highways BC.
    Peter

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This last summer I did a solo trip up through Castlegar into New Denver then over around Kelowna and Kamloops.
    It was F-ing amazing, by the way. :)

This book was pretty handy for a motorcyclists viewpoint.
    http://www.destinationhighways.com/whatisdh.htm

Mike.

12. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    You'll have plenty of great options & routes to choose from using your way points. My wife & I did a trip through Jasper and Banff last August (would've been better on the bike if she would've let me!) - lots of RV'ers through Jasper and Banff so be prepared to take your time but breathtaking scenery for sure! Also, for what it's worth, I try to avoid Hwy 5 as I find it pretty boring - would much rather take Hwy 1 to Cache Creek and cut over. Sounds like a great trip whatever you decide - enjoy!

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Hey neighbour. Lets go for a ride.

14. laurie

laurie New Member

Australia
    Hi all
    Thanks so much for the relies. The trip is a while off yet,but you have helped firm up some ideas. My Son and daughter in law live in Burnaby,the purpose of the three month stay is to see how we like it,with a view to moving there permanently. Will see how that goes. We have found a place to rent for 3 months, so i will have a bit of time for riding. I will get back to you all at a later date about maybe meeting up for a day ride, i could borrow my sons little bike(gs 500) or hire a bike for some day rides.
    Cheers
    Laurie

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Send me a PM when you come over. I will send you my contact info and we can take it from there. Don't know if we can stand any more of you Aussies over here though. You guys are just too radical for the "boring lackluster Canadian PC" way. If you come though, you can learn a traditional Canadian pastime of drinking quality beer then fight with the grizzlies. Bare handed!

16. laurie

laurie New Member

Australia
    Randy
    Plan B, i drink the beer,you fight the Bears.....deal?
    Laurie

17. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Absolutely! I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime. My bike isn't out of hibernation for a bit yet but the bike show this past weekend started to get me excited for the spring!

18. laurie

laurie New Member

Australia
    Randy, Brandon
    I will be arriving in Burnaby this coming Wednesday. Once weve settled in and ive got a sim for my phone I will PM you. If the offer still stands it would be great to have a ride and a beer or 3 with you.
    Cheers
    Laurie

19. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Sounds good - safe travels! By all means, touch base when you get settled & the offer certainly still stands.

20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Wife and I are heading out in the fifth wheel to Winnipeg for 4 weeks or so, not to return till middle-end of July. Will you have your bike here? Regardless, we will meet for an amber or two. Daughter ilves in Burnaby and son in Coquitlam that is not far either. I will send you a PM with my partics

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016