Nasty deposits on intake valves

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by seano, Feb 3, 2016.

1. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    Looked down into the intake ports today, and the valves have all manner of black, gooey looking shite on the backsides of them. I've done the Sea Foam intake cleanout on cars where you suck it in full strength while the car's running through a vacuum line - with good results. I'd like to do the same w/ the VFR. Is there a vacuum line for me to use, or can I just have bike running w/ air filter out (lawn mower fuel tank setup) and squirt it directly into each carb?

2. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone???

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    IF, imo you can do direct down the throats, in fact I believe that is what recommended. I've used sea foam on cars but they where FI and it was applied right at he butterfly paddle engine running all though it's going to run real rough when doing this. I'm not sure though if it will clean that gunk up though if it's as think as you say.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    techron is made for that and does help

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^yep, was going to say use that, but it will take awhile. Its what I use, good ole Chevron super.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    What is the history of this bike? Has it been run in a playful manner in recent history? Some portion of the yucko should burn off from riding at the top of the rev range. I might use an appropriate fuel cleaner, only as directed, ride it like you stole it on a gruesomely hot day, then re-evaluate the mess on the valves.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. ragincanadian

ragincanadian New Member

Yup, what knight said ^^

I've had a few old cars that just needed to be blasted out on the freeway every few months.

Suggest you stop driving like a grandmother. Maybe try upgrading your purse to a fanny pack? They are much more secure.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Could it be running rich?

9. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    I've never run Techron in it, but understand that I should from time to time. I consistently use "bargain" gas, so at the very least I need to alternate the cheap gas w/ name brand gas that has some good detergent additives.

Yes, it is in fact running rich, and I will make adjustments to the pilot. Did a thorough carb disassemble and clean 2 years ago, and afterward started to adjust the pilots. It was taking me FOREVER because it's really difficult to access the pilots, along with burning my hands and not being able to detect the 50 rpm change in the idle. I ended up leaving "well enough" alone, though I could always smell the fuel in the exhaust afterward. Just want to get these deposits cleaned out as well.

As far as the fanny pack goes, don't you feel that they're a bit passé? I guess I just feel more stylish with a nice purse . . .
    But seriously, I do get into the higher revs on a regular basis. At this point I'm convinced it's from the rich mixture. \

Any particular brand of gas in addition to Chevron you guys think has a good additive package? Thanks for all your input!!

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    shit gas will destroy your engine

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Did you check for bad starter valves and corroded terminals?

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    BB has a corroded mind what's left of it

13. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    Billy, I'm not sure what starter valves are. As for the terminals, you talking battery terminals???

14. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Seano, I suggest that you put the above two trolls on your ignore list.

Starter valves is a reference to an idle control circuit in the fuel injected bikes. The butterflies are closed at idle and air bypasses directly into the cylinder to maintain idle. There is a valve for adjusting the vacuum in each cylinder.

15. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Holy shit.

I agree with something SOW said!
    I also understood it!

I always run the best petrol available in my bikes. Anything else is a false economy.

16. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    In Aus we have a choice of
    91 RON - older bikes hate it, hard to start and run poorly
    95 RON - ok, bikes start ok and run ok
    98 RON - great, bikes start and run well and don't build up lots of crap on the valves or in the combustion chamber

If you can buy the techron concentrate (here it is called techron 5000) from Caltex/chevron then run the concentrate with the best pump petrol you can find. Do this for a couple of tanks and most of the crap should clean out of the combustion chamber.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Just kidding.. Knight was curing all ills for aboot a dozen or so posts with starter valves and corroded terminals as some sort of universal fix all.

Switch your gas to premium and run some Techron through it. One thing at a time on these bikes. Taking your bike out on a hot day and running it hard is a great way to fuck up an engine that is not running right. Blowing out the carbon is old hat stuff. It might work but a chunk of carbon on a valve seat at 8 or 9K RPM can get serious real quick.

So much for Knight..who has had one bike (motorcycle) and only has done rides of 60 miles.. A novice.. A paper shuffler.

As to terminals, battery terminals on VFRs will corrode. The terminals that cause major problems are those associated with the regulator/rectifier/stator assemblies. Many references to that particular problem from contributors with actual hands on experience and owners of current and past VFRs.

Best to go with the dudes that know and aren't worried about their manicures..;)

18. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for everything fellas. Can't wait to get this beast put back together and hit some warmer weather!