Dynojet Power Commander III

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Big_Panda, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello everyone, just got myself a 2004 VFR abs. Previous owner did a number of mods to it including a Power commander 3. I've read up on what the PC3 does but am wondering how much it effects mileage. I'm getting about 140 miles per tank which, I feel, isn't that good. Doing 95% highway and not getting into it much. I haven't checked to see what kind of map is set up seeing that I don't have a Windows laptop/computer to use. Do most people run the PC3s? Is there a "right" setting or is it one of those nothing-is-right-it-just-depends-on-what-you-want type situations?

I scanned the stickies but didn't see a thread on this issue. If it's already been discussed ad nosium please point me in the right direction.

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Panda welcome.

Here is an active thread where we have been discussing gas mileage:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/206-VFR-Fuel-Economy?highlight=gas+mileage

The answer to your question is yes, the PC is probably reducing mileage as the stock bike most likely has more lean areas than rich areas, which the PC is now correcting. However, the full answer is to check the entire bike because there are several systems that can affect mileage.

* Sprocket changes like going down teeth in the front and up teeth in the back are like a permanent downshift. If the bike has shorter gearing, the additional revs will eat up gas. If you were not told the gearing, at gearingcommander.com you can take your speed and cross reference to find your gearing. Although it does not have 2003-2006 VFR for some reason, but has 2007. Maybe there are posts here with the speeds for your bike that someone can point out.

* Thermostat: Start the bike and put your hand on the radiator. If it warms with the bike the thermostat is stuck open. That means running cool and lower mileage. The radiators should stay cool until 180 or so, then get unbearably hot all at once.

* Brakes: Spin each tire. If you do not get two spins out of each the brakes are binding. This is very common! If this bike sat a long time, there was dark or crystallized fluid when you got it, or they changed the fluid before selling it but the reservoir is stained very dark below the fluid line, there may be crystallization in the caliper. Among other things that means cleaning/replacing the seals, inspect/replace any pistons that got nicked from sticking.

* Spark plug type and age?

* Power Commander: There are stock maps people download which approximate the bike's setup, particularly for a slip on or a full exhaust. If you can get a hold of a windows tablet or laptop, and upload the map, there are comments in the map to tell you which map it is. You can compare it to the bike hardware. Since I do not have a personal laptop, for this task I bought a $100 Windows tablet with a replacement warranty (in case it gets damaged out in the garage.)

Did the prior owner dyno the bike?

Use your smell and sight to inspect the oil for gasoline. Observing gas in the oil would mean it is running dangerously rich.

If you want to reduce your gas usage on trips you may always load a zero map (zeros in all cells of the table.) That will mean "no change" from the stock fueling.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Two words..JETT TUNING.
    Look them up in Camarillo. Just tyno'd my bike, found out 40+ mpg which translated to running very lean..more HP and torque. .alittle less on milage now but runs real strong now.
    Very experienced and worked for a number of teams including HRC. Full service
    He's on Facebook as well

4. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Knight and duccmann for the info. I'll begin checking those out. Duccmann how much did the service you got at Jett Tuning run you?

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Full service besides oil which I just did, completely gone threw electrical system, flushed coolant and brake and clutch fluids, inspection of everything plus dyno'd $650...actually took it for valves but said to be honest didn't want to waste my $$, sounds great and idles perfect. ..maybe at 50,000miles..now has 31,650.
    $640
    First actual service in 6 years since 1800 miles