Holy Crap, I lost my only gas key

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by THRASHED, Feb 8, 2016.

1. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Long story short, my key chain fell apart on the way to work today. Luckily I ONLY lost my gas cap key and I had already filled up before leaving. I went to the dealership and they show that I should only have one key for everything, but I have two (one for the ignition, one for the gas and helmet lock). I have gone to a locksmith years ago with the lockset in hand and that cost $75. I already feel like an idiot for not having a duplicate made, I'd rather not add insult to injury by paying $$$ for a key.

What are my options?

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Hey your really fuckin stupid:banana:

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    WTF SOW? What happened to the new you? That's a real asshole thing to say. Especially from you!

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, and by the way, it's you're.

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Well I am sorry-I couldn't help myself:bluesbros:

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I never realized tretts was an issue in type. My apologies to tbose who actually suffer.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I feel like a idiot too, but I do have spare keys and I don't loose keys either:bug:

8. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    should be able to take lock to locksmith and get them to cut a blank from the code on lock.
    I have had that done several times and locksmith charges $10-15 for cutting from code plus blank.

9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If the ignition and other keys are different it sounds like you obtained your VFR at least secondhand - as they left the factory with two identical keys, and either could be used on all the locks on the bike - ignition, seat and gas cap. It rather sounds like your bike has had a new ignition barrel and key supplied at some stage. Why? One can only speculate - although if it was in the UK, then the chances are someone smashed the original lock whilst attempting to steal the bike (I rather doubt anyone would change the seat and gas cap locks but keep the original ignition barrel).

What this means is that if you head along with your ownership papers to a Honda motorbike dealership they should be able to use the VIN plate data to look up the original key number set and supply a replacement. I am betting the key they would provide will be the key you need to open the petrol tank cap and remove the seat on your bike. I have no idea how much this will be, but as the earlier VFRs did not use digital coded keys, hopefully it should not be too painful!

Alternatives

I cannot advise on options your side of the pond, but in the UK a few of the better locksmith/key cutting firms can identify and supply a replacement key - but it would entail you taking the bike and ownership papers along to them so they can (1) know you actually own the bike and (2) potentially remove and dismantle the seat lock to use it to identify the key pattern to cut a replacement.

There are also a few firms who offer to supply replacement keys online. Whilst this may be the cheapest option I would normally be rather wary of suggesting anyone use this sort of service, as inherently it means they will ask for a copy of your current title documents and the VIN registration number in order to post one or more replacement keys to you. The risk comes because it is always possible that someone inside the organisation is corrupt. With the details you have provided, it would be fairly easy to make an additional key and send that key and your address details to an accomplice who could go to your address and wait until the bike was unguarded and simply use the extra key to ride off with your VFR. However as you already have a different ignition lock on your VFR, I guess the online solution has little risk for you and may prove to be by far the cheapest.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

10. NormK

NormK New Member

Skid, we are talking about an 87 VFR here, I doubt organized crime will be too interested in it. I would just unbolt the complete cap and take it to a locksmith

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    There is a key code on the back of the helmet lock, it is a series of numbers and letters but the last three are all you need. The code is an A,B,C, or D and then two numbers. Any locksmith worthy of paying should be able to cut you a key with the code. There is a flimsy strap that secures the lock in place that you will have to get oot of the way to read the code.

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Just went through the same exact thing as described above by the "sefl-prolaimed-great-one" I woulda told you to the same thing, but "mr. wolderful" beat me to it. I had the key lock changed on one of my latest greatest viffers petrol tanks by the same doode who keyed the lock for my new donor bike. At the end, I think it was 35 dollars for the ignition lock and 15 for the cap. He is the greatest locksmith on the face of the earth too :loco: :peace:

13. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    All the locks have the code but the helmet lock is the easiest to get at on gen two. If you park your bike outside you may want to scratch off the code ,after you write it down, so the wrong person won't get the code and have a key made for your bike.

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sounds like the original gas tank was replaced.

Can we vote on the Mr. Wonderful title? It's down to three. Donald Trump, SOW and Norcalboy.

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    One vote for SOW

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The polls are now closed due to SOW's hanging chads.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow SOW, now for a good tongue slashing from Bad you know who. Back on subject, lots of good feed back here, except for one. I had a 87, only had one key, so the real fix is as you know by now is get the ignition and seat lock compatible with the tank, or get a whole new set. GL

18. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    On hondapartshouse they only have the ignition for the VFR700F2, no longer the other two locks.

19. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! Now that is what I call a response. I got a lot of humor and actually some good advice. Thanks ToeCutter for the advice. I may need that code, but here is what happened since posting this.

I got home yesterday and found the other key I got with the bike (yes, from the original owner) and though it fit in the slot on both the tank and helmet lock it would not turn. I called the original owner since I know him. Years ago, when the bike was new, it appears organized crime was, in fact, interested and tried to steal the bike. He changed the ignition (hence, two keys). He can't explain why the other key doesn't turn because it should be the original factory spare. I called Honda this morning and they said a local Honda parts shop should be able to hunt down the key code via the VIN. I called and they are checking it out now. If that doesn't work I will try the code on the helmet lock.

For those who suggested pulling the gas cap...tried that. Though the ring comes free, it is still attached to the cap and the cap is locked to the tank. No joy on that one.

20. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the support (though I was laughing at the original replies), but thanks even more for your I.D. picture. Always makes my day when you comment on one of my posts.. :tongue: