Headlight wiring burned

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by AevogGT, Feb 10, 2016.

1. AevogGT

AevogGT New Member

Hello!
    I have noticed my right side headlight going off and on for the past day or so.
    I reach in and fiddle with the wire connector to the headlight and it comes back on, pull on it a bit and it comes out. Problem is that it looks like the connector is melted and burned.
    Has anyone ever experienced this? New harness is on its way as well as new headlights and fuses just to be safe but it boggled my mind!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    NAPA auto parts sells heavy duty headlight sockets with pigtail that you can replace bad socket. hope you didn't spend big bucks on a harness. Melted connectors are cause by resistance from corrosion. Resistance generates heat, just like your toaster!

3. AevogGT

AevogGT New Member

I didn't even think about napa! I only spent $20 on a new harness but maybe that'll go in the "just in case" pile and I'll go see what the parts store has. Thank you! Time for cleaning and dielectric grease... :loyal:

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Don't recommend dialectric (insulating) grease. Clean and burnish contact points, you want good metal to metal contact.

5. Djee

Djee New Member

Thanks Allyance, after reading that post, went straight to Napa for the sockets. Replaced them all and I have 2 low an 2 high beams now. Costed $ 12.