Fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NormK, Feb 11, 2016.

1. NormK

NormK New Member

I have a square, off ebay, I think they call them a solid state fuel pump fitted to my bike and I'm not sure if they have a built in pressure switch to stop them running when the floats stop allowing fuel to flow (I don't think they do). I also fitted a bypass with a pressure regulator in the line and that regulates the pressure to 1 psi. This allows the pump to run all the time with no problems. What I would like to fit is a timed delay so that if I turn the ignition on, if the motor hasn't started after say 5 seconds it will cut the power to the pump.This is also a safety requirement in the event of a tip over in the same way the original fuel pump relay idea worked. Any thoughts from the brains trust on this?

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Nobody have any thoughts?

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Ok so seems like the best way to do this is by fitting a PS-64 oil pressure switch. Can't seem to find them out here and postage from the States is rediculous. I'll keep looking

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I'm running a napa brand pump (it's meant for carbs, I don't recall the psi) on my other bike without any sort of pressure regulation. Float bowls haven't overflowed, it's wired to the normal fuel cutout relay. even the cheap mr. gasket pumps will kick off when supply is met.

5. NormK

NormK New Member

I haven't found the relay on mine, I figure it was removed years ago in a previous wiring mod. Oil pressure switch seem the way to go because it gives constant power to the pump, not the constant on /off supply by using a coil feed.

6. NormK

NormK New Member

Does anybody know what thread the oil pressure switch is, is it 1/8gas, I'm only guessing

7. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm using a facet 40171 solid-state pump w/ inline fuel filter on 87 vfr700. The pump has built-in shutoff.
    Not using pressure regulator, ran out of room behind the side cover.

I originally tried no-name solid-state pump (w/o shutoff) and carbs would flood when bike was parked.

good luck!

8. NormK

NormK New Member

That is good to know, thought I was just talking to myself for a while. Why would the carbs flood when the bike was parked?. I'm heading up the street shortly to see if I can get one of the oil pressure switches designed to shut fuel pumps off. They switch the pump on when you push the start button, then switch back to run mode once the oil pressure comes up, pretty fail safe idea, much better that that idea of running the pump off one of the coil wires

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    TOO complicated. Seems like it wouda been less hassle to use a stock pump, available used from any good salvage yard and fitted to a wide variety of Japanese bikes from the era. :beguiled:

10. NormK

NormK New Member

Squirrel, wish we had a salvage yard here, let alone a good one, only thing we have is ebay and we all know what that is like

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
  12. NormK

NormK New Member

Yup, that would sure help

13. NormK

NormK New Member

Ended up too simple in the end, gave up trying to get an oil pressure switch, ended up getting from a car wrecker a Carmtrol unit, used for lpg cars as a fuel safety switch, wired to - of one of the coils and job done, ignition on, pump runs for 2 seconds and shuts off if the unit doesn't get a signal from the coil. Cost $5