Stuck in 5th gear

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by adamw412, Mar 14, 2016.

1. adamw412

adamw412 New Member

it's been quite a while since I was around here. I sold my last vfr a couple years back. But now I am in the market for one. Saw a late 86 vfr7000f2 for sale today for real cheap that said it runs but stuck in 5th gear. Any idea how easy of a fix this would be? I am not afraid of getting dirty. I've read about people pushing the bike back and forth until the plate frees up, but is it really that simple? If it needs a new clutch, how costly does that run?

2. NormK

NormK New Member

If it is just that the plates are stuck, once freed up they would most likely be fine. As it is really cheap and if the plastics are ok it is worth taking a chance and if the gearbox does by some chance have a problem (it probably doesn't) you could part it our and make a bit of money on it

3. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    The clutch plates themselves are cheap (roughly $100). It's a job that only requires a few basic tools and that most people can do.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    A stuck clutch won't stop the gearbox shifting.

If it won't shift out of fifth, there's some gearbox damage. At the easiest that could be a broken return spring (which you should be able to feel) or more major like a broken shift fork. The parts are likely to be cheap, but you're talking about an engine-out /split the cases job if the gearbox needs a repair.

5. NormK

NormK New Member

If that is the case go back to my post and part it out

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    not the clutch. try rolling the bike back and forth a few times tapping the pedal down and squeezing the clutch lever.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    It could be the detent arm spring broke. So the arm can't move the star wheel on the end of the shifter drum. It doesn't matter because those parts are no longer available from Honda.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Grey is on the money again. It is MOST likely a problem with the shift shaft and related parts, all too common in a spill or fall where the shaft has taken a hit. The only other time I have seen one stuck in just one gear, that was not in the linkage, a shift drum guide had broken and the fork had nothing to guide it.

I am betting it is a simple problem with the shift drum or shaft, easy to pull the cover and take a gander.