'New' to me 1996 VFR 750 and Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by faran, Apr 1, 2016.

1. faran

faran New Member

United States
    'New' to me 1996 VFR 750 and Lots of questions for repairing crash damage

Guys, as you know about my recently acquired VFR750, I am starting this thread so that I can ask a lot of questions from all of you experts:

1- Handlebar is not aligned, left(clutch) side is leaning to the left while tire and front fender is in the center. Please see picture attached. How can I adjust and align it?

2-Moment or second I hold on to clutch, 'neutral' light comes on and very hard to tell if bike is actually in neutral or no? Anyway to take care of it? Bringing the bike to neutral also seems challenging?

3-Bike is idling at nearly 3500-4000 rpm, very annoying, going to adjust the idle.

4-Please see pictures for fairing damage, planning to repair them. Should I or leave them as is and maybe put some stickers on?

5-It was in late 60's and I was cruising at 55-65mph, but temperature gauge wasn't moving at all. It moved a little above 'C and not much beyond it. Is it normal or gauge is stuck?

6-Bike didn't come with a toolkit, am mostly interested in spanner for adjusting chain slack. Any pointers for it?

Other than that shifting of bike is smooth, runs like a top. I love these manual gauges and for some reason feel like it's a lot better than 2004; faster and lighter.

Here are better pictures to show fairing damage:

http://imgur.com/a/Wnbxm

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. faran

faran New Member

United States
  3. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

That's the idea, yes.

4. faran

faran New Member

United States
    One more thing, while bike is on the center stand, if I turn the handle clockwise, 'Push Start' touches the tank and is pushed. While clutch side, while rotating it anticlockwise, doesn't touch the tank at all. It means handlebar needs to be pushed to the right for proper alignment, correct?

Also, I have this type of fork stand, would that work too?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...d=0ahUKEwis8tO--u3LAhUBfyYKHadzATQQMwhDKBwwHA

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    #3 unless you can get the idle speed down to about 1200, shifting into neutral will continue to be a problem. :sorrow:

#5 You might need a new thermostat. :eagerness:

Proper chain adjustment involves finding the tightest spot and setting tension at that point. If then the chain is way too loose at other points, it's done wore out, and it needs replacement. :grumpy:

Find a parts fiche for the bike to find out what was included in the tool kit. The factory-supplied spark plug wrench is helpful as well as the chain adjuster. :tranquillity:

6. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

Unfortunately, no. That stand won't get the weight off the forks, the type you have is strictly for getting the weight off the wheel.

The goal here is to loosen the proper bolts without having the front end slide down the forks. That will make things uglier!

For handlebar position, the only important thing is clearance. Set the angles so they feel natural, then check clearance both in front of and behind while turning lock to lock. They should be well clear of the tank, and fairing. Check everything over for signs of cracks and distortion.

The left and right bar angles do need to be the same, no matter where
    you set the angle.

7. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Really good call about the idle adjustment and neutral switch. Definitely next on my list after handlebars. Thanks for that tip and input.

What if I don't change the thermostat? Would it cause any trouble? Yeah, I definitely need chain adjuster and spark plug tool. Will look into it. Thanks.

8. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Let me take your advice and follow for adjusting forks alignment and all. Then maybe release the pinch bolt on the clip on for throttle side and will try to adjust it from there? I have never done and sorry, that's why asking a million questions. Just don't want to mess anything up!

When you say " The left and right bar angles do need to be the same, no matter where
    you set the angle." you mean clip on angles, right?

9. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

Squirrel has been working on bikes a long time, none of his suggestions should be seen as "optional"

And yes, it will cause trouble. That bike being 20 years old, thermostat is on a list of items that should be changed purely due to age.

Some of us are doctors lacking a bit in bedside manner, but don't take it personal, it's all for the patient's good!

10. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Totally true and fine. Now where should I get the thermostat? Not really up for a 'Stealership' :D

Probably ebay or amazon or have any special links or places?

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Wait until you get into stop-and-go traffic to see the temp rise. If the fan doesn't kick in at about 2/3 of the gauge scale, you have a bad thermoswitch (not uncommon). If the temp doesn't show about 1/3 scale after riding for an hour at about 60-70 degrees ambient, you should replace the thermostat or you'll be wasting fuel and performance.

I believe that a thermostat from a 90's hONDA cIVIC, available cheap at autoparts store, will work in your bike and has similar opening temp, but check on other forums b4 buying.

12. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thank you again SM. Then I'll hold on to it before I fix other problems and will troubleshoot this one later.

13. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

This video is annoying as fuck to watch, but it's the only other one I could find.

He actually does it without loosening the top 2 bolts, and without a front stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czm21Js8iEk

And yes, clip on angles.

14. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Again a great tip :)

That I can easily buy from local auto parts store for cheap. Any idea which forum should I check on? I am on VFRD and this, is there any other one too?

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check @ www.hawkgtforum.com for thermostat and radiator cap, both of which should probably be replaced.

16. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Guys, I loosened all the pinch bolts, axle bolt, main bolt in the middle of handlebars but that handle is not straightening out. Tire is in one direction and handle is leaning towards clutch side.

Am I missing something? I tried hitting the wheel hard, rotating, pushing on triple tree and every possible thing, but it's not budging and moving at all? Just to be clear, I loosened clamp holding forks pinch bolts, one on each side. Then loosened one pinch bolt on each side of axle, main axle bolt, big bolt in the middle of steering/handlebars but it's not aligning/moving at all.

Any tricks or help please?

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Cheaping oot on a thermostat ain't a good idea. All it takes is once if it malfunctions.

Online parts sites generally are going to be less than a dealership. Dealership markups are up to the dealer, much like two dollar a pop aspirin at a hospital pharmacy.

You can get away with a drift to adjust your chain. The pin spanner is the right tool. If you really need to use a drift, loosen the pinch bolt accordingly.

What Redwing said aboot SQMan..

18. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thanks so much SM. By any chance do you have the part number for thermostat, as well as a cap? I have a few radiator caps laying around from japanese cars, one of them might fit though.

#3, I am an IDIOT was riding with a choke on. Idle is smooth and all good now!!!

19. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Yeah definitely not, I am not going to skimp on any of these things. Thanks for your advice and input.

Please forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by drift? I definitely am after 'spanner tool' though!

Thank you.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Pix of various kinds of drifts. I have seen posts that recommend using various screwdrivers. Drifts have flat ends. Best to order the pin spanner. There are posts in the archives from guys who make replacement spanners and even drawings of same.

You might want to compile a list of the various parts you need and go to one online supplier to keep shipping costs down. Many of the larger online suppliers have exploded drawings of various components with codes of the part #s.

Car "drifting" is along the same lines as tractor pulls, monster trucks and mullet haircuts. Not much new there if ya look at old race footage with Austin Mini-Coopers except for the mullets. Those were invented by harleydoods...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.12.1455.FyrwzboNEv8