Heated Grip replacement on the Deluxe

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by icycle2much, Apr 22, 2016.

1. icycle2much

icycle2much New Member

United States
    Map
    My grips are no longer providing any comfort, they are hard and slippery but the heating element still works. Now if this wasn't my primary ride including during the winter time, then I would replace with some aftermarket grips but I like the heat option. Especially when earlier this week the temps were in the low 40's during my commute!

From what I can tell, the grips on the 2014 VFR800D are all in one or are they not, I can't tell. The dealer wants $115/side to replace the grips - WTF! [HEATER ASSY., R. HANDLE GRIP, #35510-MJM-D12 & SET, L. HEATER ASSY. HANDLE GRIP, #35520-MJM-305]

However, the heated grips are available as an accessory item for half that price, so what's the difference in the two [GRIP HEATER & ATTACHMENT, #08T70-MJM-A00]?

Has anyone replace the grips on their Deluxe yet? What did you replace them with and does your heater function still work?

Thanks

Sean

2. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    Just install a set of Grip Puppies over the old grips. Heat will still transmit and you'll get all the cushion you need.

Google it.

3. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    That's definitely an option. I may look into peeling the rubber off to see if the element is within it or under. I'm a Progrip fanboy, particularly of the 714 D/S grips. I'll find a way to get them on it.

4. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    The wiring is integrated with the grip, so if it does turn out to be separate, you'll need to keep the inboard flange and modify any replacement.

5. icycle2much

icycle2much New Member

United States
    Map
    Talked to a dealer over the weekend and they were perplexed with the two different part options listed - no surprise there!

I have tried grip puppies and the foam makes the grips too thick, but it is viable work around if you XL hands.

Apparently Honda has vulcanized the heating element within the grip, making it very costly to replace. So glad its warming up and I don't need this function.

6. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Zombieing this thread. The OEM rubber wears quickly, it seems. Maybe with the heat. Anyway, I have Oxford heated grips that I plan on installing, using the stock heater controller.

I wish Honda didn't form it all as one piece. Just ordered a Motion Pro 01-0080 throttle tube, and a cool looking momentary button. No longer really need the heating function here in Phoenix, so I've got some time to tinker and troubleshoot, if necessary. But will post up pics when it's done, if anyone wants to do something similar.

7. CanadaMarc

CanadaMarc New Member

Canada
    Zombie Redux

Did you succeed in using oem controller for aftermarket heated grips?

cheers