98-99 vs 00-01

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Sparks in FL, May 3, 2016.

1. Sparks in FL

Sparks in FL New Member

United States
    I'm obviously very new to the forums; Thanks for having me, btw. I hope to buy my first VFR sometime later this year. I ride an RC51 and have grown addicted to the gear whine, and I'm just too old for carburetors, so here I am at Gen 5. I've read of the few differences between the first and second "halves" of Gen 5 production, and am interested to hear if anyone has strong thoughts or opinions on why I should consider one or the other. It probably doesn't matter for the converation, but I'll be looking for one with factory hard bags. Thanks in advance for your time, Sparks

2. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    If you're looking for one with factory hard bags, then you'll have to buy a 6th gen. 5ths didn't offer them.

Aside from that, the 98-99 didn't have a catalytic converter and I believe smaller fuel injectors.

3. Sparks in FL

Sparks in FL New Member

United States
    Thanks for the info, Jev

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    98-99 also has manual enrichment lever vs wax idle unit. Wax idle units are prone to failure.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hi there, welcome, your thinking is pretty good here picking a 5th gen, though a 4th may be better yet. But that's another subject for another day.
    98-99 where cat free and like what V4tour says they have a thing called the wax unit which controls the cold start system where the 98-99 have a manual lever enriching device. I have heard the 00-01 have a slightly smaller exhaust, but that's just a rumor, from what I know I'd think they would be the same but since emissions have a thing or two to say about that, they may be. other than the yellow 00, I prefer the 98-99 just because they are a tad different. Also the mirrors are different, 98-99s have what we call condom mirrors, where the 00-01 have metal stocks, which are way preferred. From that pick your poison, be hard to go wrong with either one.

6. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Both also use slightly different sized R/R's, and I think the plug ends might be a bit different as well. That doesn't really matter though, cause you'll probably want to fit an updated MOSFET one anyway.

as for hard bags most people have fit a kit from Givi, which I have and works fine. You can then slap on whatever cases from their line you want (or even cheaper options)

http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/honda/vfr800-99-01

7. Corkey

Corkey New Member

United States
    Map
    I think there is a very minor difference with the instrument cluster on the '00-'01 in that there is a "VFR" logo on the tachometer.

That logo adds a little bit of weight to the '00-'01, so the '98'-'99 will be a tiny bit quicker.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

00-01 also have O2 sensors so the FI/ECU is slightly different.

9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    who are we kidding, any VFR between 86-01' is good. Any others you'll need a cam chain tensioner dispenser installed in your garage. :potstir:

10. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Can't go wrong with any 5th gen, .... but yellow is faster!! :cool:

11. Sparks in FL

Sparks in FL New Member

United States
    Thanks for all of the input! I may wind up with a different Gen yet. I'll do some more reading around here, and see what else I come up with with. Thanks again!!