Where is this from? Part fell off during front fairing removal. 5th Gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by liamwithers, May 5, 2016.

1. liamwithers

liamwithers New Member

Hi there,

Hoping somebody can help me! I've been replacing the bulbs for the LCD (fuel gauge/clock/temp etc.) backlight, and in the process of putting everything back together, I've found some parts which may not have been correctly secured. It'll probably take a keen eye to know where specifically I've missed screwing something back together, but I thought it's worth a shot!

So the areas where these are most likely to have came from are:

1. Anywhere behind the front fairing
    2. Near the headlight fittings
    3. Potentially around the screen/side cowls, but less likely

The bike hasn't really been played with much in the past. I assume that the screws are identical to the ones out of the factory, hence hoping for somebody to know what I've missed!

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any information you may have and sorry for how vague this may seem!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
  3. Suraj

Suraj New Member

United States
    I recently worked on removing the front fairing (First time ever), so I remember these screws pretty well. Note that I have the 6th gen, so it might be a slightly different place on the 5th.

1. The star headed screw on the 6th gen holds the headlights and plastic fairing in place. There are 5 of those. They seem to be a bit longer. There are 2 similar looking screws (1 on each side) holding the plastic just below the wind shield and above the speedometer. They are exposed though and you wouldn't miss them.

2. The hexagonal headed screw hold the mirrors in place, there are 4 of those. So they are not on the inside on the 6th gen.

4. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    The rubber pieces look like the 2 rubber grommets that hold the front fairing. The fairing has 2 pins near the center that "plug" into 2 rubber grommets attached to a bracket on the fairing stay. Here's a diagram, part is #1: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c2b64f870023420a31091/upper-cowl.

5. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Liam

I did a How To thread on how to remove the upper cowl on the 5th gen and here is a link to the thread. I realize that you know how to do it now but it might jog your memory as to what screws came from where.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/43794-HOW-TO-Upper-Cowl-Removal-on-5th-Gen?highlight=

The two small machine screws look to me like they might come from either the two inner black cowl pieces that cover the inside of the mirror mounting posts, the two screws that attach the black instrument panel surround to the upper cowl stay, or perhaps the little black flap that covers the back of the instrument cluster as mentioned earlier. Or they could possibly be the screws that secure the front edge of the front turn signals.

The black rubber grommets look similar to the ones from the upper cowl stay that the positioning pins for the headlight would slot into. The only other place I can think of would be 4 rubber spacer grommets that sit on mirror post mounts to space the upper cowl away from the metal arms. Depends on how big they are diameter wise. These rubber spacer grommets on mirror posts would be the two on each side where the mirror mounting bolts thread into. They also help space the the windscreen away from the mounting stay tubes. These seem to fall off quite regularly when the cowl is removed.

I agree with the others that the hex head bolt looks like it might be one of the mirror mounting bolts/screws.

6. liamwithers

liamwithers New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Brill, the rubber grommets are from the mirror posts. I didn't even notice them when removing the mirrors!

The screws appear to be identical to what I have attaching the instrument panel, however I cannot for the life of me find another spot for them to go. Everything appears to be fitted securely, and everything except the mirrors are back on the bike now. I'll get the mirrors on and take her out for a slow ride, and have my fingers crossed that nothing falls off! Seems like quite a lot of hassle just to replace the bulbs in the instrument panel, but it needed doing!

This place seems like a friendly community, so no doubt I'll be popping in from time to time. Thanks for all the help guys :).